Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > source for helmets etc ... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael A. H.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: source for helmets etc ...         Reply with quote

Ok - so what is the experience anybody out there had with helmets from Wulflund?

https://www.wulflund.com/en

I am looking to get a late viking age / early norman helmet (e.g Spangenhelm) for an anglo-norse kit from the time period around mid 10th to early 11th century.
I would like something that is "authentic" looking (even if the steel used is not authentic), but also would hold up in a hard fight ... if I would ever fancy a trip in a time machine :-)
So not necessarily something that is up to HEMA etc., i.e. modern safety standards, but something that would be considered up to date head protection "back then".

I am also looking for an authentic fuctional mail shirt, round rings, riveted, but would like something European made if possible, or at least something that is well made (no rivets tearing clothes underneath, rivets falling out just from putting it on or taking off, rings falling out etc.) - any comments on sources for that would be appreciated

Thanks a million,
Michael

Michael

"Its just the laudanum speaking." Stephen Maturin
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't personally own any Wulflund products, but I have (had) a friend who swore by them. I say 'had' because he is now deceased, much to my sadness. I got the opportunity to handle some of their helms and other pieces of armor, and they are of very good quality. I'd say order what you like in 14ga. steel and go for it. My friend said they were good to work with.
As Euro-made mail goes, ---not a clue. My friend's mail was India-made wedge riveted links, and of good quality. Why he chose India mail and Euro armor is still a mystery to me.
I would contact them with your wishes and see if they can meet your criteria. I realize that all the above is 3rd hand info, but better than nothing I guess. Worried ......McM

''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wulflund mostly resells stuff from various other makers. Many of their helmets are from a number of Czech companies. Quality can vary considerably.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

True....Wulflund is kind of the KOA of the Czech's. It's a bit of a grab-bag, but the Czech-made pieces I personally handled were done quite well. Careful research and personal contact are utmost. Wink ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > source for helmets etc ...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic