Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Western Martial Art "Tournament" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Fri 11 Feb, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Western Martial Art "Tournament"         Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just wanted to drop a quick note so that interested parties could "Save the Date" -

We are going to be holding a WMA "tournament" at our Camelot Medieval Mydsomer Fayre - June 25 and 26, 2005 in Fox Lake, Wisconsin. We initially planned this as a Bastardsword Tourney, but after speaking with Brian Price (and taking his advice) we are going to open this up as a general WMA tourney, allowing any approved weapon style. This tourney will be slightly different in the awards structure as we plan to have awards in several categories including, but not limited to,: 1) Best Overall Competitor; 2) Best Application of a WMA Technique; and 3) Most Chivalrous Competitor.

I hope that I can get the input and possible involvement from Greg Mele, Bob Charron, and Christian Tobler in formulating the rules and judging the tournament. Brian has already stated that he will be coming and bringing some of his students and SCA Viscount Leif Haakonsson (Greyfox) has tentatively agreed to Marshal and be the Arbitrary Judge.

If you want more info, just send me an email or PM.

Cheers!

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 11 Feb, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It sounds like a great time Lloyd.

Good luck with putting it together and I hope you have a great turn out!.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Fri 11 Feb, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Western Martial Art "Tournament"         Reply with quote

Lloyd Clark wrote:
Hi All,

Just wanted to drop a quick note so that interested parties could "Save the Date" -

We are going to be holding a WMA "tournament" at our Camelot Medieval Mydsomer Fayre - June 25 and 26, 2005 in Fox Lake, Wisconsin. We initially planned this as a Bastardsword Tourney, but after speaking with Brian Price (and taking his advice) we are going to open this up as a general WMA tourney, allowing any approved weapon style. This tourney will be slightly different in the awards structure as we plan to have awards in several categories including, but not limited to,: 1) Best Overall Competitor; 2) Best Application of a WMA Technique; and 3) Most Chivalrous Competitor.

I hope that I can get the input and possible involvement from Greg Mele, Bob Charron, and Christian Tobler in formulating the rules and judging the tournament. Brian has already stated that he will be coming and bringing some of his students and SCA Viscount Leif Haakonsson (Greyfox) has tentatively agreed to Marshal and be the Arbitrary Judge.

If you want more info, just send me an email or PM.

Cheers!

Hey Llyod,

I figured a lot of people might want to know, so......What specific events did you have in mind?

Jason Dingledine
David R. Glier

PostPosted: Sat 12 Feb, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And will they be conducted in hardsuits, period-appropriate padded clothing, or something like the current ARMA uniform? What clothing is allowed/required, and especialy what *footgear* is allowed, can have a disticnt effect on technique and level of performace.

Wiil it be full-contact or something else?

What weapons will be used? Steel blunts, alluminum wasters, or wooden wasters? (or **shockgasp!** rattan? Wink )

There's lots of questions that interested parties will need to have answered.
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi All,

Brian Price and I are still determining the specifics for the tournament. I know that he is bringing a few of his new Talhoffer polehammers to use and he said that he would have the new hard rubber roundel daggers ready also. My plan would be for rebatted steel, but there is also the possibility that we might use the Schola St. George aluminum wasters if they are available (my preference is for the rebatted steel).

I "envision" an open tournament of chivalry - a series of individual combats that are scored on technique and "solid" contact - but in which no blows will be acknowledged (i.e. SCA style of combat). Armour will be appropriate to the "era" of the combatant (13th, 14th, 15th, or 16th) and competitors that are willing to set a historical encampment will have a reduction in their entry fee.

Here is what Brian has suggested:

The really hard part will be armour and weapon standards, blow calibration, etc. I am sure we work out a set of rules, but I'll need a free weekend day to put something together. We gave combatants "ribbons" to signify the kinds of combat they were qualified for and interested in: a plaisance with rebated weapons (which could be the aluminums, too), a outrance (w/take-down wrestling, only for advanced students), behourd (w/batons or shinai), and with various weapons (longsword, poleaxe, dagger, etc.). By June we should have the rubber rondel daggers, so that kind of competition is fun for folks with only a gambeson. I'll spend some more time on this later this weekend :-)

I am trying to find appropriate sponsors for this tournament to provide prizes.

I am still working on getting an International Jousting Association Jousting Tournament set up as well (need more sponsors - has become my mantra).

I will post here as plans move forward - if you are interested (and your group?) please PM or email me.

Now I just have to find someone who could do some cutting demonstrations with various European Swords..... Wink

I also need to find a really good SWORDSELLER to go right next to the WMA Lists - anyone has any suggestions on a great ARMOURY specializing in NEAR CUSTOM SWORDS that might be in the WISCONSIN area Question Give it some thought and let me know...... Wink

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin Big Grin Arrow BUMP Big Grin Big Grin
Cheers,

Lloyd Clark