What dagger would you use with a schinova?
Hello everyone,

What dagger would you use with a schinova?

Would a cinqueada work? Does anyone know any pictures or historical illustrations to share.

Thanks
Re: What dagger would you use with a schinova?
Cinquedea were used primarily at the very end of the 15th century and into the early part of the 16th century. I am not an expert on them, but I think they would have been relatively uncommon after circa 1550 AD. By contrast, the schiavona was developing during the 16th century and reached its full form in the 17th. Therefore, you would want daggers appropriate to this time frame.

Therefore, you would probably want a parrying dagger, most likely some sort of main gauche. You could also possibly use a stiletto, although I think the design of a main gauche would be more effective to be paired with a schiavona for the purpose of parrying.
Excellent
That’s excellent information

Thank you very much
Maybe an Eared dagger might be a possibility if the popularity of both eared daggers and the schiavona overlapped: Late use of eared dagger and relatively early use schiavona ?

The eared dagger was popular with nobles and the rich, and somewhat fashionable in Italy. At least plausible that there might be late continued use of an eared dagger if handed down from a previous generation ?

But most probable, and more common, would be a quillon dagger with or without side rings, or a true left hand dagger.

I just have and like a custom eared dagger made by Tod of Tod's Workshop for me a few years ago. ;) :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: