Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Swiss sabre A489 Wallace WIP - Tods Workshop Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Paul Watson

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Outstanding, and I can hardly believe how quickly you get them done. I'm really starting to appreciate saber blades due to their complexity, I'd love to see cross sections sketches of these.

I'll echo an earlier post and say based on personal preference only I like the sword better without the pieces from guard to pommel. Still looks awesome as per the original though.

Simply fantastic work.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Preben B wrote
Quote:
Do you plan on making a video with it or perhaps have Matt Easton give it a go? I'm sure I'm not alone wanting to see this one moving in someones hand.

I will drop Matt a line and ask if he would like to review it which would be interesting because sabres (although 19thC) are really his thing.

Guillaume Vauthier wrote
Quote:
It is so great. I think this (a reproduction pictured together with the original) is the thing I would see the most often, together with a graph of the swords dynamics.

Again I will try and arrange this with Toby.

Paul Watson - Thanks

So here we are all finished and I hope you like them as much as I do. I have made scabbards for both swords, but kept them simple, so no outrageous over the top ones this time around. As a note, just before the yelman, there are two small rebates on each side of the blade as per the original.

It has been a journey.

The second sword will be for sale

Tod

Attachment: 134.57 KB
www.todsworkshop.com Swiss sabre A489 finished bothMA.JPG

Attachment: 149.78 KB
www.todsworkshop.com Swiss sabre A489 finished 1.2MA.JPG

Attachment: 138.37 KB
www.todsworkshop.com Swiss sabre A489 finished 1.1MA.JPG

Attachment: 179.63 KB
www.todsworkshop.com Swiss sabre A489 finished 1.4MA.JPG

Attachment: 192.52 KB
www.todsworkshop.com Swiss sabre A489 finished 1.5MA.JPG

Attachment: 139.58 KB
www.todsworkshop.com Swiss sabre A489 finished 1.6MA.JPG

Attachment: 140.44 KB
www.todsworkshop.com Swiss sabre A489 finished 1.7MA.JPG

Attachment: 139.4 KB
www.todsworkshop.com Swiss sabre A489 finished 1.8MA.JPG

Attachment: 166.18 KB
www.todsworkshop.com Swiss sabre A489 finished 1.10MA.JPG

Attachment: 194.98 KB
www.todsworkshop.com Swiss sabre A489 finished 1.11MA.JPG

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Julien M

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Magnificent! After the A479 what a pleasure to see you tackle more of my favorite Wallace pieces!
Your repro is bang on as expected - great work.
Cheers,
J
Martin Francis

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
Tim,

One day the first bollock dagger I ever made will surface and then I will die in shame.

I made from a friends description of what bollock daggers were, and I suspect neither of us knew and I had certainly not seen one. I made a wooden dildo with a case hardened mild steel blade.

We all have skeletons and at least yours sounds like it was fun.

Tod

Well now Tod it just so happens that I........... Don't have your first bollock dagger.... Big Grin

I do have some earlier rondels you did and a very early sword by you along with the other bits and pieces however and this pairing is a sheer delight.

And speaking about skeletons, it's long past time I changed my avatar picture, no dark hair these days...

Regards

Martin

Champagne tastes and sparkling cider pockets.......
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tod, I've read you say that these swords were the most difficult swords you've made. Can you share some thoughts as to what the challenges were and what difficulties you had to overcome?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote
Quote:
Magnificent! After the A479 what a pleasure to see you tackle more of my favorite Wallace pieces!
Your repro is bang on as expected - great work.

Thanks and there is a langmesser there with my name on it - one day.

Nathan Robinson wrote
Quote:
Tod, I've read you say that these swords were the most difficult swords you've made. Can you share some thoughts as to what the challenges were and what difficulties you had to overcome?

Part of it is psychological in that every aspect took a long time, so you work for ages and seem to have very little progress. The blade was slow going and was hard and required intense concentration, but the guard was also very slow going. Every bar had to be bent and checked against the view in multiple photographs at every bend and tweek, I handled the sword and traced and measured the blade, grip and guard and dimensioned as much as I could, however......I took photos myself whilst I handled the sword and I also have the excellent photographs from the Wallace, but presumably because of lens distortion, and optical stuff I don't understand, when I scaled my pictures and the Wallaces pictures and compared the dimensions to my drawing, I ended up with three different sets of dimensions. That was annoying and slow and required interpretation jiggling things about. This was rather unexpected and troubling especially as I am planning to take the sword back in to the Wallace, so hopefully I have got it close.

The other part of it is the sheer physicality of it. The blade is thick and as I use stock removal and as the blade was ground hard, it was difficult going. The blade is also unusually long and so that is very physical and on top of that the hollow grinding just requires one slip to destroy the blade and so every one of the thousands of passes had to be correct (or at least nearly correct). This of course means that you get tired and the more tired you get the more likely you are to make a mistake, so the process is also quite stressful. I made the blades first and t be honest that left me shattered for the rest of the week.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that, Tod. I could speak about the distortion of the lens, point of view and perspective and all that sort of thing, but it really doesn't matter. The bottom line is that translating 3d to 2d and back again to 3d is immensely complicated as you've no doubt discovered many times over. I think such things would really be a surprise to most customers.

The physicality of it all was interesting to read because Craig Johnson of Arms & Armor has said the same thing. He also shared with me that when he made my sword back around 2009 that it was also the most complicated project he's completed and he ended up learning a ton from that sword.

I suspect this was a milestone project for you as well and I thank you for sharing some of the process with us.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Today was an interesting day.....

I took the sword back into the Wallace Collection and handled the original and my reproduction together.

Toby liked it - which was a relief of course and very generously allowed me to film the encounter, so in a couple of weeks I will post up a film of us chatting about the sabre, both mine and the construction in general.

I have attached some photos of the two pieces together and I will notify you when the film is out. Strangely the 'lens distortion' issue has haunted me again, as these were actually pretty close, but the different angles from the camera make them appear quite different - drat!

Tod

Attachment: 158.48 KB
DSCN4018.JPG

Attachment: 152.81 KB
DSCN4019.JPG

Attachment: 179.67 KB
DSCN4020.JPG

Attachment: 165.82 KB
DSCN4021.JPG

Attachment: 161.84 KB
DSCN4023.JPG

Attachment: 154.22 KB
DSCN4024.JPG

Attachment: 160.88 KB
DSCN4025.JPG

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They look spectacular Tod! The pictures next to the original drives home how good of an artist in metal you are. I would daresay that with some aging would look like an identical twin of the original!
Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure which one I'd rather have.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow....I mean, just freakin' WOW! Surprised Eek! .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Henry R. Gower

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Swiss Sabre         Reply with quote

Sean asked the question, "I'm not sure which one I'd rather have." I know I would prefer the recreation. I know, it may sound like heresy, but the recreation has the look, luster, strength and polish of the original the way it would have looked and felt in the hands of the medieval nobleman, knight or captain, that commissioned the original. Also, it does not have to be treated with white glove care as would befit a Ming vase. It could be used for reasonable test cutting, for example, without fear of damaging a precious original. Not to mention, the recreation is no doubt, more affordable than an original would be if it found its way to one of the big auction houses. Probably much more affordable.
Henry
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Swiss Sabre         Reply with quote

Henry R. Gower wrote:
Sean asked the question, "I'm not sure which one I'd rather have." I know I would prefer the recreation. I know, it may sound like heresy, but the recreation has the look, luster, strength and polish of the original the way it would have looked and felt in the hands of the medieval nobleman, knight or captain, that commissioned the original. Also, it does not have to be treated with white glove care as would befit a Ming vase. It could be used for reasonable test cutting, for example, without fear of damaging a precious original. Not to mention, the recreation is no doubt, more affordable than an original would be if it found its way to one of the big auction houses. Probably much more affordable.
Henry

I come down there as well, for the same reasons. In this rare case, you can be confident that you are feeling what the original's owner felt. Less obviously, the new one probably has better quality steel.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just to let you know, the video of Toby and myself looking at this sword is up.

Basically two geeky guys contemplating two similar objects....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY_GYDq-nJY (correct link now)

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com

Last edited by Leo Todeschini on Tue 24 Apr, 2018 2:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Julien M

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is fantastic Tod, great to behold the two side by side.
This is reproduction work at its best as the video (and the praise from Toby) plainly shows.

Wrong link though - try this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY_GYDq-nJY
Guillaume Vauthier

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This vid is incredibly great. Hope there will be some other in the same spirit if you reproduce some other piece from the Wallace Collection one day!

Anyway, I had a question: are you considering to make in the future another similar saber, but with a simpler construction and some more crudeness, as you talked about before in this thread and vid? I'd be curious to see what is the result, and to heard a word from you if it comes one day.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Swiss sabre A489 Wallace WIP - Tods Workshop
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: