Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hilting the Hanwei Tinker LongswordDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

S-curve the guard of #1 and I'm there! I'm partial to that style anyway, but that does also bring pommel and guard into the same period.

Attachment: 182.93 KB
hand_296.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
S-curve the guard of #1 and I'm there! I'm partial to that style anyway, but that does also bring pommel and guard into the same period.

I like that idea, too.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's pretty sweet also, but still...#3. Razz Laughing Out Loud ......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Jon Makar

PostPosted: Sat 02 Sep, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As I was already partial to the bowtie style 5, if it's an option, and in fact based on a vote in general, the curved style 12 is the natural choice to pair with the scent stopper pommel for me!

Last edited by Jon Makar on Sat 02 Sep, 2017 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fisher Lobdell

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Sep, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am split between 3 and 2... go with 3.
"Absence of evidence is not necessarily the evedence of Absence." Ewart Oakeshotte.
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sun 03 Sep, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You need three blades......
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Sun 03 Sep, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd prefer #2, it just looks right. Then #3. I've never been a fan of 'bowtie' crosses, so not #1 Wink
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Simon McKenna

PostPosted: Mon 04 Sep, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I originally thought 2 but now i see them with the grip on its definitely 3 for me, followed by 2 then 1.

Of course they all look better than my DIY attempt with this blade which is a long-standing work in progress!
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!
My preference goes for the initial design (bowtie+wheel+rainguard) and the scent stopper+curved guard.
In short, I have no clue where I want this to go Happy this will rest on the shelves for a couple of years I bet, until I find out!
I had overlooked the fact that the VA scent stopper pommel is thicker than the grip, which implies I'd have to make a new one, and this may influence my choice here.
Cheers!
J
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd go with your initial feeling then. To me the bowtie and wheel pommel look nice together.

Rain guard or not good stuff.

I am preparing to make a scabbard for a sword I have and rehilt it as well. I think your break down of this is very clear and methodical.

Thanks for sharing it!

RPM
Julien M

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finally back at it after my move to Texas.
Complete reboot since I lost interest in my previous designs and now have easy access (+domestic shipping) to the printed armoury hilts by the excellent Mike Jia.
Always loved the concept of interchangeable hilt parts but was never convinced by most mounted swords I've seen using these. Pb is that the tang of the HT longsword is very long - this calls for a smaller pommel (300g) and results in an awkwardly proportioned sword in my opinion. My goal was to reduce the tang size as much as I could to get it to my liking.
So I snatched an unfinished viscount set, cleaned it up, rounded off the top 'wings' of the fishtail to my liking, chopped the tang to optimal size (no thread anymore, will peen) and made a rough scabbard.This is where I am now. Easy project, everything fits together with a few tap of a hammer for once - done over one day for the most part, well suited for my current lack of equipment (I had to ditch a lot of my stuff moving out of the uk (damn 220v/110v...).
I really like the piece - I find it has a distinct LOTR flair to it, which will probably give me an excuse to go fantasy on the scabbard theme. Due to the light pommel, the POB is slightly further down the blade that I would like (15cm) but it still handles nicely. Need to polish all components to satin and peen. Let me know what you think.
Cheers,
J

A few question to my fellow american sword enthusiast and DIYers.
Where can I get cheap steel, bronze, brass etc? ebay in the uk used to be great for that.
Same for leather (tandy?)
I already have a belt sander in mind, the USA is a heaven for heavy duty tools!

Jonathan Hodge

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien, I like the look of this very much. Well done! Secondly, when you soak and press your scabbard boards, I’m assuming you pre-cut and shape. Is this correct?
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks great, I like a bit of LOTR flair.

What are the dimensions of the slot/cavity in that pommel? I'm mostly interested in the dimensions of the recess for the pommel nut.
Julien M

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hodge wrote:
Julien, I like the look of this very much. Well done! Secondly, when you soak and press your scabbard boards, I’m assuming you pre-cut and shape. Is this correct?

Thx Jonathan - yes I've soaked and pressed the boards clamped against the blade after cutting to shape (remember to wrap the oiled blade in plastic wrap before!). In fact I'm pretty sure I've documented the process here on this forum but can't find it anymore...

Hey lazlo - I'll measure the pommel and will send you the details. The hilt parts clean up fast with a Dremel - can't recommend these enough.
Julien M

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well it's only been a few years that this project is pending - some time ago I decided to finish this sword so after peening, dyeing and some tweaks to the scabbard core I call call it done (save for the leather work on the scabbard of course).
I've since antiqued the grip some to tone down that bright red a notch.

Charles S.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That’s a beautiful piece! I’d been wondering what the finished one would look like for two years now 😁.
Julien M

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Charles S. wrote:
That’s a beautiful piece! I’d been wondering what the finished one would look like for two years now 😁.

AhAh - thx for your kind words, it's not unusual for my projects to stretch over decades but this is the longest I have been away from sword making - I blame work and this sort of things fast pilling on my shelves:

...an unexpected and full force return to warhammer fantasy battle and miniature painting as my son came of age.
But the urge to tackle the anvil is steadily coming back so let's see where this goes Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hilting the Hanwei Tinker LongswordDIY Project
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: