Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > WIP: Hauswehr/Rugger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: WIP: Hauswehr/Rugger         Reply with quote

Hello,

here's another project of mine: a late 15th century Hauswehr or, more precisely, Rugger (I think, due to the pointy tip and profile taper). I've long been wanting to make one of these.

This is what the blade looked like fresh after heat treat:

And here is the blade after final grinding, ready for hand sanding though I first need to make the bolsters, nagel and handle scales. I have something special planned for that. A blade this plain needs some extra flair to make it pop.

Custom sword maker:

http://www.lukasmaestlegoer.com
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a rainy sunday over here, no power tools to use and nothing else to do, so I decided to polish the Rugger. I will need to be careful not to scratch it up when making the fittings but anyway...

On this last pic you can see that I gradually chamfered the spine of the blade as it flows towards the back edge. This much improves the looks compared to a simple straight spine all the way down (no distal taper until the back edge starts).

Custom sword maker:

Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is the almost finished Rugger.

I said last time that I had something special planned for the fittings. You can‘t see it in the pics but all metal parts of the hilt are made from around 150 years old wrought iron. The steel structure is already visible to the naked eye but my camera fails to capture it. I hope after etching it will be more obvious. I'm still pondering whether the Nagel is still a bit too large in height, I might grind it just a tad smaller. Didn't seem so in person but in the pics it appears to be on the big side.

It was a LOT of fiddly work to get all parts to fit together. The beveled tang did not help there at all... now, many originals of this type that I‘ve seen were quite sloppily put together with gaps everywhere but that‘s not something I want to copy. That meant spending long hours working slowly and frequently checking the fit.

The wooden scales are already pinned and epoxied in place, as are the brass spacers. The bolsters and the Nagel still need to be etched. Then they too will be epoxied on, the Nagel shortend and peened over on the other side, locking everything together. I will have to peen cold but I‘m hoping the fairly soft wrought iron won‘t fight me too much.

Custom sword maker:

Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I‘d like to present to you the (almost) finished Rugger/Hauswehr. I still need to add my maker‘s mark but as my etching set-up is not in functioning order right now, that will have to wait a bit.

This type of blade was a typical EDC-weapon for Germanic late medieval/early renaissance period civilians and military personnel. It is not only a very effective close quarter weapon but can also be very handy as a tool. This specific piece is notably more geared towards martial usage though. In general, there is a huge variety of Bauernwehr/Hauswehr originals, with vast differences in size and shape. One thing they all seem to have in common is the hilt construction with slabs riveted to the wide tang. Many also sport a Nagel, a small piece of metal that potrudes from the side of the handle shortly in front of the blade. What makes this piece a Rugger is the profile taper to a pointy tip (though this one is actually more on the broad end of the spectrum for a Rugger, many actually have very slender needle tips).

With their stout blades, I feel these pieces are in a sense the late medieval equivalent to the dark-age seax and maybe the later Bowie knife.

I‘ve been wanting to give these handy little buggers a try, they appeal a lot more to me than earlier period seaxes but offer the same cool combination of being a reliable weapon and a tool.

Stats:
Steel: 80CrV2, heat treated to ca 58-60Rc
Overall length: 37cm (14.5“)
Blade length: 25.5cm (10“)
Blade width: 3.3cm (1.3“)
PoB: 2cm (0.8“)
Weight: 380g (0.8lbs)

The blade is ground from 6mm stock and retains the full thickness over much of its length, beginning to distally taper shortly before the back edge starts. The tip, though not again swelling to full thickness as on some originals, is kept very stout. The bevel is a full flat grind all the way up to the spine. The edge is of convex shape and seamlessly blended in with the bevel.
The back edge by necessity is of a fairly steep angle but just as hair shaving sharp as the main edge. It greatly aids in penetration and allows for quick back-edge snap cuts that might not cut deeply into a big, heavy target but are absolutely sufficient to maim an opponent‘s hand or face.
Being of short length and considerable thickness, the blade is absolutely rigid. It offers no flex whatsoever. Together with the sharp and stout point, I could easily see it penetrating a thin gambeson or with suitable force maybe even some light mail.

A rather plain blade like this one without anything in the way of fullers, fancy grinds, etc can easily seem a bit boring. So to give the piece some flair I made the bolsters and nagel out of 150+ years old wrought iron. This material can be a bit tricky to work with as it wants to crumble unless forged very hot but files and polishes easily and, when etched, reveals an interesting texture. I must say though that I am bit disappointed in how little the wrought‘s structure is visible in my pics. In person it‘s really quite obvious. I will see if I can borrow a better camera from a friend.

The metal fittings are attached in the historically accurate method of having the Nagel going through the bolsters and the tang to be peened over on the other side. For good measure I did add modern epoxy as well.

For the handle scales I selected pear wood with a nice dark color. The pins are brass tubes, as seen on some originals.

I really like how the smooth and polished blade stands in contrast with the „rustic“ wrought, the warm wood and the light brass.

I find this piece immensely satisfying to hold. It has a very pleasant heft to it, conveying a feeling of being utterly reliable. This is a thick blade with convex distal taper so it really packs a good punch for a blade of the size. At the same time it has enough profile taper to offer a fine point and not appear a mere chopper. The handling mirrors this impression, it feels agile and quick enough with a positive blade presence and deadly point. The blade is just long enough that I‘d start considering parrying/deflecting other blades with it. Here the blade‘s heft would again be a very positive aspect. I made the Nagel fairly substantial, it is easily capable of keeping an opponent‘s blade from sliding down onto the knuckles during blade contact.

While the false edge and overall blade shape indicate a very martial purpose for this blade, it absolutely is a handy tool as well. Cutting down saplings, splitting firewood or other chores, including more delicate ones, can be done with ease and the substantial blade with full tang construction is able to shrug off a lot more abuse than any sword could. This would be a very handy thing to carry around when out in the woods... (or when the apocalypse comes about Wink )

As usual I will later post a cutting video.

Of all the pieces I have made so far, this Rugger is one of my favorites and that is the best thing I can say about it. Very happy with it indeed.

I will soon send the blade out to www.3wunder.at to have a leather sheath made. I don‘t enjoy leather work myself and also lack many tools required to make a proper two-layered late medieval scabbard so I think this is the right way to go. I‘ll post some pics once the whole package is complete.

Cheers,
Lukas

Custom sword maker:

Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have received in progress pics of the sheath-making. Adam is doing a great job. Check out his work at www.3wunder.at

Inner layer being stitched:

Done:

Outer layer being stiched:

Done:

Main decoration added:

Final shape and decoration, ready to be dyed:

Custom sword maker:

Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's nothing about this that I don't absolutely love. It would look just as at home on the hip of a modern man as it would on someone from hundreds of years ago. The sheath compliments it greatly, and the whole finished package will be superb! I'm pretty much a minimalist, and any further embellishment on the knife or the sheath would be overkill. Beautiful simplicity!....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad you say that, Mark, because that's exactly what I feel as well and wanted to achieve with the piece. It's probably the most practical medieval design I have made and as usable today as it would be 500 years back.

I believe once I receive the package, I will take it with me the next time I go into the woods Wink

Custom sword maker:

Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have received the sheath for the Rugger. I am extremely happy with it, it really completes the package.

Great work by Adam at www.3wunder.at!

It also happened to be a beautiful cold and clear morning here so I couldn't resist the urge to go out early and take pics.

Enjoy!

Custom sword maker:

Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yesss......Simple perfection! And you had better take it for a walk in the woods with you! It belongs there. Happy .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well done Lukas,

That has come together as a great package and the leather work has integrated perfectly.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 24 Dec, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Tod and Mark, I appreciate that! Happy
Custom sword maker:

Dan Duke

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like the proportions on this blade!
J. Nicolaysen

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow that's very good. Are you keeping it or selling?
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Nov, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
Wow that's very good. Are you keeping it or selling?

Haven't had the heart to put it up for sale yet... I might though.

Custom sword maker:

E Stafford

PostPosted: Sat 25 Nov, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, I've been wondering, how do you get the nagel in? is it just hot peened?
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cold peened
Doug Lester

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's nothing not to love about the whole package. You gave me a great idea to try on the bolsters to fit the nagel if ever try to make one of these again. The way that you attached the straps to the sheath was also a great idea.

Doug

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > WIP: Hauswehr/Rugger
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic