Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ohio Sword Collector Get Together? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Ohio Sword Collector Get Together?         Reply with quote

I know there are supposed to be some roundtables this spring in Cincy, and I know its almost spring in Cincy, but it has become a something of a tradition for at least one Ohio gathering to happen in the cold months. I'm not sure what is going on with everyone else and I would like to catch up and see how everyone is doing. I have nothing new to show, but I would love to live vicariously through other people's purchases!!

Would anybody be interested in a sword collector/practioner get together or something off season? Test cutting is probably out, but good conversation and great swords are nothing to sneeze at.

So what say you?

Yes?

No?

Maybe?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Hello?         Reply with quote

Chad, Nathan, Mark, David?

Anybody?

Do I have virtual bad breath or something?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Doug Gardner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

I really don't have much to contribute to a meeting, but I'd certainly enjoy learning from those who do. Big Grin

I'm in Oxford, not too far from Cincinnati.

--Doug G
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello?         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Chad, Nathan, Mark, David?

Anybody?

Do I have virtual bad breath or something?

Just had to get some computer time---no virtual bad breath or BO either Razz

I would be in for another get-together sometime before the warm weather gets here.

Like you though, don't have really anything new to show. There are 2 swords in the pipeline, and I thought to have an alternating rivetted/solid maille shirt to show off, but you know how these things go.

I wouldn't mind just getting the gang together, and I know that there are 2-3 Ohio area people who have as yet beeb unable to make one of these, like Mr. Gardner (Hi Doug! Happy )

Anybody else up for it?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm up for it, though I, too, don't have anything new to show off.

Columbus is cool, or Cincy. If Cincy, we might me able to attract more Indiana folks. If Columbus, more PA and northeast Ohioans....

I may have something new in a few weeks, but nothing too exciting.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guess I can't say I have nothing new, the Regent has a scabbard now. WTF?!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

Nifty. Who did the scabbard?

Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

Nifty. Who did the scabbard?

Christian Fletcher.

One of the last ones, if not the last one, he did before he started restricting things.

Took longer than expected but worth the wait.

Last edited by Joe Fults on Fri 04 Feb, 2005 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds good. Depending on when and where I might be able to make it. Things are more than a bit crazy right now. I have a new baby (three weeks old) so I've got my hands full and am suffering a ridiculous amount of sleep deprivation.

As for any new toys, nothing since my A&A GBS of last fall. More than happy to share it. I am getting ready to purchase a new piece in the next few weeks, however. I am leaning towards an Albion Regent and, ironically Joe, was thinking of having Christian Fletcher make the scabbard and belt rigging. Any pics of yours that might inspire me?
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
Sounds good. Depending on when and where I might be able to make it. Things are more than a bit crazy right now. I have a new baby (three weeks old) so I've got my hands full and am suffering a ridiculous amount of sleep deprivation.

As for any new toys, nothing since my A&A GBS of last fall. More than happy to share it. I am getting ready to purchase a new piece in the next few weeks, however. I am leaning towards an Albion Regent and, ironically Joe, was thinking of having Christian Fletcher make the scabbard and belt rigging. Any pics of yours that might inspire me?

Mark,

I have his standard Longsword rig in Black but I have not taken photos yet. One thing to remember, unless his policy has changed recently, you will have to buy the sword from him to get him to make the scabbard for it.

Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing to remember, unless his policy has changed recently, you will have to buy the sword from him to get him to make the scabbard for it.

Yeah, he's had that policy for a while now. Was there any problem with conducting the transaction in that way?
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
Quote:
One thing to remember, unless his policy has changed recently, you will have to buy the sword from him to get him to make the scabbard for it.

Yeah, he's had that policy for a while now. Was there any problem with conducting the transaction in that way?

I did not do it that way, although I'm pretty sure he can get a Regent for you.

Mine was ordered well before the restriction was in place. Just took me forever to get the sword to him, which then meant it was way at the back of his work list, so it took a bit longer for it to come back than previous purchases did. If you can't get something from CF, the Albion scabbards look great. I'd love to have one but I just can't afford one right now.

Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So it sounds like we have at least a couple of people willingt o get together.

Any ideas on time-frame?

Also, are looking toward Columbus or Cincy? We could maybe even do Indianapolis, maybe David knows a place there?

????
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For me, it would really depend on which weekend is chosen. My schedule is pretty goofy, and I often have to work weekends. March is wide open expect for the second weekend.

If there isn't much in the way of new stuff to share, maybe I can talk Mike into sending down a small care package.....

Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Bell wrote:
So it sounds like we have at least a couple of people willingt o get together.

Any ideas on time-frame?

Also, are looking toward Columbus or Cincy? We could maybe even do Indianapolis, maybe David knows a place there?

????

Looking the thread over, I'm guessing Cincy since that seem to be where most of the interest is. Jeff Ellis is the only person to reply over at SFI and he is in Ada so either place is probably a wash for him.

Chad, can meet at your place?

If not, Nathan, how about your place?

I am busy next weekend, but open after that throught the end of March. I figure if we end up in April, everyone might want to just stick with the spring round table. Doug, Mark, Chad, Nathan any particular Saturday or Sunday work best for you in the next 4-6 weeks? feb 19/20, 26/27, Mar 5/6, 12/13, 19/20, 26/27

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
For me, it would really depend on which weekend is chosen. My schedule is pretty goofy, and I often have to work weekends. March is wide open expect for the second weekend.

If there isn't much in the way of new stuff to share, maybe I can talk Mike into sending down a small care package.....

Chad, I'm already ahead of you on the care package. I talked to Mike Sigman Tursday or Friday and he does not have anything he can send for show and tell right now. If we want him to send something, or if we want this to become a round table, we have to let him know so that there is a chance he can get something together. He did tell me that since I'm not in the Guild, if he sends me stuff you get the credit and I get the responsibility of caring for the care package. Sweet deal for you huh?

Anyway, I get the feeling it may be a scramble unless we can give him some time, so maybe 3/19 if we want a care package?

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Looking the thread over, I'm guessing Cincy since that seem to be where most of the interest is. Jeff Ellis is the only person to reply over at SFI and he is in Ada so either place is probably a wash for him.

Chad, can meet at your place?

If not, Nathan, how about your place?

I am busy next weekend, but open after that throught the end of March. I figure if we end up in April, everyone might want to just stick with the spring round table. Doug, Mark, chad, Nathan any particular Saturday or Sunday work best for you in the next 4-6 weeks? feb 19/20, 26/27, Mar 5/6, 12/13, 19/20, 26/27

As a final note , I talked to Mike Sigman Tursday or Friday and he does not have anything he can send for show and tell right now. If we want him to send something, or if we want this to become a round table, we have to let him know so that there is a chance he can get something together. I get the feeling it may be a scramble unless we can give him some time.

Are we talking Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays? Most of my Sundays are open but not all Saturdays. When Saturday isn't open for me, neither is Friday (my orchestra has Friday/Saturday night concerts).

2/19-2/20 - bad
2/26/2/27 - Sat. good before 5 pm. Sunday good
3/5-3/6 - all good
3/12-3/13 - Sat. good before 5 pm. Sunday good
3/19-3/20 - all good
3/26/3/27 - all good right now, but we may go out of town for Easter

We might be able to do it here at the house, but I'd have to run it by management (my wife).

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Chad, I'm already ahead of you on the care package. I talked to Mike Sigman Tursday or Friday and he does not have anything he can send for show and tell right now. If we want him to send something, or if we want this to become a round table, we have to let him know so that there is a chance he can get something together. He did tell me that since I'm not in the Guild, if he sends me stuff you get the credit and I get the responsibility of caring for the care package. Sweet deal for you huh?

Anyway, I get the feeling it may be a scramble unless we can give him some time, so maybe 3/19 if we want a care package?

I was thinking it could be a primarily non-cutting Round Table. If it ends up being in March, though, it may be nice enough to do some cutting.

How about this? Let's find a weekend good for everybody first, then I'll see if I can host it the party here. If I host it, I'll probably make it a Round Table (why the hell not?).

Happy

ChadA

Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course I sure don't mind if it's in Cincy Big Grin

I will check out the dates with Da Boss, as well. I don't know of any conflicts, the main thing is working around our baby.

Don't know at this point if the Boss and Lord Logan can absent themselves, or how to work that if they can't.

Generally, I think Saturday afternoons or perhaps Sunday afternoons are best to give people driving time....

I can do almost any of those Saturdays or Sundays, I think. We do have play tickets on a couple of those Fridays, though. Otherwise, no objections to Fri's either.

Any input from other folk?

N
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only BAD days for me

2/11---no
2/12---no
3/11---no
4/29--no

Otherwise, our weekends are free, and I have been OK'ed to have people over. We will just work out baby details as needed.

If Chad prefers to host, I won't object. So I guess it does not matter to me where, and the only bad days for us listed above.

I guess the only caveat is if at my house we would have to go alcohol-free, if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

N

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ohio Sword Collector Get Together?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: