Broadsword of Oliver Cromwell display at Phila Art Museum
One of my favorite swords of all time. It's back on display at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. For many years it had not been displayed. I don't know the reason. Sorry the pictures are not better. Its some what hard to tell in these pictures but the blade has multiple fullers similar to a cinquedea. It also has a VERY broad double edged blade which has the overall size and shape of many type X blades.

[ Linked Image ]2018-02-21_07-50-58 by warspite15, on Flickr

[ Linked Image ]2018-02-21_07-50-34 by warspite15, on Flickr

[ Linked Image ]2018-02-21_07-50-21 by warspite15, on Flickr

[ Linked Image ]2018-02-21_07-49-56 by warspite15, on Flickr

[ Linked Image ]2018-02-21_07-49-42 by warspite15, on Flickr

[ Linked Image ]2018-02-21_07-49-30 by warspite15, on Flickr

[ Linked Image ]2018-02-21_07-49-18 by warspite15, on Flickr

[ Linked Image ]2018-02-21_07-48-50 by warspite15, on Flickr
That thing is a brute! The fullers are gorgeous, but I have always wondered about potential spikes in the stress load of the blade where they terminate and transition into the next set. A study into that would make for an interesting exercise in blade design.
Goddamn, what a wide blade! That's impressive.
Oh thats beautiful. I'm going to have to visit the museum again soon! Also, there's a XIIIb there that I'm thinking of having someone replicate.
DAMN!! Now THAT is a sword! One of the first thoughts that came to me when I saw the photos was how would a sword like that handle? What if an enterprising smith made a sword with that blade configuration and a less ornate handle and someone put it through it's paces? I think that would be fascinating!
That's fantastic. It wasn't on display when I went years ago. It's great to know it's out there again.
Holy hell, now that is a beaut!

Say on the subject of English Civil War swords, if I may- has anyone came across one of Major-General Hezekiah Haynes?
He was in fact my direct 9th great grandfather.

Last edited by Bob Haynes on Thu 30 Jul, 2020 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Cromwell museum (in Huntingdon I believe) has two more swords that are believed to have been owned by the king-killer himself. They’re both mortuary jilted swords but look a little more ornate than that beast. I think they’re able to be seen on their website and twitter.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: