Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norman maces Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Wed 15 Mar, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Two-handed flails did see serious military use at times, most notably in the Hussite Wars in the 15th century.

Circa 1600 and on (perhaps earlier too), some Korean cavalry used two-handed flails.

As far as Norman maces go, a blow from horseback from a strong and skilled rider would presumably be enough to at least stun any opposing cavalry soldiers. Writing in the first half of the 15th century, Bertrandon de la Broquière thought Turkish cavalry maces would be able to knock a person unconscious through a helmet if the wielder were "swinging freely" (Galen Kline's 1988 English translation). Western European en-at-arms retained the mace until the pistol generally replaced it and transformed heavy cavalry overall.

On the other hand, some Norman maces may have been a bit light compared with 15th-century Turkish maces or 15th/16th-century European maces. I've seen a number of 16th-century maces that are 3+lbs according to museum records, while some earlier maces were only 1-2lbs.

Wow! Very detailed Answear, thank you very much!

Yeah, I agree with everything you've said here, and thank you for the brief measurement estimate there, I haven't been able to find Norman mace weights anywhere yet, so that is very useful!

~JD (James)
Graham Shearlaw

PostPosted: Wed 15 Mar, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Two-handed flails did see serious military use at times, most notably in the Hussite Wars in the 15th century.

I'm not saying the flails weren't used, as they clearly where.
But that there a emergency weapon, most of the images( admittedly its a tiny sample.) show them used by groups carrying pitchforks or some are not dressed in armour.

Mark Moore Thanks for the weight i can see just how of a brutal lump of metal that must be to swing.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nope. Nope. Nope. Two-handed flails were a very different beast from one-handed versions -- and they were actually quite common in Central Europe. They're everywhere in town militia inventories, for instance, and also in illustrations of the Hussite Wars. In fact, two-handed flails and halberds were arguably the iconic weapons of German town militias well into the sixteenth or even the seventeenth century. Note that townsmen, unlike farmers, wouldn't have had to thresh their own grain. Their flails were primarily fighting implements (though not always military since they were also extensively used in internal police duties).
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
They're everywhere in town militia inventories,.

What term is used to denote them in these inventories? How do we know that this term is describing what we know as a two-handed flail?

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Gregg Sobocinski

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry I am late to the conversation. Regarding one of the posts in March, could this shape possibly be adjusted to look like a heart shaped mace? (I am intrigued by the idea.)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6e/Indian_shishpar_%28flanged_mace%29.jpg/117px-Indian_shishpar_%28flanged_mace%29.jpg

Or by swelling this shape?
http://www.ashokaarts.com/img/product_images/...9-4629.jpg

Maybe this one is closest to a simple heart shape:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/attachment.php?...&stc=1
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
They're everywhere in town militia inventories,.

What term is used to denote them in these inventories? How do we know that this term is describing what we know as a two-handed flail?

I'll have to dig deep into my reading pile to find this because I read that a fair amount of time ago, so for the moment I'll just link to the HROARR gallery of artwork depicting flails in what could (mostly) be reasonably interpreted in martial contexts. Worth noting that the majority are two-handed: http://hroarr.com/articles-reviews/galleries/pflegeln-flails/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norman maces
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: