Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Your ideas and thoughts needed ! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gregory T Kallok

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jul, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Your ideas and thoughts needed !         Reply with quote

Hello, I have just ordered an Albion Munich in Gothic. I an entertaining ideas for a Cool coin the size of an American "nickel" to put into the slot in the pommel. The leather is going to be Black keeping with the Gothic theme.I am thinking real silver. I would LOVE to have a 14 or 15 century coin that would fit. I would be willing to spend what I had too to get that perfect item. So please, give your ideas. When get this sword a year fro now I will post a few pics. I'm going to also commission a scabard in black and some silver inlay in some gothic scheme i will dream up.
Keep your nose in the Wind and your eye on the skyline.
Del Q
Henry R. Gower

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jul, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Coin for Munich Sword         Reply with quote

I would suggest that you need a German or Holy Roman Empire Coin to fit this sword. I would look under Ebay Germany, Munzen-Alt Deutschland topic, and put in "Silber" for silver, or "Gold" if that's your pleasure. Or, if you want a replica coin, I would put in Nachpraegung or Neupraegung, (means new striking) or "replik," under the main heading "munzen." A lot of the listings give dimensions of their offerings in mm.
Henry
Gregory T Kallok

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jul, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I knew someone would have a great idea. This will give me a direction and indeed a German theme is perfect. Thank you
Del Q
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jul, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For really high quality reproduction coins, check out www.antiquanova.com Their best coins are ancient Greek ones, but they have later stuff as well. I put two of their Greek coins on one of my 15th century swords - see photos

Attachment: 100.28 KB
XXa3s.jpg

Attachment: 96.4 KB
XXa4s.jpg

Cyrus S.

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jul, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those pommels look fantastic Roger, it's always the little details that really bring a piece into its own Wink I too have the same sort of hollowed out, round pommel, for a 'realistic looking' wooden sword I'm building.

Do any of you blokes happen to know what the Oakeshott typology for those pommels is? I've read the descriptions carefully but can't figure it out.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jul, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally, if I were you, I would order a coin from MA-Shops and purchase an authentic medieval coin. They have a wide variety of coin dealers who sell through them, most of whom have substantial numbers of coins from Germany and the Holy Roman Empire. You can constrain your search from 1450 AD to 1500 AD, perfect for the Munich. Also, if you know the search terms in German, you can look for coins with specific details, e.g. "Adler" if you want an eagle.

Here's an example of one such coin they have for sale that fits with the imperial eagle theme and dates from 1468-1500: https://www.ma-shops.com/olding/item.php5?id=283523&lang=en

Be careful buying from Ebay. It's notorious for fake coins and dubious artifacts. I personally would avoid it; there are many other more reliable places to find coins online.
Cyrus S.

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you ended up with a coin a little too big or too small, and you're handy with tools, you can mill down and dress the edges using emery or alternatively form a setting/bezel in order to solder or pin it into the pommel.

I personally wouldn't alter an authentic medieval coin, but I see no reason not to on a repro if you find one you really like which isn't the correct size. As beautiful as those Greek repros are that Roger posted, I'd be inclined to find one matching the date of your sword. But sacrifices can always be made for style Wink
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another site you might look at is the SHIRE POST MINT, they have a variety of coins that might work for you depending on how historically accurate you want the coins in the pommel to be.

They can also make and design a coin for you, but that can be expensive as read in their FAQ this might be close to $500

https://www.shirepost.com/?utm_source=Shire+Post+Mint+Newsletter&utm_campaign=a7d0115958-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_11_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3c13dacc29-a7d0115958-14575845&mc_cid=a7d0115958&mc_eid=a459b897e8

You can e-mail them for answers to any questions you might have.

Tom Maringer who owns the site was a very active knife and sword maker in the 1970s and 1980s but got into making coins using traditional means some decades ago.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gregory T Kallok

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh my, I always try and go to the "Experts" and am seldom disappointed. You guys ROCK!!!. I will post pictures when I get what I get. Thank you all most humbley!!!
Del Q
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Knowing nothing about ancient coins, I don't know how legit this guy is, but his site looks pretty interesting: http://www.ancientresource.com/index.html
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something about the style and presentation of that site seems dubious to me, Doug. Personally, I would be leery about making purchases from it..

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Your ideas and thoughts needed !
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic