Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Leather scabbard colors Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry, this is a fantastic resource and you are to be commended for your work. A post like this is precisely why myArmoury is just a superior forum and format. Excellent.
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
Harry, this is a fantastic resource and you are to be commended for your work. A post like this is precisely why myArmoury is just a superior forum and format. Excellent.

Which is why I nominated it as a spotlight post a couple of days ago - I could tell this was going to be a great resource for many folks here. If others feel the same, just hit that little voting/nominating button at the top of the opened post.

Thanks for all the hard work, Harry, and for sharing it with us.
Harry Marinakis

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

FYI

The colors that you see here are entirely dependent on how you have calibrated the color spectrum of your computer's monitor.

To calibrate the colors of your monitor, go to:

control panel > display
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent results Harry. What do the original texts refer to where you've used Brazilwood, as Brazilwood is a New World species?

Also, have you tried any of the recipes for dyeing hides listed in the Mappae Clavicula? I've had some good yellow-greens from using home grown weld cooked in urine and a nice purple from oak-galls and cinnabar.

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Bunker wrote:
Excellent results Harry. What do the original texts refer to where you've used Brazilwood, as Brazilwood is a New World species?

Original texts are quoted above on the original post. Brazilwood (Biancaea sappanis) an old-world species, originally obtained from India.

Brazilwood (Caesalpinia echinata) was also found later in the country that was eventually named after the wood. That's how important the red dye was back at the time. It's funny, the modern Brazil flag doesn't even have any red in it.

Nomenclature has been a major problem in deciphering the old manuscripts.
Brazilwood is not Brazilwood.
Bloodwort is not Bloodwort.
Grain is not grain.
Roman Vitriol is used to refer to either a copper or iron vitriol, depending on the context.
etc., etc.

I've had to trace nomenclature back over the centuries to determine the meanings that were in use at the time. So much has changed. I've even discovered that other people's often-quoted interpretations are wrong! (e.g., I believe that the person who translated the Segreti into English got the bloodwort species wrong in the translation.)

Likewise with units of measurement that are quoted in the old manuscripts. An ounce not only varied with time, but at the same time an ounce in Milan was wildly different from an ounce in Venice.

Matthew Bunker wrote:
Also, have you tried any of the recipes for dyeing hides listed in the Mappae Clavicula? I've had some good yellow-greens from using home grown weld cooked in urine and a nice purple from oak-galls and cinnabar.

I haven't heard of the Mappae Clavicula, but I will certainly look into it!

I did not mess around with any of the toxic substrates (cinnabar, lead, arsenic, etc.)

There are no recipes in the above documents that I quoted that use weld for a leather dye. I did try numerous experiments with fresh dried weld with a variety of concentrations and mordants (gall tannin, roche alum, Cream of Tartar, etc.), and it did not work on leather. All I got was leather color. I haven't tried the urine dye bath, but Turmeric is such a bright yellow that I've long given up on weld.

Apparently weld is a magnificent textile dye, but a very poor leather dye. This is a theme that is almost universal - textile dyes generally make for poor leather dyes.
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Weld can yield a good colour, but the preparation instructions are quite specific and more complex than the process required when dyeing textiles.

The Mappae is the only early medieval source book for leather dyeing recipes. I've got a copy in Latin which I translated into English but the leather dye recipes are collected here:-

http://www.elizabethancostume.net/dyes/mappae.html

Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:

Original texts are quoted above on the original post. Brazilwood (Biancaea sappanis) an old-world species, originally obtained from India.

Ahh, brezel wood!

Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Bunker wrote:
Ahh, brezel wood!

It has a lot of different names, even in the same manuscript there are multiple different names. Brazil, brasil, brezel, etc.

Looking at the Mappae recipes, you see the same problem as in the Plictho and Segreti - terminology. You can't assume anything, and you have to trace each term back to the year in which it was written.

Last edited by Harry Marinakis on Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've looked into reproducing Murex purple but the snail extract is running at about $2.4 million per pound these days

http://shop.kremerpigments.com/en/pigments/kr...le-genuine
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry,

Could it be at all feasible to try to farm the Pupura Lapillus on a large scale to produce your own die? It strikes me that the initial outlay could be expensive, but once the operation was up and running, it would probably be much more affordable in the long term than purchasing the dye from a store. Even better would be if someone could selectively breed the snails for dye output or else modify the snail in some other way to increase the amount of dye per snail.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Leather scabbard colors
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: