Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "Riveted" does not equal "Historical" Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew P. Adams wrote:
if you put linseed oil on steel, and heat it, just like seasoning an iron frying pan, the first couple layers are straw, then it goes a mottled gold/brown before darkening to black.

just a thought...

I would certainly think that smiths figured out thousands of years ago that burning different organic substances onto hot iron caused it to acquire a protective and decorative patina, but I cannot find any surviving examples or descriptions of the process from Europe before the sixteenth century. I have sources for polishing, tinning, covering with cloth or leather, painting iron, and gilding copper in the later middle ages.

Anyone who makes or commissions reproductions has to chose when to go with “they could have done X” and when to go with “the following texts and surviving pieces show that they sometimes did Y.” Personally, I would want evidence that they treated plate that way before I speculated that they did the same for mail which is constantly rubbing on itself.
Knut K.

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few people have asked if there could be lower grade maille, I think there could be. An apprentice needs to learn somehow, thus he will screw up some rings. The material worth being so high, why not add them to a low quality shirt at the bottom row? this shouldn't really affect the usability but it should lower the price and in some views, the quality.
Michael Long

PostPosted: Sun 13 May, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Riveted" does not equal "Historical"         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:

* Wrong shape rivet hole. Indian mail has rectangular holes. Historical wedge-riveted mail has ovoid holes. Rectangular holes tear very easily at the corners. Circular or ovoid holes are much stronger

What about wedge-rivetted mail?

Would wedge-rivetted mail have all these historical advantages that you're mentioned, or was it lower quality?
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: "Riveted" does not equal "Historical"         Reply with quote

Michael Long wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:

* Wrong shape rivet hole. Indian mail has rectangular holes. Historical wedge-riveted mail has ovoid holes. Rectangular holes tear very easily at the corners. Circular or ovoid holes are much stronger

What about wedge-rivetted mail?

Would wedge-rivetted mail have all these historical advantages that you're mentioned, or was it lower quality?

I'm not sure that I understand the question. Modern Indian wedge-riveted mail uses rectangular holes. Historical wedge-riveted mail used ovoid holes. Rectangular holes makes the link easier to tear and so makes it less able to resist weapons.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "Riveted" does not equal "Historical"
Page 7 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: