Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Nauticalmart Gothic Armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Nauticalmart Gothic Armour         Reply with quote

Has anyone seen this? https://www.amazon.com/NauticalMart-Medieval-Gothic-German-Armour/dp/B071G7P2J5/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&qid=1504931887&sr=8-50&keywords=medieval+armor

The deal looks a little too good to be true, and I can't find any other images of it, their website also looks pretty sketchy? But their other items on Amazon (which all look kinda sh*tty) have good reviews in terms of getting what they want, and as described, etc.

Thoughts?
Z
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd be very cautious about buying anything on Amazon that ships from India. I would ask a ton of questions, and even ask N-M for photos of the EXACT armor they would be shipping. I just got burned on a helmet I bought through Amazon. Luckily, they gave me a full refund....but we're only talking $50-ish dollars here. Nautical-Mart is notorious for using other companies photos of armor and helmets in their ads on Amazon and Ebay. You can look at photos of some of their more expensive helmets and clearly see the ArmStreet logo in the bottom right that has Nautical-Mart pasted over ArmStreet. That is a pretty good deal...IF...that's what you actually receive. Shipping an item that size will probably be terrible in price and mode of transport also. Be careful and do some research before you click the 'buy' button! Wink .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you think you're going to wear it, just go ahead and light that money on fire. Burning it will save you disappointment because they are not asking for measurements from what I see in the ad. That means its either going to fit so large and loose that its not really going to fit, and all the movement is going to be off, or all the movement is just going to be off. To work right, this kind of armor needs to be fitted the the person using it.

If they are not fitting it to you and your soft kit, its not going to be done right. That's not going to be a bargain no matter what you spend with them.

Now, if you're only going to stand it in the corner...

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very true, Joe. I bought all of my armor 'off-the-shelf ', but I bought in pieces. I made sure of all the measurements before ordering, and luckily, everything works pretty well together. Happy Somewhere on the web, I saw a short video of two Indian fellows strapping a suit of this type of armor on another fellow. The arms, with gauntlets, hung past his knees. It looked absolutely ridiculous. But--they showed the same armor assembled on a frame and stand, and it was at least passable to stand in a corner. Laughing Out Loud ........McM
Iagoba Ferreira

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://historicenterprises.com/index.php?main...ts_id=1126

There you have the original seller, and a more realistic price for that good work Wink

I would avoid that Amazon shop at any cost... If they "work" like this... Eek!
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zach---You might do better to start off with something like this as a base. You can build your kit around it fairly easily. At least with a company like KoA, you can rest pretty well assured that you will get a decent product, and if it doesn't work out...they will always take it back. It may have been the fancy fluting and metal work that originally caught your eye though. Can't say as I blame you, but something like this might work from a practical standpoint. Just a suggestion... Happy ......McM

www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH3896N...D+18+Gauge

Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
I'd be very cautious about buying anything on Amazon that ships from India. I would ask a ton of questions, and even ask N-M for photos of the EXACT armor they would be shipping

It has been my experience that asking questions and requesting photos doesn't help when dealing with Indian companies. They tell you whatever they think you want to hear and send you photos of other people's work. The only way to guarantee that you get what you paid for is to go to India and personally visit the workshop. The best option is to deal with a western importer who is obligated to adhere to local consumer laws.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's exactly why I made the reference to KoA. They may not have the *best* armor, but at least you *can see* what you're getting. And, returns have never been a problem...at least for me. However, I bought the majority of my polished suit from Medieval Collectibles. Some here may have issues with them also...not me. Everything I've ever gotten from M-C's has been as described, arrived quick, and well packaged. Returns on a couple of items were also painless. I really don't see how some of these India-based companies get away with the false advertising and outright lies. I'm surprised that the reputable makers can't take SOME kind of actions to put a stop to it, but I guess US laws and the laws of other countries just don't apply. I suppose if the laws did apply, the only ones to be left standing would be GDFB, Windlass, Lord of Battles, and a couple of others. WTF?! ....McM
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I wasn't intending to buy it. I was more talking about whether people had seen the seller.. Iagoba, has it spot on! There's the original!

Ive since found they have another photo up, of an armour made by Peter Fuller (http://www.medievalrepro.com/index.html)

So NauticalMart is clearly some kinda scam, be warned!

Z

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Nauticalmart Gothic Armour
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic