German 14thC sword with scabbard
I have for sale one of my latest works: German 14thC sword with scabbard. (SOLD)

Dating
The sword and scabbard was inspired by 14th century original finds and based on historical sources.

Sword

Hexagonal cross-section makes the blade strong and stiff. We know many original swords with this type of cross-section and many of them is connected with Germany. Also, the color set (steel, golden pommel and black grip) is also characteristic for German style of 14th century. That type of crossguard is very popular for 13th and 14th century European swords, we can see it also in I:33 manuscript and many other sources, almost to the end of 15th century.
Handle has four risers and two of them is placed in the center that makes the handling more comfortable. This is also the detail known from original 14th/15th century finds and medieval art.
Golden pommel made with copper alloy in this classic form is also very popular in this period.
Sword is well balanced according to original swords.

Scabbard & belting

The classic medieval form of scabbard is decorated with a bunch of motifs taken from some few 4th century original scabbards of swords and knives. All tooling is hand-made without any stamps or templates.
Core of the scabbard was made with Alder wood and covered with cowhide.
That particular type of off-set belting system with fittings is popular between circa 1250 and 1350, we can find it mostly in Western and Central European medieval sources (effigies, manuscripts, sculptures and finds).
Color set for belts and scabbard (ox-blood, gold and black) is typical especially for German style of 14th and 15th century (example sources from Marburg, Naumburg...). We can see many characteristic details of how those belts are attached on the scabbard and we will find them in medieval art as well as elements of this fittings set.

Measurements:

total length 980mm
bladse length 820mm
blade width 55mm
grip 98mm
balance ca. 115mm
weight ca. 1250g
hardness 52-54 HRC
edges are sharpened

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Maciej K. on Fri 26 Jan, 2018 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Goddamn, this sword is properly incredible. Believe me, if I was rich (or wasn't waiting for two swords by you at the time :lol: ) I would buy it immediately.

And I just can't say what is the most magnificent, the sword or the leather work. You're becoming one of the very best craftsmen in the world in my opinion.
Guillaume Vauthier wrote:
Goddamn, this sword is properly incredible. Believe me, if I was rich (or wasn't waiting for two swords by you at the time :lol: ) I would buy it immediately.
And I just can't say what is the most magnificent, the sword or the leather work. You're becoming one of the very best craftsmen in the world in my opinion.

Guillaume, my Friend, thank you for this comment.
Also about your commissioned swords: it is true that it took me longer time than previously expected (I was moving to the new place and make some renovations there) but also that waiting has paid off because I am constantly improving technology and gaining new experiences. So, the final result will be better than could be before :)

I greatly appreciate your opinion. Personally I would avoid comparingg the creators in terms of the level of quality but rather by their own style and experience, historical accuracy and simply a true passion :) While the impression and taste can be subjective, the style of work makes the creative personality of the artist craftsman.
...And this is a very valuable feature to have a creative individuality. I can only hope that I have it :)
Thank you once again for your kind opinion!
Sword has been sold yesterday :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: