Flintlock revolver ca. 1770 by Joseph Hall
I found this piece on an old auction listing that I thought I'd share if anyone else is interested. I thought it was intriguing given that it seems to have been made prior to the Collier revolvers and also does not seem to be based on the Lorenzoni system (which is the one I have most commonly seen used in flintlock repeating pistols, aside from multi-barreled types which this also isn't).

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot/an-extremely-rare-irish-70-bore-eight-shot-flintlock-4128442-details.aspx

I don't have any info on the maker in my books and I can't find much detail on google. The auction listing simply says that he appears to have been known for this type of revolver.

If anyone knows more about Hall and his revolvers I'd be curious to learn.
I found some information regarding his father, John. Hope it bring some help to your research.

John Apprenticed to Godfrey Taylor, turned over to George Fisher, 1694; free of Gunmakers Co., 1702. Proof piece 1705. Elected Assistant, 1722; Master, 1726. Gunmaker, Budge Row, from 1725. Contractor to Ordnance, 1706-28; Royal African Co. ('fuzzes, buccaneer guns') 1717-24; East India Co., 1726-40. Died 1740. Business continued by widow Jane.
Jane Widow of John, gunmaker, Budge Row, 1741-60. Became Mrs Hall & Son, 1761. Succeeded by son, Joseph.

Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.

Don
This website has more information on Joseph. I guess he paired up with a guy named Powell, to form “Hall & Powell”.

http://ramrodantiques.blogspot.com/2016/02/ha...n.html?m=1
Thanks for the sources!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: