Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hilting the Hanwei Tinker LongswordDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Hilting the Hanwei Tinker Longsword         Reply with quote

Time for a new project, since I realized I had mostly one handed swords in my "collection".
Always liked the HT longsword, with its flared shoulder and slender profile.
I got a bow-tie guard from a trade with Sean F a while ago, and a scent stopper pommel from Sonny at VA last year.

Below is what my week end build looks so far.
Chopped two inches of the very long tang, and grinded the tang for the pommel to sit closer to the guard.
Poplar handle - needs more refinement (too fat in the middle), but feels quite nice already.
The guard fits like a glove, and the blade recess is perfect for this blade two.
A very easy ride so far, as fiddling to adjust guard/pommel is where you spend most time on a sword assembly.

Scabbard was made with slats of 3mm plywood. I soaked and clamped them last week, left the whole thing to dry until today (don't forget to oil and protect the blade with plastic wrap (see set up below). The longer you leave it the better I find.
Then apply a thin line of wood glue with the naked blade inside, clamp around and let it dry (pics below of 3 WIP scabbards).
This technique produces the best fit and gorgeous looking cores for very little effort (see fit on pic below).

The trick is to ensure that the blade can move in an out. Experimentation will get you there. Inserting veneer strips inside works, but my favorite way is to add a long strip of cardboard inside on top of the blade. Also insert the blade 1 cm further down the future scabbard. This will also result in being able to insert the blade fully once glued without having to force it down. These simple tips will likely make the difference between success and failure.

I also find that the fit improves with time so don;t get too worried if you struggle to put the blade in the scabbard at first. With past attempts, after leaving a sword in such a core for a few month I had to tap it down with a rubber mallet with the tang clamped to a vice to be able to free the blade. I oiled it and put it back, and now the fit is perfect.

Pics below.
I have at least 2 other guards that could have been good candidates for this blade (one that could produce a very brescia looking sword that I considered first).
But the bow-tie grew on me, and i think will fit nicely with a rain guard (rain guard? no rain guard?)
Hope you like it and comments welcome.
Cheers,
J

Zach Gordon

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something about the straight bowtie looks a bit strange to my eye.. it is an odd combination with the pommel, and something about it looks a bit strange visually.. perhaps if it got an S bend, or had the guard turned down toward the blade? Not sure. Rain guard might help..

Just my humble opinion!
Z
Brian M.

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien, I really enjoy your DIY threads. Good craftsmanship, good explanations, good photo documentation. Thank you for sharing your work.

Two questions on the scabbard process:
  • First, your tip about positioning the blade 1 cm deeper into the scabbard makes sense. However, the sword I want to try this on is already mounted and peened. Any suggestions, or should I just go ahead and do the clamping normally and not worry about that extra cm?
  • Second, regarding the plastic wrap: are you just talking about regular kitchen cling wrap for storing food? Do you wrap it around the blade a few times, or just one layer to be as thin as possible?

Thanks!
Julien M

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zach Gordon wrote:
Something about the straight bowtie looks a bit strange to my eye.. it is an odd combination with the pommel, and something about it looks a bit strange visually

Yes I struggled with it at first too, then somehow got accustomed to it. This is good feedback, I'll probably post the other guards too for comparisons before making this permanent. Something may be slightly off with the proportion of the hilt. I just went along and did not stop much for design considerations - while I usually reproduce proportion from museum originals. Worth double checking.

Brian M. wrote:

Two questions on the scabbard process:
  • First, your tip about positioning the blade 1 cm deeper into the scabbard makes sense. However, the sword I want to try this on is already mounted and peened. Any suggestions, or should I just go ahead and do the clamping normally and not worry about that extra cm?
  • Second, regarding the plastic wrap: are you just talking about regular kitchen cling wrap for storing food? Do you wrap it around the blade a few times, or just one layer to be as thin as possible?

Thanks!

Thx Brian - glad it's useful.
You have no choice here, so I would just trace the blade on cardboard and slide it inside. If that's not enough, get some veneer offcuts on ebay, and cut thin bands that you will glue on the edge of the inner core, were you will glue to close. This will give you the room you need to slide the blade in and out.
Julien M

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

and yes - simple kitchen wrap, 2 pass. I would not worry about the thickness, when the blade is out after clamping it's very thin indeed. On a mounted sword, I would wrap and oil the hilt too.
Julien M

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Played around a little bit
I think I may change course to use the straight guard on the top.
wheel pommel fits better with the bowtie for sure, but want a scent stopper on this.
I strikes me that the grip is still way to long and ill formed - I'll fix this.
The one in the middle is my favorite - but I made this for my upgraded sword of auray project, and intend to use it for that.
let me know what you think.
J

Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like number I (the straight guard), of the three most recently posted photos with the scent stopper, personally. I concur with your thoughts that the bowtie guard has a better look with the disc pommel.

Cheers,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Which pommel is closest in weight to the one that comes with the sword? Both of them look good.
Julien M

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some progress here...it's been a while since I have not done anything sword related and the longer you've been idle the harder it is to drag yourself to the shed instead of binge watching the latest netflix show Happy

I'm actually not far from having a sword - I shortened the grip, wrapped it in linen thread, applied diluted glue on top to harden. Wrapped in leather and bound with cord. The grip came out nicely. I'll never manage to leave to rest overnight though, I had to check it out after just a couple of hours as usual:)

Made a rainguard too - the hard part here is finding a design to carve on the flaps....beasts, floral design...that step can take a loooong time (I don't sort my source pictures and I should).

Pommel is a darksword one I think, with the usual flattened top and bottom. I welded a slice to be able to round it at the top, but as you can see, it's hit and miss with arc welding and I've got material mostly were I don't want it Happy
I'll probably give this another go. If anyone as a better idea to fill in those holes and crevasses, I'll take it (I've done that with plummer solder in the past - but steel patinate darker and this will show after a while.

Fisher Lobdell

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks good, though I did like hilt number 2 best. Might I ask, how did you get that pommel from Sonny?
"Absence of evidence is not necessarily the evedence of Absence." Ewart Oakeshotte.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my own mind, I was looking forward to the #2 configuration also. That just looked totally elegant. But, what you have looks great! Love the grip...you nailed that one. Wink ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Fisher Lobdell

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Indeed, it, to my mind looks like a 'proper' sword. Wink
"Absence of evidence is not necessarily the evedence of Absence." Ewart Oakeshotte.
Jon Makar

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The option that you chose is by far my favourite! It looks much like the type of sword you see in German manuscripts, during the 1420-1440 time period - with the Type J pommel and Style 5 guard, with semi-circular rain guard! One of my favourite combinations for an earlier thrusting sword, and looks like one of my favourite historical examples of all, the famous Ljubljana sword. The revised grip looks much better too! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Jon Makar
Julien M

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jon Makar wrote:
looks like one of my favorite historical examples of all, the famous Ljubljana sword.

The Ljubljana - of course thx for pointing that out! This was lingering at the back of my head but I could to put my finger on it Happy

I have another long sword blade so other hilt combinations may still happen.

Regarding the Valiant pommel:
simply put, I asked Sonny for one Happy

I should say that it is made to fit valiant blades, which are on the very light side, and though it looks good, it is too light for much of my blades including this one and I will likely list it on the marketplace soon.
Julien M

PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alright, may change course again now that I can play around with a nice grip...(and my wheel pommel is not heavy enough to make for a very nice balance...)

Help me choose!
I vote for 3 in the end, remind me of my first sword, the MRL Towton which I sold but miss.
J

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Help me choose!

I don't love, love any of them, but... 3, 2, 1 in that order.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm with Nathan. # 3...absolutely. That's just sexy. Then #2 , then #1. Wink .......McM
Hannes Vereecke

PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I prefer #3 aswell
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the main reason I like #3 is because it is historical in all ways, but it has a certain LOTR/GOT flair to it. It's fancy without being gaudy, and practical with just a touch of 'show-off'----if that makes any sense at all. Happy .....McM
Jonathan Hodge

PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Design 3 definitely looks nice, but I'm the oddball out here and actually lean toward design 2. To my eye it appears simultaneously sleek and aggressive. Something about that guard with the scent-stopper pommel just really pairs well for me. Good luck in choosing!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hilting the Hanwei Tinker LongswordDIY Project
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: