Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Replica Dark age swords pommel construction question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam Arwas

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Replica Dark age swords pommel construction question         Reply with quote

I've been looking to get a decent mid-range Viking/Dark age sword. So far all the ones I've looked at have a one-piece pommel with an exposed peen at the end, even Albion ones. I find this rather inauthentic and would much prefer something with a separate pommel-cap covering the peen, especially when the pommel is clearly shaped to resemble a traditional multi-part design.

Are any of the regular companies offering what I'm looking for in the $300-600USD range?
Arne G.

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Dark age swords pommel construction question         Reply with quote

Sam Arwas wrote:
I've been looking to get a decent mid-range Viking/Dark age sword. So far all the ones I've looked at have a one-piece pommel with an exposed peen at the end, even Albion ones. I find this rather inauthentic and would much prefer something with a separate pommel-cap covering the peen, especially when the pommel is clearly shaped to resemble a traditional multi-part design.

Are any of the regular companies offering what I'm looking for in the $300-600USD range?

Actually, only the earliest offerings by Albion (which are already sold out) had the simulated two piece construction. Everything else that is intended to be two pieces riveted together is in fact just that.

However, no one does this in the low-mid price range you are looking at. You'll either have to save enough to get one of the Albions or a custom maker that will do this, or live with a one piece construction (I think Del Tins, which are in your price range, do this).
Sam Arwas

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Dark age swords pommel construction question         Reply with quote

Arne G. wrote:
Sam Arwas wrote:

Actually, only the earliest offerings by Albion (which are already sold out) had the simulated two piece construction. Everything else that is intended to be two pieces riveted together is in fact just that.

However, no one does this in the low-mid price range you are looking at. You'll either have to save enough to get one of the Albions or a custom maker that will do this, or live with a one piece construction (I think Del Tins, which are in your price range, do this).
I'd prefer Valiant Armory or even Darksword over Del Tin. While I am reasonably happy with tbe one Del Tin I own (a falchion) I don't like the way they are always built without an edge (Darksword's new range is built sharp) and they all seem to be excessively heavy.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Sam,

Good news.

I was looking at a 10thC Viking sword at the BM a few years ago and it had what was clearly a one piece pommel, with a visible peen, that had been made to look like a two piece. Basically exactly what most makers make now. Not very common perhaps, but they did it.

Failing that yes you will need to go to a custom maker (like me!)

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 04 Mar, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are also several types of Viking age swords with openly one-piece pommels, and some of the two-piece pommels have a visible peen. Examples of both can be seen in e.g. Ian Peirce's Swords of the Viking Age. Only the Sith deal in absolutes. Happy
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
Well Sam,

Good news.

I was looking at a 10thC Viking sword at the BM a few years ago and it had what was clearly a one piece pommel, with a visible peen, that had been made to look like a two piece. Basically exactly what most makers make now. Not very common perhaps, but they did it.

Failing that yes you will need to go to a custom maker (like me!)

Tod

Do you maybe remember what pommel type was it?
Ryan Renfro

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Was it one of these?

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collect...p;partId=1

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collect...p;partId=1
Ryan Renfro

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

I think this may have been the viking-age Witham sword, no 1848,1021.1.

(Image posted with permission).

Attachment: 66.51 KB
184810211.JPG

Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't remember for certain I am afraid, but it could well have been that sword as it was on that day.

Thanks again Ryan.

Sorry

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Replica Dark age swords pommel construction question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic