Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Who makes a reliable strong Pole axe? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lance Morris

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Who makes a reliable strong Pole axe?         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Who makes a reliable strong Pole axe? That isn't arms and armour.

I hear good things about lutel? Any other recommendations

Thank you
Jon Makar

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have never owned one, but the Arms+Armor Manufacture (i.e. not Arms and Armour, but the other one) makes two very nice looking and affordable pollaxes! I have also heard a great deal of positive things about White Wells Arms, whose pollaxes are, in my opinion, the nicest looking on the market - fit for a true knight.

Jon Makar
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 01 Aug, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cold Steel had one in their lineup a few years back, but apparently discontinued them. Not much on looks, but they were tough. I have no idea where you might find one now, other than putting up a wanted ad. Worried ...McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was WRONG! They still make the Cold Steel pole axe! If they are as stout as the Warhammer and Viking Axe, it ought to be a pretty darned tough weapon. Hmmm....may have to add one to an empty corner in my 'man-cave'. Yep. Happy ....McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Weeellll....After reading several customer reviews from Amazon.com....on second thought, maybe not. Sad .....McM
Lance Morris

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: !!!!!         Reply with quote

Yeah!! Their hammers and axe are great

Their spears and halberd suck
Jon Makar

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is the suckiness due to their socket?
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe I can answer that, even without owning one. The spears and halberds all share the same trait...an open socket. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but it still rubs a bit raw to some. I can personally attest....the CS Viking Axe is one of the biggest, toughest, best looking products that CS has ever offered. Don't be mislead by customer reviews saying how easy it is to assemble....it's not. But once you get there....daaaa-aaammmn! What a shredder! Eek! I may yet do a short review of the one I own....once it stops raining long enough for me to go out and kill a few water bottles and pool noodles. Big Grin ....McM
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a great question that I have been trying to figure out for a long time. I have owned and sold (on this forum) quite a few of A & A pieces...the look was spot on but heat treat was terrible for the price..would love to find a quality piece myself
"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
John Hardy

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark C. Moore wrote:
I believe I can answer that, even without owning one. The spears and halberds all share the same trait...an open socket. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but it still rubs a bit raw to some. I can personally attest....the CS Viking Axe is one of the biggest, toughest, best looking products that CS has ever offered. Don't be mislead by customer reviews saying how easy it is to assemble....it's not. But once you get there....daaaa-aaammmn! What a shredder! Eek! I may yet do a short review of the one I own....once it stops raining long enough for me to go out and kill a few water bottles and pool noodles. Big Grin ....McM

Disagree about this, as an owner of all of them. The Cold Steel Assegai and modern Boar Spear have open sockets. Excellent weapons, btw. However the halberds, bill and spears in the Man At Arms series all have proper closed sockets. The halberds and bill all fit on the poles using a socket and a pin (or screw) through a hole in the socket rather than using langets as many of the original weapons did. Apart from that, however, the weapons are well made using good steel properly heat treated and can be sharpened to be lethally effective.

As I said, I own the short Assegai, the modern Boar Spear, the Swiss Halberd, English Bill, 18th c. Sergeant's Halberd, Winged Spear, Leaf Spear and European Spear. I have absolutely no clue why people say they "suck".
John Hardy

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Who makes a reliable strong Pole axe?         Reply with quote

Lance Morris wrote:
Hello everyone,

Who makes a reliable strong Pole axe? That isn't arms and armour.

I hear good things about lutel? Any other recommendations

Thank you

I'm not sure if it's exactly the kind of Poleaxe you're looking for, but have you considered the new Fiore War Hammer in the Windlass Battlecry series? It's about 4 feet long like the warhammers/pole axes shown by Fiore in his treatise on weapons use. Looks like a pretty tough, well made and visually accurate version of an armoured knight's foot combat can-opener.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Hardy----I made a fatal mistake. I assumed. If the CS MAA line of halberds and spears are true full-socket, then good for them. I've never seen a photo of them from different sides. Worried But then, I've never really looked because I don't want one. If I want a halberd/pole arm/spear, I will build it myself. Happy That way, if it fails, ...I know who to blame. WTF?! ......McM
John Hardy

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark C. Moore wrote:
John Hardy----I made a fatal mistake. I assumed. If the CS MAA line of halberds and spears are true full-socket, then good for them. I've never seen a photo of them from different sides. Worried But then, I've never really looked because I don't want one. If I want a halberd/pole arm/spear, I will build it myself. Happy That way, if it fails, ...I know who to blame. WTF?! ......McM

The planets, obviously. Because if they hadn't been aligned wrong so that Mars was in the ascendant but Jupiter was in the House of the Turkey, your build project would have worked perfectly... Happy
Jon Makar

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

LOL (@ John Hardy)! And that sounds pretty promising considering some of the opinions I've seen elsewhere! I am reluctant to believe that every single Cold Steel product is poor quality, contrary to popular belief. Maybe I'll have to get ahold of a Cold Steel pollaxe, so I can add a cheap, yet robust member to my collection. Then I don't always have to worry about it breaking!

Can anybody say anything about the makers/pollaxes that I had mentioned above? (Arms+Armor Manufacture or White Wells Arms)?
Lance Morris

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Hello         Reply with quote

Hello gents

I had an assai spear from cold steel. It broke. Not impressed. How ever for the price wasn't expecting the world.

For the price I paid for the A and A pole axe. I was expecting better. The weld busted!! I was not happy that it was welded in the first place.

I'll check into deepeka- if those fail it's not a $550 hit
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the MAA Bill from CS. I can't say I've ever held an actual medieval one but it's an alright piece. The shaft is entirely round, though, and it leads to some issue in edge alignment as a result; I think if I were to sand the pole flat along the sides, it would be a bit better. On its own it does track well, however. I may buy another example, sand off all the finish, and use it as another bit of living history gear.

Oh, the screws are probably not the best long-term mount. I'm told I could drive a nail through and have it be more secure - that's likely what I'd do with the next one.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
John Hardy

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
I have the MAA Bill from CS. I can't say I've ever held an actual medieval one but it's an alright piece. The shaft is entirely round, though, and it leads to some issue in edge alignment as a result; I think if I were to sand the pole flat along the sides, it would be a bit better. On its own it does track well, however. I may buy another example, sand off all the finish, and use it as another bit of living history gear.

Oh, the screws are probably not the best long-term mount. I'm told I could drive a nail through and have it be more secure - that's likely what I'd do with the next one.

M.

Yes, the round shafts are a bit of an issue. The Swiss Halberd comes with the haft flattened on the sides so you can tell by feel where the edge is and it helps with the grip. With my other ones, I took some decorative brass-headed tacks and studded the shafts with them, set about six inches apart and set in line with the cutting edges. I can tell immediately by feel where my edge is, even in the dark.
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello         Reply with quote

Lance Morris wrote:
Hello gents
For the price I paid for the A and A pole axe. I was expecting better. The weld busted!! I was not happy that it was welded in the first place.
I'll check into deepeka- if those fail it's not a $550 hit

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune with the construction of that weapon, but don't most complex (historical) polearms of that nature have at least some form of forge welding incorporated into their construction? Where did the welds fail?
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Hardy wrote:

Yes, the round shafts are a bit of an issue. The Swiss Halberd comes with the haft flattened on the sides so you can tell by feel where the edge is and it helps with the grip. With my other ones, I took some decorative brass-headed tacks and studded the shafts with them, set about six inches apart and set in line with the cutting edges. I can tell immediately by feel where my edge is, even in the dark.

Do we really know if period shafts were round or otherwise? The socket part is one thing, but the actual holding spot is definitely another.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Who makes a reliable strong Pole axe?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic