Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Wow, thank you very much for re-hosting the photos! I must confess was mostly complaining because I was looking at a lengthy editing and re-uploading session.

I am truly grateful for all the (I can imagine) tedious work!

Back on topic, last year I visited Innsbruck and in a small museum in Goldenes Dachl there is an armour I had very little info on: 1480-1490 - Wien, Austria, Wien Museum Karlsplatz, inv.no 127.010, by Lorenz Helmschmied - I have it in my list, but the photos are quite blurry. I took tons of photos, but the light was really subdued (there are also paintings and sculptures in the same room, so I guess it is to protect them). Armour is behind a very reflective glass cage, and I believe the sallet is put a bit too low.

I'm posting a couple of them here, together with the (curious) museum description of the armour:

Quote:
Late Gothic suit of armor
Augsburg 1485-1490, steel, 160 cm tall, on loan from the Historical Museum of the City of Vienna,
Inv. No. 127.010-127.023.

This late Gothic coat of armor was made in Augsburg, home to several leading metal-working smiths for weapons and arms. Typical for the coats of armor of the gothic period are the long, pointed shoes. Various types were developed for the different disciplines of tournament competition.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
I have had my hands on this armour (1-3 HMSW), A 62 and A 60 KMW, and I can say without equivocation that none of it (except perhaps maaaybeee the cuisses/poleyns, but I really, really, doubt it) was made by the Helmschmid family. Augsburg? Maybe, but I think we may never have a good picture of what was coming out of Augsburg c. 1480. I want to see a city mark before I say it's Augsburg.

A hearty thanks for these photos! They are far, far better than anything in any published source. My own photos were done with film, so the resolution sucks.

Note the seam along the back of the couter. The German smiths always cheated there, to my knowledge. I have yet to find an exception. No seam = Victorian in my experience.[/quote]
Finally I found out more about this Czech armour, somebody uploaded whole book "Chladna krasa, Platove zbroje, Stanislav Hrbaty. 2006. Language Czech + English"

Equestrian armour for the Late Gothic, about 1480, Germany

(The State Castle of Lednice, Czech Republic, Inv. No. 174/323)

Mark: The left cheek-piece is stamped with the lime blossom, the master's mark used by an unknown armourer. There is another master's mark on the lower edge of the back fauld - a heraldic symbol of a jumping lion.

Weight: 23.257 kg

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: