Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How do you know if a blade is properly heat treated? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam Arwas

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: How do you know if a blade is properly heat treated?         Reply with quote

I heard of a guy who sent an Albion to the Wisconsin workshop for some maintenance and then it was discovered that the blade was not properly heat-treated so they replaced it. While that certainly compliments the company's honesty it makes me somewhat nervous as someone who recently received my first Albion (Next Gen Knight). What are the odds that an improper heat treat would slip past quality control and how do you identity it?
Christian Short

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Improper heat treat         Reply with quote

I’ve owned right at 85 different Albions. I currently have 66. I’ve never had that issue with a blade from them. It’s more than likely a anomaly.
Christian
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Basicly if a blade either - (A) Bends and STAYS bent under *normal* use conditions, or (B) actually breaks under normal use, then you could reasonably assume that the heat treatment was faulty..either not treated at all or too hard, not tempered after the hardening process
T.L. Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If the story you heard was this Kingmaker review at https://youtu.be/p0kSscn7mk8 then bear in mind the problem was discovered during a sharpening job. I say you would have to notice how well the edge seems to hold up with use.
Sam Arwas

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T.L. Johnson wrote:
If the story you heard was this Kingmaker review at https://youtu.be/p0kSscn7mk8 then bear in mind the problem was discovered during a sharpening job. I say you would have to notice how well the edge seems to hold up with use.
Yep, that's the one!
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you know if a blade is properly heat treated?         Reply with quote

Sam Arwas wrote:
What are the odds that an improper heat treat would slip past quality control...

From a reputable company? Slim

Sam Arwas wrote:
...how do you identity it?

Proper heat treatment involves hardening and tempering, and that varies from steel to steel.

To check if your blade was hardened, run a file across the blade and see if it skates across the steel (it should). Alternatively, get a Rockwell hardness tester and actually measure the hardness.

To check if your blade was tempered properly, try bending the sword. It should flex and return to its original shape. If the sword snaps, then perhaps the blade was not tempered.

Wear your safety glasses, boys and girls, while doing blade testing!
Hamish C

PostPosted: Wed 30 May, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The file test will work differently for different blades(steel type and purpose of the blade). A knife made from high carbon steel,(.75 -1% carbon)can be heat treated very hard eg 62 Rockwell. It doesn't have to bend much or withstand impact like a sword. A file won't bite into the steel, and will just skate off. It will hold an edge for a long time, but will probably break the point off if you try to use it to pry out an arrow stuck in a tree.

Modern sword or axe steel for western replicas usually has less carbon (.6-.75 % carbon). It won't get as hard as higher carbon steel, the aim is usually 48-52 Rockwell hardness. This steel/hardness is tougher and less brittle, than the aforementioned knife. A file can be used to sharpen it.
Hamish C

PostPosted: Wed 30 May, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The file test will work differently for different blades(steel type and purpose of the blade). A knife made from high carbon steel,(.75 -1% carbon)can be heat treated very hard eg 62 Rockwell. It doesn't have to bend much or withstand impact like a sword. A file won't bite into the steel, and will just skate off. It will hold an edge for a long time, but will probably break the point off if you try to use it to pry out an arrow stuck in a tree.

Modern sword or axe steel for western replicas usually has less carbon (.6-.75 % carbon). It won't get as hard as higher carbon steel, the aim is usually 48-52 Rockwell hardness. This steel/hardness is tougher and less brittle, than the aforementioned knife. A file can be used to sharpen it.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How do you know if a blade is properly heat treated?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic