"Pear Stalk" Helmet Tops - How & Why?
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of getting a cabasset commissioned and was curious if any of you had an insight on a curious part of the construction of these type helmets (both the flat-brimmed versions and the ones with the drooping, curving morion-style brims).

There's what is called a "pear stalk" at the top of these helmets - can any of you speak to how and why they ended up with such an odd thing? My only guess is they were an artifact of the construction process somehow? Two halves being welded together somehow?
Maybe it facilitates attachment of some sort of plume for decoration
Are you referring to the pointed-topped helm with the little 'twig' on top? That's a good question that I would like a good answer to also. I've been stumped by this since the first time I saw it on that style of helm. Maybe some way of attaching a crest or other heraldry? I don't believe I've ever seen that done in period art though. Glad you asked...now we both have to wait for someone 'in the know' to answer. :blush: .....McM
Sometimes fashion and fads are unexplained.
Many very late helmets were made with two piece skulls, but many from one piece. Fundamentally, they had pointed tops that were drawn out and then the point was hammer compressed back in on itself to form the 'pear stalk'.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: