Considering all of the features for this week's site update, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
73%
 73%  [ 36 ]
Very Good
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
Good
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 49

Feb 14: myArmoury.com news and updates
Today's update:

[ Linked Image ]
TEMPL Iron Age Celtic Sword
A hands-on review by Patrick Kelly

[ Linked Image ]
TEMPL Sutton Hoo Sword
A hands-on review by Paul Mortimer

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Is patrick Barta good, or is he good?

The Sutton Hoo sword is breath taking. And Patrick Barta has done the correct (or so it seems to me) pattern-welded pattern according to the archeological descriptions of the sword.

Here is a small description of the archeological find of the sword from this article .

Quote:

The pattern disclosed by radiography of the
Sutton-Hoo sword is that of four bands, alternatingly
twisted and straight and with the direction of twist reversed
between adjacent bands and the entire pattern
repeated on the opposite surface of the blade except
that the straight areas are opposite the twisted on the
other surface, and is a commonly seen pattern.

I hope I will be lucky enough one day to own a Barta sword.

Alexi
Wow,
Great stuff again chaps,some excellent reading,
many thanks,
Lee.
That Sutton Hoo sword is incredible. Nice job on the updates Nathan, it seems like every one makes me more jealous of other sword collectors than the last.
As much as I like the Sutton Hoo sword, I do prefer the Celtic Iron sword. I'm not sure why. It's just very elegant to me, and yet also very robust. :)
Awesome jaw-dropping stuff!!!

Wish I had one of each.

At the bottom of this page

http://www.templ.net/making_of_weapons/decoration.php

are some more in process shots of the decoration on the Sutton Hoo masterpiece.

ks
Great stuff as always. My wife had to put a bowl under my mouth to collect all the drool.

Ben
Looks like no surprise that Mr. Barta's work is displayed in museums. Very fine art.
Just so I won't feel too bad I have to ask...

Did anybody else skip out on their latin homework and stare at all of the pictures of the Sutton Hoo sword for over an hour?
Alina Boyden wrote:
Just so I won't feel too bad I have to ask...

Did anybody else skip out on their latin homework and stare at all of the pictures of the Sutton Hoo sword for over an hour?

[ sarcasm ]Don't be silly, I would never do any such thing [/ sarcasm ]. I did almost miss formation though, and I'm getting closer than I would like to doing the same thing again. :eek: Truth be told, I found that my swords got a lot of extra attention when I had a paper or other assignment due. I also got noticably better at Minesweeper for some strange reason. I'm bad enough with languages, though, that I would probably have to do some of that pesky homework eventually.

Remember: Bibamus, moriendum est!

-Grey
I'm extremely happy that Paul agreed to write up a review of his Sutton Hoo sword. I'm doubly pleased that he actually delivered. :D

When I saw the first photos of that sword I felt that we had to have it in our permanent review section. It's a magnificent example of a migration era sword as well as an excellent example of the modern sword makers art.

Thanks Paul!
Sutton Hoo sword
Ever since I saw the collection in the British Musuem and the sword made by someone in the States I have loved (and lusted!) over that "wave" of steel and iron in a blade. Its nice to see someone else likes that form of blade and its nice to see such a beautiful sword. You see why swords have such a mystery and magic about them when you see such a stunning Dark ages sword.
The Sutton Hoo sword
Hi there.

Just recently found this site, and have been absolutely delighted by the information and photographs on display. This particular message is prompted because I've just been browsing and found the review of the replica Sutton Hoo sword.

The Sutton Hoo find captured my imagination when I was studying Old & Middle English as an undergraduate, and I spent what seemed like hours pouring over the photographs of the artifacts. I particularly loved the helmet, sword and shield. The cloissone work on the hilt was an eye-opener for me. To see such a beautiful replica, and to be able to examine close up the pattern-welded blade - something I'd only seen in the photographs of original blades of the time - just blew me away.

Thanks for this review, and thanks for the great site. I'll be returning often! :D

Robin
Welcome to myArmoury.com, Robin! I think that you will find a wealth of eye-opening information here.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: