Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > gunstock warclub and cold steel tomahawk modDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: gunstock warclub and cold steel tomahawk mod         Reply with quote

hello, i thought i'd share what i did lately, i made a gunstock warclub and modded a cold steel trail hawk for the fun of it.

for the gunstock warclub it was made from red oak that i finished with tung oil based stain and later on i added varnish.

as for the tomahawk i just added a walnut stain and pyrocarved a design. closer to the blade was from a pewter inlayed though the design isn'T as straight as i would like it to be it does give some flair to it and the further to the head it was inspired by ori's belt pattern from the hobbit movie it took about 3 days to do all the dots and my finger in the end couldn'T take any more of this lol anyway here's the pictures

about the green tape on the gunstock warclub, this was before i applied varnish on the warclub which completely messed up the contrast and washed a bit of the stain for some reason.... thinking of just burning the darkest textured spots... oh and the blade of the warclub is the tip of a DSA squire blade that i had for a long time but judged to heavy for the tang it had to use as a sword .

thanks for looking Happy

Attachment: 214.63 KB
DSC03337.JPG

Attachment: 221.05 KB
DSC03334.JPG

Attachment: 139.22 KB
DSC03308.JPG

Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice job on both! Just another example of how nice the CS hawks can be with a little talent and work! Big Grin ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks! i wanted to point out that for the gunstock warclub i did 90% of the work with a mini wood plane, took a while but i loved working on that Happy
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
thanks! i wanted to point out that for the gunstock warclub i did 90% of the work with a mini wood plane, took a while but i loved working on that Happy

Etienne, long time since we communicated but I see that you are showing some real design talent with the War Club: I like the shape and proportions of the club.

Is the blade covered with tape to protect it from the vice clamping it down ? it's hard to see the shape of the blade.

The cold steel tomahawks are nice if one gets rid of the ugly black coating.

I used pain stripper on the black coating and removed it leaving a nicer grey finish on the steel on a Cold Steel Rifleman's hawk , this saves a lot of work compared to trying to sand off the very tough Cold Steel coating.

Someone not caring about the aesthetics and wanting to use the hawks can leave the ugly black paint as it does give some good rust protection.

The tomahawks handle looks very good also.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Mon 22 May, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's been a long time indeed! You are correct, the tape was to protect the blade i'm not sure about taking pictures though since the stain has been '' washed'' a little bit because of the varnish... i don't understand because i let it sit for minimum a week before applying a thin coat of floor varnish...

i used the paint stripper approach too for the ugly black paint of the tomahawk Happy didn'T take long to remove it, i personally don't mind if it rusts because then i'd be able to remove it with some fine steel wool and add a bit of natural patina with time Happy

the picture is from the less ugly side Laughing Out Loud the other is truly not to my liking and floor varnish on a punch textured surface is very hard if not impossible to remove ^^' ah well, we all live and learn :P

Attachment: 169.57 KB
DSC03363.JPG

Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 22 May, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I LOVE how you left that teeny bit of fuller showing! That's first class. It LOOKS LIKE it was originally made with a broken sword blade. Outstanding! Big Grin .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Mon 22 May, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks, it was a very fun project Happy the blade took some time to shape due to the hardness, the ''not ruining the temper'' factor and the speed of the drill press for the sanding drum (i don't have a belt grinder so that's what i used Happy ) .

i wanted to make a mini ball warclub but since i'd be making it with red oak planks just laminated together like i did this gunstock warclub i'd need to make it convincing Laughing Out Loud nothing that can'T be achieved with a nice mini shaver Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > gunstock warclub and cold steel tomahawk modDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic