New Sword Project
This one is a good example of why I never rule out revisiting a project. In 2016 I built a bastard sword using a HT bastard sword blade, modified Windlass guard and an inverted pommel from another Windlass sword. http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=337...ht=bastard

That was okay, but then Leo (Tod) Todeschini of Tod's Stuff unveiled his multiple interpretations of the famous Wallace Collection A479. Since A479 is thought to (possibly) once have had a narrower blade, I immediately started thinking about Tod's guard on my recent sword project. There are several surviving examples of this type of guard on narrow blades, and one in particular got my blood up for Tod's guard. (first image below, composite by Nathan Robinson from Hermann Historica images)

I've had good trade with Tod, and decided to take a wild shot at getting one of his A479 guards. To my great surprise and luck, he did have a rough casting and was willing to sell it to me.

I happily replaced the Windlass guard on my sword with Tod's guard. Then I gave the sword a plain scabbard in my usual style. The belt is a bit thicker than I'd like, but was the most readily available. Buckle and strap end are from Tod.

The chape is a modified Windlass piece. Bronze would be better, but this one is fine.

This sword is 42.5" overall. COG 3.5" below guard.

Attachment: 47.98 KB
example2.gif

Attachment: 105.55 KB
chape.gif

Attachment: 173.98 KB
chapework.gif

Attachment: 131.13 KB
scabbarddistal.gif

Attachment: 126.74 KB
scabbardmouth.gif

Attachment: 124.49 KB
scabbardtip.gif

Attachment: 110.21 KB
scabbardrasp.gif

Attachment: 123.02 KB
scabbardfit.gif

Attachment: 688.66 KB
bare.jpg

Attachment: 656.4 KB
inscabbard.jpg

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Fri 19 May, 2017 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Here's a better view of the upper part of the sword. You can see the brown color of all leather here. I should note that I narrowed Tod's strap end to fit that buckle, and had to make a tongue for the buckle because I misplaced the proper one.

Attachment: 765.34 KB
betterhilt.jpg

Attachment: 778.53 KB
resized.jpg

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Fri 19 May, 2017 12:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
I absolutely love this piece! Fantastic!!! Your images are so tiny and I want to see more. You can post much wider ones if you want... I'll go look at Facebook now because I really need to see more of this beautiful kit. Great job, man.
Thanks! I've now replaced a few of those shots.

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Fri 19 May, 2017 12:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
I think this is my favorite thing you've put together: and you've had some great projects. I know, because I still have those awesome polearms you made for me!!
I would agree :D I still had to say "good enough" at almost every step, but in terms of component quality and historical specs, this is the best by far, mainly due to Tod's wonderful guard and the HT blade, which is of good form and properly thick. I wish the HT line included a broad, single-hand Type XVIII and a longer version of the bastard.
I must admit that the sword is pretty impressive :D I tend to prefer the wider blade, but this guard made by Leo accords perfectly with your pommel. And I love the scabbard sober style. Congrats!
Bang on!
Nice to see these various components blend together and produce such a great result! Great job indeed.
The pommel especially matches the sword beautifully. You've done justice to Tod's spare guard cast no doubt, and managed to land very close to the hermann Historica sword too..

I see you are still doing scabbard cores the hard way - scraping and chiselling your way through.
I've just done 4 scabbard core with modelling ply formed around the blade - will post later today wit more details. It's sooo much less hassle, fits the busy commuters lifestyle so much better (one hour here, one hour there) and the results beats all my previous carving cores by a long shot in blade fit and looks - though yours is very well made but I bet it took some efforts (while with slats forming you trace blade, clamp, forget for 3 days or a week until dry, glue, touch up the outer core and done).
Yes, I definitely want to try the other method, as the results look wonderful! I'm keen to hear the details.
Great work Sean! I've always been impressed with the way your projects turn out andyou have only gotten better over the years. Makes me wish I did not have 10 thumbs.
This really came together well. The whole thing looks like it was made together, it amazes me that it's a Frankensword! Top work as always.
Thanks for the encouragement, folks!
The sword is realy nice. It is very good and clear work. The scabbard is also great.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: