Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Norman maces
Hello, I'm new here, so I hope I'm doing this right!

Anyway, I have a question. Would a Norman/early medieval mace (a knobbed mace, much like the maces made by the "English cutler" or "Tod's stuff") be effective (by this I mean could you puncture armour or seriously injure the wearer, or would only a flanged mace be effective) against any of the following-

- A 14th century knight/man at arms (in plate armour or a coat of plates with a bascinet or Sallet or other comparable helmet)
-A 15 century knight/man at arms (in full plate armour or a coat of plates, with a Sallet or other suitable helmet)
And
-A 16th century knight or man at arms? ( A fully plate armoured "white armour" knight, with an aramet or similar helmet)

I know the examples of armours for each of the above eras are not completely accurate, but it's just to give you a general idea. And I would imagine all of you would know what armour each would be wearing anyway. :)

Last edited by J. Douglas on Sat 11 Mar, 2017 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
I would think that either a knobbed or flanged mace would be equally effective, as the purpose of either one is to deliver a percussive blow---not really so much as to actually *puncture* the armor. A spiked mace, however... :eek: ....McM
Mark Moore wrote:
I would think that either a knobbed or flanged mace would be equally effective, as the purpose of either one is to deliver a percussive blow---not really so much as to actually *puncture* the armor. A spiked mace, however... :eek: ....McM

Okay, thank you! I just wasn't sure. :D

Last edited by J. Douglas on Sat 11 Mar, 2017 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
I will admit, however, that a flanged mace would probably come closer to a puncture than a knobbed version...in my opinion. :) ...McM
Mark Moore wrote:
I will admit, however, that a flanged mace would probably come closer to a puncture than a knobbed version...in my opinion. :) ...McM

That's probably true, I guess they wouldn't have been developed otherwise.

But, then again, if I thump you over the head with a lump of bronze or iron on the end of a stick I think it will hurt even if it dosent penetrate the armour. :eek:

Last edited by J. Douglas on Sat 11 Mar, 2017 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Well....I hope you don't do THAT! All of my helmets are only 18 ga. :lol: .....McM
Mark Moore wrote:
Well....I hope you don't do THAT! All of my helmets are only 18 ga. :lol: .....McM

:lol:

Don't worry. I won't. I have to raise the money to buy a mace first. :cry:
Not a mace...a flail....but THIS is my armor-buster. This thing scares the crap out of me. :eek: :lol: :lol: ....McM

Attachment: 41.24 KB
WIN_20170311_12_05_55_Pro.jpg

Mark Moore wrote:
Not a mace...a flail....but THIS is my armor-buster. This thing scares the crap out of me. :eek: :lol: :lol: ....McM

:wtf:

You can have my money!

:lol:

That is a very ferocious looking weapon!

Out of curiosity, where do you/where would you store this in a real battle? I know maces and axes would be hung from the belt. but how about your flail?
On a similar note, would this be a ceremonial Item, or could it still be used to "bash someone in"?

Attachment: 26 KB
image.jpeg

Last edited by J. Douglas on Sat 11 Mar, 2017 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
I don't think this particular flail has much historical precedence....I bought it purely for the "Holy Crap!'' factor. As far as storage...I can't really think of a 'safe' place to put it in a real battle. Maybe in the back of a war-wagon along with spears, two-handed weapons, etc. I, personally, keep it in my 'man-cave' with the door locked. ;) I don't think my wife would like it displayed on the mantle. :lol: ....McM
Mark Moore wrote:
I don't think this particular flail has much historical precedence....I bought it purely for the "Holy Crap!'' factor. As far as storage...I can't really think of a 'safe' place to put it in a real battle. Maybe in the back of a war-wagon along with spears, two-handed weapons, etc. I, personally, keep it in my 'man-cave' with the door locked. ;) I don't think my wife would like it displayed on the mantle. :lol: ....McM

Well, if I were you I'd hang it on the mantle when the in-laws (or any un-wanted visitor) arrvie :lol:

Yeh, I think the "holy crap!" Factor would make we want to buy that to. :) It does look absolutely terrifiyng! :wtf:
As far as the photo you posted, it looks like bronze(?) but I would think it quite capable of ruining someone's day...fast. ;) ...McM
Mark Moore wrote:
As far as the photo you posted, it looks like bronze(?) but I would think it quite capable of ruining someone's day...fast. ;) ...McM

Oh, I forgot to say!

It is a Tod's stuff mace, bronze, and I think it was dated from the 11th-13th century.

And yes. I do imagine it would give you a rather sever headache...... :eek:
Of course, if you just want to piss someone off.... :lol: :lol: :lol: .....McM

Attachment: 44.96 KB
WIN_20170311_12_47_52_Pro.jpg

Mark Moore wrote:
Of course, if you just want to piss someone off.... :lol: :lol: :lol: .....McM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tickle'im't'death?
Sorry to get off-topic. :) .....McM
Yeah, sorry about that.

Also. A random note about the face-mace.

I had an ancestor, called James Douglas the black, he was a freind of Robert the Bruce.

His symbol was the heart (there is a long story behind this) I read somewhere that one of his descendants used a heart-shaped mace in battle. I didn't check the sources of this claim at the time, and I have no idea where I read that info from. But I wonder- Could you there tills make a mace out of any shape? I just don't see how useful a heart shaped mace would be, though. :(
Here you can see the benefit of a flanged-head over a knobbed. Possibly a bit more damaging. Either way, someone on the receiving end is NOT gonna be a happy camper. :D ....McM

Attachment: 44.88 KB
WIN_20170311_13_10_50_Pro.jpg

As far as the shape goes, a heart-shape would be just as effective as any other, in my opinion. A mace, when it all boils down, is pretty much just a weighted club. That's interesting to hear about your ancestry!.....McM
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: