Looking for a sword specimen
Hello. Has anybody seen a sword replica or a museum artifact that looks exactly like the one on the picture attached below? Swords like this one were supposedly made in the 1540s. Some would say that it's a katzbalger with a complex hilt.

[ Linked Image ]

Attachment: 141.89 KB
[ Download ]
You might try DelTin...they make several models very similar to that. :) ....McM
Mark Moore wrote:
You might try DelTin...they make several models very similar to that. :) ....McM

They do?
I was just perusing KoA, and they have one that looks pretty close. I would link to it, but I still have yet to figure out how. :blush: ...McM
At first look, I thought it was a side-sword, but maybe it's not. Seeing the pommel would help and also knowing if the illustration is German, English or Italian.

I'm having a hard time making out exactly what this sword is based on the drawing's perspective, but I suppose it could be a complex-hilted katzbalger.

Attached is a poor photo of one at roughly the same angle.

Attachment: 201.96 KB
complex_hilted_katzbalger.jpg

Mark Moore wrote:
I was just perusing KoA, and they have one that looks pretty close. I would link to it, but I still have yet to figure out how. :blush: ...McM

I've told you how to post links before. You literally just copy and paste the URL into the post. There's no other magic to it.

Such as: http://kultofathena.com/

You can do more complicated linking as described in our INFO Pages but you don't have to if you don't want to.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
At first look, I thought it was a side-sword, but maybe it's not. Seeing the pommel would help and also knowing if the illustration is German, English or Italian.

I'm having a hard time making out exactly what this sword is based on the drawing's perspective, but I suppose it could be a complex-hilted katzbalger.

Attached is a poor photo of one at roughly the same angle.

The woodcut itself is German. The pommel is concealed by the arm of the horseman, but it might be star shaped or round. My colleagues say that it is a complex hilt katzbalger or similar german sword.
Mark Moore wrote:

Armory Marek makes similar styled swords.
Alexander Sushko wrote:
The woodcut itself is German. The pommel is concealed by the arm of the horseman, but it might be star shaped or round. My colleagues say that it is a complex hilt katzbalger or similar german sword.

Okay. In that case, several complex-hilted katzbalgers can be found in our Landsknecht Edged Weaponry Album on Facebook.

You might be interested to see my own Landsknecht Sword Reproduction or read additional info about it in our discussion topic. It remains one of my absolute favorite swords in my collection.

Attached are a couple other examples with large finals on the S-shaped quillons that might be more similar to the German woodcut above.

Attachment: 119.97 KB
katz.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: