Following on from Part 1 (background and un-boxing) here’s a more detailed look at the Type XIV sword. Because Mateusz takes nice pictures I’m going to use some of his photos.

Key stats for this sword (my own measurements):

Total length: 810 mm (32”)
Blade length: 652 mm (25˝”)
Hilt length: 158 mm (6˝”)
Cross width: 198 mm (8”)
Total mass: 1077 g (2 Ib 6oz)
Centre of mass: 100 mm (4”) from cross
Blade width at cross is 72 mm (3”) and the blade has fairly uniform distal taper from 4.8 mm down to 3mm near the tip.

First impression on picking up this sword is that, although quite short and handy in length, the blade has some serious presence, is quite stiff throughout its length, and should perform pretty well in both cut and thrust. Obviously reach is limited but my guess is that it would be a great weapon for close quarters fighting and well suited to sword and buckler use.

In terms of build quality and aesthetics, well it looks great and appears of very solid construction with absolutely no sign of movement in the hilt components or grip. Blade lines look good/clean with well executed fullers and the edge is fairly sharp but looks like it would survive some serious use. I wouldn’t try and shave with it but the edge has no problem with water filled plastic bottles cutting in the final third of the blade. The guard and pommel are nicely executed, with copper inlaid cross potent on both sides of the pommel. This is a feature I asked for having seen Mateusz execute it on a couple of other Type XIV swords. The execution of these inlays is clearly quite tricky and they are not as crisp/clean and neat as the rest of the sword, but I'm really nit-picking and I still really like them as a feature and don’t feel it detracts in any way, and actually reminds you that this is a unique hand-made product.

Overall, I’m very happy with this sword – it feel like a well-executed reproduction that would perform very well as a functional tool, and yet also look totally at home as a very attractive display piece!

Part 3 (the Type XVIa) will follow in the next few days.

Attachment: 248.15 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 111.28 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 35.14 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 109.89 KB
[ Download ]