Companies that produce matchlock pistol repros?
Hello folks, would anyone here know some companies that manufacture reasonably authentic and functional matchlock pistol repros? I'd like to find one for target shooting. I'm primarily interested in repros based on East Asian examples, but due to the limited market I'm willing to consider other types too. So far I've only found one manufacturer (Spanish company called Arsa that does Japanese 'tanzutsu' reproductions).

Please no suggestions to build one myself or get a parts set, I don't have the space, skill, or tools to do that.

Thanks.
Try www.militaryheritage.com. They offer a couple of matchlock pistols, made in India, but of European style. These guns can be a bit dodgy but I have heard reports that those offered by this company are a cut above the average. They might meet your needs and some folks swear by them. They are smooth bores, in keeping with the originals. The only company I am aware of which made or imported Japanese matchlocks was Dixie Gun Works. Can't say that pistols were a part of their inventory but they no longer carry any of them.

Good luck.
Thanks, looks like they only sell in a non-firing state though which means I have to pay a gunsmith to drill and test it for me. I'd have to look into whether there'd be any legal complications on my end from turning a non-firing replica into a functional one...
Miko H. wrote:
Thanks, looks like they only sell in a non-firing state though which means I have to pay a gunsmith to drill and test it for me. I'd have to look into whether there'd be any legal complications on my end from turning a non-firing replica into a functional one...

Where do you live? Drilling a touch hole is not a major undertaking but by all means check on the legal situation first. I just rechecked the Dixie Gun Works site and they are still offering a Tanegashima long gun. This gun is made by Miroku, according to them and it is, of course, a Japanese firm which makes very high quality firearms. No pistols however.
Lin Robinson wrote:
Miko H. wrote:

Where do you live? Drilling a touch hole is not a major undertaking but by all means check on the legal situation first. I just rechecked the Dixie Gun Works site and they are still offering a Tanegashima long gun. This gun is made by Miroku, according to them and it is, of course, a Japanese firm which makes very high quality firearms. No pistols however.

To expand and specify:

Miroku makes almost all rifles and shotguns sold in the US under the Browning Arms Company brand name and all current (as far as I am aware) production lever-action rifles sold in the US under the Winchester Repeating Arms Company brand name.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've come across Miroku before, mostly good things from what I've heard. My interest is primarily pistols rather than long guns but I'll give them a look.

Is this the example from Dixie Gun Works that you were talking about? https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/9502/category/315/category_chain/312,313,315/product_name/MM0005A+Japanese+Tanegashima+Matchlock

Edited: I just found this example of a European style pistol from what looks like a British company: http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page...ts_id=7021

I noticed it's listed under 'Indian' category, and I've heard some mixed stories about repros from India so I thought I'd ask if anyone here has experience with the examples from that vendor?
Miko...

I have one Indian-made pistol, a "Murdoch" which resembles an all metal Scottish pistol. It is not very authentic, the lock is terrible and the frizzen is barely hard enough to spark. I have never fired it, with blanks or ball, and probably never will. While some of these guns seem better than others, I am very cautious and will only shoot my high quality custom made muzzleloaders. So, I am not a good reviewer I guess. There are those who have owned and shot these guns for years and say they are good shooters and safe. Military Heritage, I think, provides directions on how to proof test a firearm you buy from them. I would not do that under any circumstances, at least not holding it in my hand. So, the only advice I can give you is to be extremely careful. As far as the vendor in GB goes, the pistols are what they are, vendor notwithstanding.

The link you sent to DGW was the one I mentioned earlier.

As Joshua says, Miroku makes all the Browning firearms these days and they are special and very high quality. I have examined some recently, especially a Winchester Model 70 and the fit and finish are the best I have seen in a very long time. I am sure the DGW matchlock is just as well made.

Good luck...
Thanks Lin. That particular example from the British firm doesn't grab me for a couple reasons, but I thought I'd ask on the subject of Indian replicas. I appreciate your advice.

I'll keep digging around and see what I can find. Like you I'd rather shell out a bit of extra cash to make sure I'm getting something that's top quality (especially when dealing with an ignition system like matchlocks) so I'll probably end up going with the Arsa pistols if nothing else turns up.
Not sure if they can export, but Osvaldo Gatto in Argentina makes matchlock pistols. Their Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/www.osvaldogatto.com.ar/ .

I think they are rebuilding their Web site. Try e-mailing them. If you're on Facebook, I'd suggest the MLAIC (Muzzle Loading Associations International Confederation) page. They are the international governing body for black powder shooting, and have been shooting matchlocks competitively for 40 years. Pistol for a good fifteen years. There's a lot of information out there, and they're willing to share.
Thanks a lot Mike! I'll check it out.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: