Quick Review: CS German Longsword.
I recently picked up a brand new, still-in-the-box, Cold Steel "German Longsword". Although I wasn't in the market for a Cold Steel product, I was unable to pass up the deal I got on this sword.
I was surfing a "we sell everything" site (Named for a famous S. American river... :cool: ) and the price seemed too good to be true. When I checked it out, all the facts jibed, so I bought it. As it turns out... Yes, it really was the genuine product... And also, Yes it was (almost) too good to be true. As it turns out, the price was mis-marked. As soon as I hit the "one click" button, the sale went through, but as soon as the sale went through, the description blinked and the price listed more than doubled. To their credit, the site sold me the sword at the super cheap price with an "Our goof was your luck" attitude and said that the only way they would ever have caught the mistake was when someone purchased it at their incorrect price... So, enjoy your sword!
As it turns out, this is a far better sword than I expected from Cold Steel. After a bit of research, I discovered that the C.S. version of this sword is virtually identical to the Dynasty Forge "Duellist" (Yes, they misspelled duelist) minus the side ring on the guard. I can't swear to it, but I'm told that these swords were made in China at Huanuo Forge, with the only difference being the presence of a side ring on the CS hilt.
Let me get on to the vital statistics...

Weight................... 3 lb. 5 oz.
Overall Length..... 46.1 inches
Blade Length....... 35.2 inches
Width @ Guard.... 1.6 inches
C.O.B. .................... 2.9 inches
Distal Taper .......... 6.8mm- 4.3mm
C.O.P. ..................... 17.5 inches from pt.
Grip Length ........... 7.9 inches
Guard width ........... 10.5 inches

My first impression right out of the box is that this a solid sword. The whole sword feels like it was built to battle, with a good heft but very reasonable control. The sword is handsome, but seems a bit over done with the strikingly curved guard and the addition of the side ring. Every bit of steel is mirror polished, with the exception of the inside of the guard ring.

Once I got the sword cleaned off and ready to cut, I couldn't help but feel that the sword was made with too much thought to ornamentation and not enough attention to use. For example, lefties will find the sword difficult to work with unless the sword is held with the ring placed on the inside of the grip, otherwise the down-turned quillon will dig right into the wrist and really hinder control. Likewise to the right handed fencer if the sword's strong edge is reversed. As it is, the guard might take some real getting used to in the bind. Though I haven't fenced with anything like this guard before, I really can't see any advantage to such an abrupt curve, but then again the edge would keep most from fencing with it. (I've trained with sharps, but only with the most trusted friends.)

As I said, the sword comes with a good edge and cut well on a single mat, but I only made a simple downward 45* cut (Zornhau), and nothing fancy. Although the cut was clean, the sword somehow felt a bit clumsy in spite of the tight center of balance and superior edge. The grip didn't vibrate, and I felt the cut pretty well, but maybe the hilt intimidated me a bit. Hopefully someone with more cutting skill will cut with this sword and have a better description.

I do plan on keeping this sword for a while, if only because it's a really nice looking wall hanger. Actually, when I get some more mats in I may really give this thing a good run and compare it to one of my preferred cutters like my old Kris Teutonic. War-sword.

Hope this gives at least an idea of the sword.

-Rick M.
Thanks for the review. I'm sure this is helpful for people looking for a budget longsword.
Re: Quick Review: CS German Longsword.
Richard Miller wrote:
Dynasty Forge "Duellist" (Yes, they misspelled duelist)

No, you misspelled duellist, you colonial scoundrel.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: