How tightly should a mail shirt fit?
I have been considering buying a mail haubergeon from battlemerchant, and i was wondering how much extra there should be in the chest area? My chest circumference with padding and lungs filled with air is 107cm, and the haubergeons circumference fully stretched is 130cm.

I was wondering if that would be a good fit, and i would like to hear from someone who has worn a hauberk.
I forgot to mention that without padding and lungs filled with air, the chest circumference is about 104.5cm.
I have a quite tight riveted one (second hand, unknown maker, but very generic) and while it is nice while wearing it, and allows movement without problems, I find that a bit larger size would make easier putting it on and off without help and with dignity :lol: , so take that in account, not only chest measure.
Iagoba Ferreira wrote:
I have a quite tight riveted one (second hand, unknown maker, but very generic) and while it is nice while wearing it, and allows movement without problems, I find that a bit larger size would make easier putting it on and off without help and with dignity :lol: , so take that in account, not only chest measure.

Thanks for the reply :) I think that the hauberk with the 130cm circumference is quite good, because i have heard that a good measure would be your chest circumference without padding + 25cm, so by those standards that mail shirt should fit quite well.
Well, my haubegeon is sized for up to a 50'' or 127cm. It fits my 44'' or about 112cm. chest with only a few inches of play. This is with only light padding underneath, but I have plenty of arm movement---which is the most important factor to me. So, in my opinion, good arm movement (with any padding to be worn underneath) should be the main deciding factor in selecting ones mail. A long hauberk can be modified easily if the fit is too tight in the lower areas, causing decreased leg movement. A good example would be mounting a horse. If you can't swing your leg up high enough to get in the saddle, you might need to do some mods. :) ........McM
If you do use padding (and I really would advise it, at least on the shoulders), you can add 3 inch (or centimeter) for every inch (or centimeter) of padding you use. Better yet, get it oversized and taylor it with a friend that knows how to measure (people who know how to sew are best, first adjust your padding with correct sleeves though, otherwise your mail will never fit well). I had no clue on how much difference that would make.

Having the sleeves, waist and collar correct will aid you quite a bit, I cannot stress this enough.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: