MRL Sword Hilted Dagger modification
I had an old Musem Replicas Sword Hilted Dagger (#402556) for years, and was never happy with it. The pommel was overly large in diameter and thick. The blade geometry down-right unattractive and something just off about the crosshilt and grip (The grip too blocky and long).

Years ago, I ground down the pommel to a more reasonable diameter, but it was still a simple tapered disc shape. I nipped about a quarter inch off of each side of the cross hilt, and I remade the grip out of wood and pig-skin to try and match the crip on an Albion Sovereign. Still not happy with it.

Eventually I ground down the pommel further. And swapped the hardware onto a poignard blade. That still didn't appeal to me. Finally I ground down the blade and pommel even further yet. The blade modification and pommel were all done by eyeballing it and one-handed using my 4" hand-held angle-grinder/cut-off wheel and hours of hand sanding.

The original dagger form:
[ Linked Image ]

Grinding down the pommel:
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

The finished result. I don't care for the yellow of the brass hardware. But it will make for a good pattern for making some nickle silver hardware.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Very nice work. The end result is very elegant looking.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: