myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Walking stickDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jan, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New stick: It's made from a Lilac branch from my back of the house small garden because I had to cut down some branches that where growing into a staircase and window.

Carved in low relief, Lilac is fairly hard like White Oak or Ash but it's not generally available as lumber because the Lilac bush grows with very crooked trunk and branches that would not be easily cut into planks of a usable size.

EDITED, harder than White oak or Ash:
Quote:
Janka Hardness: 2,350 lbf (10,440 N)*

The wood can also badly split as it dries, but the way around that is to leave the bark on the cut off branches and put some vaseline at the cut ends to that the ends don't dry faster than the rest of the wood. I let this piece dry out for 1 1/2 years before working with it and it didn't crack at all. Another small branch section I deliberately didn't cover the exposed ends just to see what would happen and that piece developed a crack at least 1/4" wide ...... WTF !

Maybe more information than you probably need to know about Lilac ...... LOL. Oh, as a side benefit when carving Lilac one gets the smell of Lilac blossoms although the nice smell goes away fairly soon.

It's difficult to show the whole stick in the wide shots and show the details of the sculpting at the same time.

Angled shots help to show details but the perspective does distort the dimensions making what is close to the camera look a lot bigger and what is away from the camera looks sort of too small.

Keep in mind the proportion of the wide shots taken at 90° where there is the least distortion and sort of average out from all the other pics.

The sculpture is different all around the stick so I tried to show you the stick on every side.

I left the stick very thick in cross section and the pic showing it with a previous stick helps in getting an idea as to scale + the pics of my holding it. Wink Big Grin

Attachment: 104.25 KB
Stick24 01.JPG

Attachment: 132.54 KB
Stick24 02.JPG

Attachment: 100.43 KB
Stick24 03.JPG

Attachment: 78.11 KB
Stick24 04.JPG

Attachment: 32.15 KB
Stick24 05.JPG

Attachment: 79.73 KB
Stick24 07.JPG

Attachment: 73.64 KB
Stick24 08.JPG

Attachment: 66.97 KB
Stick24 09.JPG

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 18 Jan, 2016 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jan, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And as usual some more pics from different angles and with the stick in hand.

Attachment: 84.34 KB
Stick24 10.JPG

Attachment: 101.17 KB
Stick24 11.JPG

Attachment: 113.94 KB
Stick24 12.JPG

Attachment: 88.97 KB
Stick24 13.JPG

Attachment: 78.84 KB
Stick24 14.JPG

Attachment: 86.39 KB
Stick24 15.JPG

Attachment: 90.33 KB
Stick24 16.JPG

Attachment: 91.15 KB
Stick24 17.JPG

Mike O'Hara

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jan, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Lilac stick         Reply with quote

Hi Jean

a very attractive wood. Is the pale pink typical or is it the lighting?

regards
mike

MIke O'Hara
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jan, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Lilac stick         Reply with quote

Mike O'Hara wrote:
Hi Jean

a very attractive wood. Is the pale pink typical or is it the lighting?

regards
mike

I did put on some burgundy coloured stain on the wood but I rubbed/sanded most of it off, so some of the stain increased the contrast of the wood grain and may have made the wood slightly more pink.

If you look at the very top few inches of the stick I didn't put any of the stain there, so you can compare the colour there compared to the rest of the stick.

Oh, I also increased the contrast slightly when preparing the pics for attachment so that the pics would looks more like what the stick looks like: My pics where a little washed out so I needed to adjust the contrast.

The wood is very pale, info about Lilac here: http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identific...ods/lilac/

A short quote below from the full link above that also gives all the characteristics of the wood in greater detail.

Quote:
Color/Appearance: Colors can be variable depending on species. Sometimes seen with reddish or lavender color streaks throughout the heartwood.

NOTE: Again from the Data Base
Quote:
Janka Hardness: 2,350 lbf (10,440 N)*

This is about a little less than twice as hard as White Oak, so more than I mentioned originally.

So the residual stain, that I mostly sanded off, probably changed the colour only a little bit.

Oh, since I'm partially colour blind in the red/green range it might be more obvious to others. Confused Wink Laughing Out Loud

( By the way colour blindness can vary a great deal in degree, I can still see the difference between pure red and pure green but I can be confused by subtle colours and I mostly have trouble seeing the difference between green and brown in certain shades ).

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So a two for one post.

Here are the two recent sticks, the first being Lilac with the nails as decorative mostly but adding some texture and gripping to the handle.

The second is the one using the maple branch, leaving on the bark this time and with the Cocobolo head.

All pretty self-explaining in the pics.

I still like to make more complex sticks but I also really like making a simple stick when I find an interesting branch.

The Lilac is again from some branch trimming from my back yard, the maple ( I think it's maple ? ) came from found branches on the sidewalk when the city did some tree cutting or branches broke off after a storm.

Because 90% of our trees on Montreal streets or in our parks are either maple or ash the branch is probably maple or ash: I don't remember for sure but when I found the branch it might still have had leaves attached to it and it was probably maple.

Unfortunately the city has had to cut down many ash trees because of the Emerald Ash Borer so I occasionally come across some branches before the city comes back to clean up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_ash_borer

Attachment: 96.42 KB
Stick25&26 01.JPG
The two sticks next to each other. The pale one is lilac.

Attachment: 125.6 KB
Stick25&26 02.JPG

Attachment: 131.75 KB
Stick25&26 03.JPG

Attachment: 140.15 KB
Stick25&26 04.JPG
The other side of the sticks, the lilac branch looks very different depending on side shown.

Attachment: 105.33 KB
Stick25&26 05.JPG
Close up of cocobolo head. I cut a hole in the cocobolo to insert the branch into.

Attachment: 149.47 KB
Stick25&26 06JPG.JPG
Lilac seen from another angle.

Attachment: 83.61 KB
Stick25&26 07.JPG
The usual steel butt.

Attachment: 78.18 KB
Stick25&26 08.JPG
Shown in hand for scale.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And a few more pics of the sticks. The sticks finished with the usual boiled linseed oil.

I used a dremel to cut an " X " into the tip of the steel butt and widened the cuts using a triangular file.

The cocobolo stick is much lighter than most of my sticks and is fast and lively in the hand, and the cocobolo is now glass smooth.

Attachment: 65.63 KB
Stick25&26 09.JPG
File cut X in the tip to improve traction without using a rubber cane tip

Attachment: 70.55 KB
Stick25&26 10.JPG
Cocobolo stick in hand.

Attachment: 74.83 KB
Stick25&26 11.JPG
Another angle shoing the nice colours and grain.

Attachment: 74.02 KB
Stick25&26 12.JPG
Diameter of the stick near the head is about 1 1/8"

Attachment: 76.08 KB
Stick25&26 13.JPG
Top view of cocobolo head.

Gregg Sobocinski

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always enjoy seeing your walking stick designs, Jean! Especially after looking at what's for sale online. Your designs are so much more elegant, purposeful-looking, and organic. Thanks for sharing!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregg Sobocinski wrote:
I always enjoy seeing your walking stick designs, Jean! Especially after looking at what's for sale online. Your designs are so much more elegant, purposeful-looking, and organic. Thanks for sharing!

Well thanks, I really appreciate the nice words.

Without judging everything walking stick made out there most of what I see that is available commercially seems very unimaginative, or very much a walking aid for people who need a stick or cane to walk, and I see little I find to my liking.

( NOTE: Traditional sticks can be very aesthetically pleasing, so not all are " boring " ).

There are some traditional makers of shillelagh using traditional methods and materials that do look appealing to me.

Here is an interesting site, although I have no experience ordering from them, they seem to make some very nice traditional sticks.

http://www.oldeshillelagh.com/store

I sort of look at making sticks as design and sculpture, I also basically make something to please myself as ideas for sticks come to me, and depending on materials I buy or find.

Many of my stick would be too heavy for most people's taste or comfort level like the bronze headed one that weighs close to 4 1/2 pounds. The most recent stick is a much more manageable 1 1/4 pounds that most people wouldn't find tiring to use: I got very used to carrying a heavy stick so it doesn't bother me, but if I was making sticks for other people I would have to factor in weigh maximums.

When I have made a stick for someone as a gift, I kept the weights under 2 1/2 pounds in most cases, but with the bronze headed canes I gave to a few friends they weighed the same as the ones I made for myself .... but they seemed to like them .

Gregg Sobocinski

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting and useful information. Something for potential hobbyists to consider.
Keep up the good work on those artistic and functional sticks!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I made a new walking stick for Marc, the boyfriend of my cousin.

Below a few pics of the new stick using African Blackwood for the handle and Macassar Ebony for the cane shaft, I added a stainless steel reinforcement at the tip of the cane handle to protect it from damage if one drops it on the tip.

( This stick is a lot lighter than the ones I usually make for myself, and it's a little shorter to custom fit Marc height ).

I bought some cheap stainless steel spoons that I can " repurpose " and grind to shape for tips or tops of walking sticks: An easy source of rounded shaped steel.

If I want larger pieces there are stainless steel bowls that could be cut to any needed shape.

The top of the handle has been carved with repeating " M " grooves for Marc's name: This is just a subtle use of his first's name initial in addition to giving a better grip on the very polished handle that feels like glass.

By the way " African Blackwood " is one off the hardest wood in the World and is very hard and slow to carve with a knife, so as usual, I mostly use rasps and files to carve in grooves in the harder woods.

http://www.wood-database.com/african-blackwood/

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/top-ten-hardest-woods/

Attachment: 102.95 KB
Stick29 01.JPG

Attachment: 153.19 KB
Stick29 02.JPG

Attachment: 85.98 KB
Stick29 03.JPG

Attachment: 104.23 KB
Stick29 05.JPG

Attachment: 82.17 KB
Stick29 06.JPG

Attachment: 90.18 KB
Stick29 07.JPG

Attachment: 84.07 KB
Stick29 09.JPG

Attachment: 70.66 KB
Stick29 11.JPG

John Hardy

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Below a few pics of the new stick using African Blackwood for the handle and Macassar Ebony for the cane shaft, I added a stainless steel reinforcement at the tip of the cane handle to protect it from damage if one drops it on the tip.

( This stick is a lot lighter than the ones I usually make for myself, and it's a little shorter to custom fit Marc height ).

I bought some cheap stainless steel spoons that I can " repurpose " and grind to shape for tips or tops of walking sticks: An easy source of rounded shaped steel.

If I want larger pieces there are stainless steel bowls that could be cut to any needed shape.

The top of the handle has been carved with repeating " M " grooves for Marc's name: This is just a subtle use of his first's name initial in addition to giving a better grip on the very polished handle that feels like glass.

By the way " African Blackwood " is one off the hardest wood in the World and is very hard and slow to carve with a knife, so as usual, I mostly use rasps and files to carve in grooves in the harder woods.

Beautiful work. That's a clever idea repurposing the spoon that way.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Hardy wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Beautiful work. That's a clever idea repurposing the spoon that way.

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. If one looks around in hardware stores or other types of stores ( Dollar Store ) with some imagination, one can repurpose a variety of objects for different projects.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I missed that last one! Really nice work, Jean.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 27 May, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've recently gone on a spoon buying spree. Any time I see them, or other kitchen goodies, for sale in garage sales or flea markets, I buy 'em up. Wink I'm going to attempt---I say 'attempt'---to make a pair of articulated gauntlets based off of a pair of welding gloves...and spoons. Laughing Out Loud We'll see how it turns out. Laughing Out Loud ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Jean, being a long-time admirer of your walking sticks projects, I´m posting some of my own. Some are older ones, two of them were finished only recently. They´re much simpler than your designs though.

Left to right: Downy willow, cherry treen, mulberry, black thorn, crab tree, dogrose

King of the Hill for Mr Underhill (mulberry)

Gramr (crab tree)

Nasty one (black thorn)

Brian Kent

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice work! I’ve seen a few DIY cane projects here and there, they always impress me. It’s one of those bucket list projects I have when I get the time.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Radovan Geist"]Dear Jean, being a long-time admirer of your walking sticks projects, I´m posting some of my own. Some are older ones, two of them were finished only recently. They´re much simpler than your designs though.

Thanks for the compliments about my walking stick, it's appreciated.

Nice sticks, I also like using natural sticks and sometimes doing minimal work on them save shaping the head depending on what the head looks like.

With a head that can be used with little to no work that happens to have a nice organic shape I would leave it as found.

In one case of a recent stick, that I haven't yet posted to this thread, the stick was from a Lilac tree branch that someone had cut down with a smaller diameter branch coming out of a larger branch. I cut the excess of the bigger diameter branch and then turned that part into a ball rounded shape at the cuts leaving much to the natural shape of the branch.

The smaller branch that was growing out of the large branch became the stick part of the walking stick making it look somewhat like a Shillelagh.

The only thing I might suggest for your sticks would be adding a copper tip to the sticks using plumbing copper end caps.
Might also use boiled linseed oil to preserve the wood and show of the wood grain.

From the pics it's hard to tell if you used linseed oil or some other finish ?

Nice sculpting on the Mulberry stick reminds me of some Viking Chess pieces.
The Blackthorn stick has a very interesting natural head and the type of natural head best left alone as nature made it.
The crab Tree has a nice bend at the top.

I have a backlog of sticks that I haven't taken pics of maybe another half a dozen sticks or so ….. The more I get behind taking pics the worse it gets because the set-up for doing the photography of all of the sticks, transferring the pics to my old iMac and then transferring the pics to my new MacBook Air …… Lazy about it I guess as the time it would take might be a whole day ….. Transferring the pics and sorting them out into created new folders, renaming the files etc ……

Maybe I could do a group pic like you did and show a lot of the stick creating fewer pics ..... Wink

Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Jean, thank you for your advice on using oil to preserve wood. For my projects I´m using shoemaker´s wax (most of those walking sticks shown here) or a vegetable oil mixed with ash powder, when I want to darken the wood (used on the willow one). I have not applied anything on the dogrose wood yet - I´m waiting till it dries out completely and gets darker. In my experience, after one year it gets really nice brown colour - we shall see:)

I will probably add metal tips on some of these sticks, it would be a shame if the wood splits.

Please, do post your more recent projects.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 23 Apr, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Radovan Geist wrote:
Dear Jean, thank you for your advice on using oil to preserve wood. For my projects I´m using shoemaker´s wax (most of those walking sticks shown here) or a vegetable oil mixed with ash powder, when I want to darken the wood (used on the willow one). I have not applied anything on the dogrose wood yet - I´m waiting till it dries out completely and gets darker. In my experience, after one year it gets really nice brown colour - we shall see:)

I will probably add metal tips on some of these sticks, it would be a shame if the wood splits.

Please, do post your more recent projects.

For the oil I usually cover the stick with a coating of boiled linseed oil ( Not raw linseed oil that will take an eternity drying ).

1) Let it soak in for an hour or so, and then wipe off the excess.
2) Hand rub it into the wood.
3) Repeat every day for a week or two.

The stick even after being oiled can still be handled after the excess oil is rubbed off and the remaining oil has penetrated the wood, over weeks the finish should become a nice satin finish. Once every month one can do another application of oil and again rubbing it into the wood by hand.

If the surface gets scuffed or dulled by rain if taken outdoors one can refresh the finish if and when needed.

The finish should be decent after the first week or two.

One nice thing about this finish is that it isn't a surface finish as the oil penetrates into the wood grain, the finish may darken over time, but I personally like this.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Walking stickDIY Project
Page 6 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: