Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your next sword you can't afford but will buy anyway Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Your next sword you can't afford but will buy anyway         Reply with quote

So how many of you are seriously thinking about buying another sword when your better judgement is screaming WAIT at least a month !

And what is it?

This is my excuse to mention the A&A 15th century Two Hander I am mulling over buying, anybody out there personnally familiar with it.

It looks really big: Like the Albion Castellan on steroids!

I have two Albion swords but no A&A swords at this time: Although I do have their Poleaxe and their 12th century spear and the large Viking spear that I am happy with..

I am NOT looking for any good reasons to NOT buy it, since as any good sword addict I really don't want someone talking me out of it ..... LOL.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I highly suggest the A&A 15th century two-hander if you're in the market for a sword of those proportions. I was shocked at how maneuverable the sword is, despite its large size. Further, the detail of both proportion and "volume" of the parts is exceptional. It's quite the sword and I'd be eager to hear your reports.

I have a dozen swords on my list of "if I could buy this, then I would". But right now, the bills have to come first.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That one has always been on my short list as well. For whatever reason it always gets shoved aside for something else. However, I do love that one and hope to own one someday.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, Patrick;

Well that was fast!

O.K. when I E-Mailled Craig yesterday asking for a few more details about the sword I mentionned at 60% to 75% the odds that my questions would lead to making the order official.

Well, I guess the odds have increased to 99% now!

Just have to wait for his reply to MAKE IT SO! ( As captain Pickard would say ..... LOL. )

I'm thinking of having the pommel in bronze but keeping the guard in steel like my Sovereign.
And I was wondering about the stiffness of the blade in comparison to my Del Tin 2162 Venecian Twohander which I find a little whippy! Although I think the 2162 is a dedicated cutter with minimal thrusting ability. ( At least not effective against armour if used that way.) The A&A does seem to have, at least in the pictures, a much stiffer blade that might be effectively halfsworded although bigger than most used this way. ( Mostly 1 1/2 Handers.)

Just my impressions taking into consideration my total lack of practical training.

Oh, and I have to give credit / blame to Gordon Frye for putting the idea into my head after his happy acquisition of a Dresden Rapier to see what I would like from A&A. ( The Cavalier Rapier is also on my drool list.) ( Next year maybe. )

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I konw the choice of steel/bronze is totally a personal preference, but for what it's worth, I'd totally stick with an all-steel construction. I'm not sure I've seen a two-hander of the era with a mixed-metal combination. But more importantly, that sword is based on a sword at the Wallace and it's just damn cool to have it as close to that historical inspiration as possible Happy

That's only my two cents though.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those who haven't seen it, here is the original on which the A&A replica is based:

Click photo for larger version

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan;

Point taken: All steel it is then, anyway I'm still at the stage of the order were I can easily ask Craig to forget about the bronze pommel idea.

Thanks, for the imput: With a reproduction of an actual sword as opposed to a sword type, staying as close to the original as possible is probably the best way to go.

Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean;

Sweet looking sword! I concur on the all steel construction, might as well go with the original materials! I would suspect that the slight, but never the less present, weight differences between the steel and bronze would have some effect (though probably pretty minor) on the ultimate handling characteristics of the sword. So go with the Steel, I vote (with your money, please note! Big Grin )

Anyway, I refuse to take the blame/credit for this one! The fact that I've been crowing and bragging about the Dresden from hell to breakfast isn't a valid excuse to go blow money on some other product from A&A... though I suppose that even a poor excuse is better than NO excuse, when it comes to acquiring new, EXTRA cool toys! Cool

Take care, and glad to be of "help", LOL!

And yes, we need a FULL report when you get it!

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Next on my list is a complex-hilted cut and thrust or saber. Trouble is, the only complex 1.5 hander I've found that is complex enough AND accurate enough is the Armor Class one and I'm not really thrilled with it (pommel = Worried ). I love Nathan's complex hand and a half by Eric Stevenson (Phoenix MC) but that's out of budget (and the question right Nathan? Wink Big Grin ). As far as sabers... there aren't any that jump out at me. I can't seem to find any that aren't Cold Steel ( Question ) or custom. I'd like one cavalry-ish or maybe a Patton pattern one.

Any suggestions?

I may just have to go with a smallsword or rapier (oh, misery Razz Big Grin Laughing Out Loud ) but I'd planned to wait a while on those.

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate;

Not sure if this is what you are looking for or if the hilt is complex enough but the Albion German Bastard II looks as if it might be worth getting when they become available.

Want to see what it will finally look like when the first ones are produced: The concept drawings, although well done, always seem less interesting than the photos of the finished product. So far every one of the next generation swords has exceded expectations when they have become a reality. ( At least in my opinion. )

Konstantin Tsvetkov

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Your next sword you can't afford but will buy anyway         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
So how many of you are seriously thinking about buying another sword when your better judgement is screaming WAIT at least a month !

And what is it?

I am NOT looking for any good reasons to NOT buy it, since as any good sword addict I really don't want someone talking me out of it ..... LOL.

For me it became much easier to spent money on blades after I analyzed my expenses for several last years, and now it seems to me that swords collecting is probably the ONLY reasonable hobby. I have Just ordered A&A Katzbalger Dagger, just to see, how does it work with delivery and customs. If everything goes smooth, the next will be their Katzbalger sword. can I afford it? Probably I will skip something else. But quoting an infamous knight: "I know - it's only rok'n'roll, but I like it!"
Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Swords I'd order, budget be damned ....
1) Svante Nilsson Sture - only sword I ever seen that gets a universal "Holy S**t!" reaction from everyone who holds it
2) Solingen - the best handling single hander I've ever felt and the most aesthetically pleasing
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On Eljay's next year list for a custom shell-guard proto-mortuary...man I've got alot of scrap copper to be saving up....

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sword that I should have bought, budget be damned----I should have bought that light double-fullered La Tene blade from Peter this past October and had him hilt it up in late insular style mix. I should have found the way to make that work. Kicking myself for that still.

As it is, I am likely going to get a NextGen--high end Viking, Kern, or one of the Longswords.

Because credit card payment and/or "payment plan" means you don't *have* to be able to afford it right away Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The new Albion Talhoffer Big Grin
Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want a nice dagger.

Something in the can opener family.

Sword wise, maybe an Albion German I, German II, or Earl. Probably has to be the Earl since Mike asked me the other day if I saw "MY" sword when I called him. After bugging him to get something like that made for a long time I have to buy it.

Right?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A Christian Fletcher Writhen Hilt upgrade along with scabbard and belt. I'm not sure which blade I'd select for this process.

One of the two upcoming Albion German bastards.

Any Erik Stevenson, Phoenix Metal Creations sword that shows up on the market -especially a baskethilt or schiavona

I don't know if I'll ever get one from this list, but I'd sure like to.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well the deed is done and I made my order for the A&A Twohander official.

So I guess I lied, I Can afford it ! Only I really should slow down now before I really CAN'T ........ LOL.

I guess I could call this as unwise but not tragic overspending as I will still pay down my credit card bill at the end of the month in full as usual.

(Haven't paid a cent in credit card interest yet! )

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean

One of our members, Joel Whitmore, bought one of those A&A 15th century swords not too long back !
He posted some detail scans & comments about it in these two threads:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1220&highlight=

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1191&highlight=

You can't go wrong with an Arms & Armor product, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas;

Thanks for the link to that thread: Really good detail in those.

I wonder if Joel ever got around to doing a full review on it: Although the thread does seem to be fairly complete as far as information is concerned.

Well, I guess I am even happier now about ordering it!

I seem to remember reading that thread before and wouldn't be surprised if it influenced my decison subconsciously.

Funny how this can be cooking in the back of your mind for a whole year before the pot boils over ...... LOL. (PUN, PUN, PUN ..... Couldn't resist temptation to buy the sword and to Pun. )

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your next sword you can't afford but will buy anyway
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: