Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First attempt at a scabbard: Albion Gallowglass Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Marcus Kouma

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: First attempt at a scabbard: Albion Gallowglass         Reply with quote

After years and years and years (and years) of longing from a distance, I decided it was now-or-never when Albion announced that the Gallowglass run was down to just three remaining swords and ordered one. This is my first not-utterly-terrible sword, and I decided to have a go at making a scabbard for it. All in all, I think it came out fairly well (considering I've absolutely no prior experience with leather or metal work and only the barest minimum experience with wood), and I wanted to share.

Thanks!

Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great, first attempt or no! Did you sew up the seam in the back or just glue? That's where my first attempt was most difficult. I just glued but even that didn't come out straight.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Marcus Kouma

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it came out, despite a few mishaps here and there. It's stitched up the back; I only used glue to attach the risers to the core and to secure the chape.

Here's a picture before dying the leather. I somehow got the holes out of alignment while punching them, so the seam wanted to pull to the side pretty badly. That said it still came out relatively straight-ish.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First attempt at a scabbard: Albion Gallowglass
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic