Video of knight in armor being lifted with a hoist
I thought this was a myth? The guy wearing the armor had to be lifted up to a wooden horse to mount it. Is he wearing some different kind of armor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j310VVPPIRI
AAHHH NO THE CURSE IS BACK!!! That 's a kids series from Germany. The video is very old and people had no idea back then. Well they still haven't... obviously don't buy it. ABSOLUTE NONSENSE. PERIOD.
I may be wrong, but I don't think they had video cameras in the Middle Ages.

Honestly, when Mark Twain wrote about knights and cranes in A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, I don't know if Twain was sincere about the misconception or, in the persona of Hank Morgan, he was just making a sarcastic joke about the weight.
That video is hilarious, especially when he starts screaming from the ropes digging into his armpits, but to be fair I don't think that guy could have cleared the pommel horse in his tighty whities let alone full harness. :lol:

Here's an accurate SILENT MOVIE that dispels all the accumulated and persisting myths of armor:

https://youtu.be/NjKbi7YUNaI?t=8m46s

almost 100 years ago this stuff should have been put to rest.
As is usual, there is a kernel of truth to the myth. Henry VIII was apparently hoisted into his saddle during the siege of Boulogne. It wasn't because of his armour but because of his bad leg and corpulent obesity. He would have needed the winch even if he wore no armour at all.
Philip Renne wrote:
Here's an accurate SILENT MOVIE that dispels all the accumulated and persisting myths of armor:

https://youtu.be/NjKbi7YUNaI?t=8m46s

almost 100 years ago this stuff should have been put to rest.

Here is another video that should be required viewing. This was done by Dirk H. Breiding, Assistant Curator, Department of Arms and Armor, The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NqC_squo6X4
Thanks for discovering that treasure of a video. It's from a 28 year-old episode of "Die Sendung mit der Maus", which is a moderately-to-very educational kids' show (also very popular with adults due to usually high quality content).

No wonder they had to hoist him up, Armin (the host) wasn't particularly fit, the armor wasn't made to fit and of dubious quality and he certainly wasn't used to it.

Last edited by Johannes Zenker on Mon 11 Sep, 2017 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Cool info Dan, I always thought it was because Medieval to Early Modern period Tourney armor was built to be allot heavier and was less evenly weight disturbed than field harness. Not surprising at all, Henry VIII could be in dictionary under the phrase "to get yourself go!"
"Tourney armor was built to be allot heavier and was less evenly weight disturbed than field harness" You still need no crane god damn it!

Mark my words: "NO CRANES" - Peter Spätling 9/11/2017
If you were wearing that pile of junk, you wouldn't have a choice! ;)
I thought the 'screen door latches' on the greaves were rather odd. I've seen closures like that used to secure visors on certain helmets, but I don't recall seeing them used on body armor. Was that a 'thing' back in the day? Seems like buckled strapping would be more efficient, but then with one quick flick of the latch---you're out. Sooo......someone educate me here. :wtf: ....McM
Mark they can be found in the 16th century. But I don't know how common they were.

Yes the armour doesn't fit him at all... that video is a real shame :(
Thank you, Peter. I shall have to do a bit more homework. :) I can see latches being used on a specific, fitted suit....but on what I would call 'generic' armor....not so much. ;) ............McM

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: