Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Great discovery Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Michael A. H.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Great discovery         Reply with quote

While its not my time period or location of interest, still a very interesting find:

http://magazine.uc.edu/editors_picks/recent_f...piece.html

The detail on the weapons depicted and their use in close combat is amazing - the use of the short Xiphos vs. the long spear is obvious.

Great reading, specially the links to other reports at thhe bottom.

Cheers

Michael

Michael

"Its just the laudanum speaking." Stephen Maturin
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, yes, isn't that something? A few of us have been geeking out over it. It seems to be a depiction of a particular episode from history or mythology, because there are a couple other seal stones that show the same scene. I'm *not* sure we can draw too many *tactical* lessons from it!

Definitely a fabulous find. It's practically a Frank Frazetta.

Matthew
Joe A

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not a xiphos I would say, Matthew would you agree it's a bit too early for that type of sword?
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe A wrote:
Not a xiphos I would say, Matthew would you agree it's a bit too early for that type of sword?

Oh, yeah, probably a minor technical point, since "xiphos" is just Greek for "sword"! But yes, *I* tend to reserve "xiphos" for the Late Archaic/Classical hoplite sword. Whereas this is a much earlier bronze sword, looks like a Type C "rapier".

Geez, the details in that carving are just bananas...

Matthew
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This scene isn't Homeric. The equipment and the style of fighting were phased out a couple of centuries before the Trojan War.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Joe A

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
Joe A wrote:

Oh, yeah, probably a minor technical point, since "xiphos" is just Greek for "sword"! But yes, *I* tend to reserve "xiphos" for the Late Archaic/Classical hoplite sword. Whereas this is a much earlier bronze sword, looks like a Type C "rapier".

Geez, the details in that carving are just bananas...

Matthew

The NYT has it here and it is amazing https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/06/science/greece-griffin-warrior-archaeology-homer.html
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
This scene isn't Homeric. The equipment and the style of fighting were phased out a couple of centuries before the Trojan War.

Let me see if I remember well from your book... Wink 15th century BC?
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

See the last page of this thread - http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=326200#326200
Michael A. H.

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry - like I said, not "my" period (which is more 10th to 11th century Anglo-Saxon Norse history) ... but still, an amazing find. Almost makes me want to delve into central/northern European late bronze age / early iron age material culture :-)

Anyway, thought you all might find it interesting.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

"Its just the laudanum speaking." Stephen Maturin
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:

Yep, but I think the chronology we are currently using is dodgy. If the bogus Dark Ages are removed then this sealstone dates to the 12th-13th C and the Trojan War occurred in the 10th C.

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:

Yep, but I think the chronology we are currently using is dodgy. If the bogus Dark Ages are removed then this sealstone dates to the 12th-13th C and the Trojan War occurred in the 10th C.

I meant traditional chronology. Happy
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:

I know. I just don't like to miss an opportunity to hammer the case for revising the chronology Happy

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:

I know. I just don't like to miss an opportunity to hammer the case for revising the chronology Happy

Don't worry, I'm already a believer in it. Big Grin
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:

Ever since I read "Centuries of Darkness" by Peter James, I've looked at the ancient timelines quite differently. He makes a strong argument, which the established historians don't seem to want to accept or even acknowledge, except by massaging the numbers a bit.

Still hammering away
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
See the last page of this thread - http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=326200#326200

Regardless of the date, function or academic value, it's a beautiful piece of art.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Lyon wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:

Ever since I read "Centuries of Darkness" by Peter James, I've looked at the ancient timelines quite differently. He makes a strong argument, which the established historians don't seem to want to accept or even acknowledge, except by massaging the numbers a bit.

Actually, it's not the "established historians" -- it's mostly the older ones. Many in the younger generation are more prepared to accept the Low Chronology thesis, and the "massaging" is because James probably did overstate his case somewhat.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Actually, it's not the "established historians" -- it's mostly the older ones. Many in the younger generation are more prepared to accept the Low Chronology thesis, and the "massaging" is because James probably did overstate his case somewhat.

Yeah. I think there is a very strong case for a reduction of at least 200 years but 300 years seems a stretch.

Joe A

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Peter Lyon wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:

So, which one of the younger historians are prepared to publicly accept the Low Chronology??? Names please, and I don't mean folks arguing that the period was not as "dark" as we once thought, those new historians only argue life was not so bleak not that the time period was 200-300 years shorter .

Trojan War in the 10th century? Brian Rose of the Penn Museum is the lead archaeologist there and has been working there his entire professional life, since 1988, and thinks that's a bit silly.

C'mon Peter, everyone who is serious has read "Centuries of Darkness" by Peter James and it's not ignored by mainstream ancient Historians and Archaeologists at all. At Dan's suggestion I read it and asked quite a few folks if they read it, seems like I was the last to read it. Snodgrass, apparently a mentor of sorts of James, has written at least two reviews of the book and just about everyone is required to read it in good grad schools here so they know what's the non-traditional pov. Unless better evidence is presented that refutes folks like Rose and Snodgrass, the conventional wisdom stands. Rose is quite open minded and fair and plugged in everywhere to everyone working on this sort of thing and his views have not changed much. There is no conspiracy to suppress this idea, it's just not considered accurate that's all.

For those curious: https://www.centuries.co.uk/index.htm
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kokkinos, N. 'Ancient Chronography, 'Eratosthenes and the Dating of the Fall of Troy' Ancient West and East 8 (2009) page 37-56.

Nikkos Kokkinos went back to look at the original Greek chronographers and his study concluded that the Greeks themselves thought that the Trojan War occurred in 940BC.

Furlong, P. J., Aspects of Ancient Near Eastern Chronology (c. 1600 – 700 BC), PhD Thesis, Melbourne University, 2007

Pierce Furlong studied the Assyrian chronology and his PhD thesis attempted to reconcile it with the Egyptian chronology. He concluded that the Egyptian chronology had to be reduced by 200 years.

"This chronological adjustment is achieved in two stages: first, the removal of precisely 85 years of absolute Assyrian chronology from between the reigns of Shalmaneser II and Ashur-dan II; and second, the downward displacement of Egyptian Memphite dates relative to LBA Assyrian chronology by a further 115 years."

Joseph Morrison

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really a fantastic find. The craftsmanship of the past never ceases to impress. I wonder what this could affect long term as far as the perception of Greek artistry. They did mention that on a technical level it's nearly 1,000 years more advanced than they expected.

Matthew Amt wrote:
Definitely a fabulous find. It's practically a Frank Frazetta.

Good one!

A good man is worth at least 30 horses. Conversely, a good horse can hold at least 30 good men.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Great discovery
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: