Western Mameluke hilt construction.
Hi,

I'm trying to find information about the hilt construction and tang shape of Western Mameluke sabers, but I'm coming up short. I'm primarily interested in the French versions, but all information is welcome.
Saw one hilt frame, but don't know whether it was British, American, or what. Basically a brass frame that will take a rectangular tang, have grip plates put on the side, and two rivets go through. From memory, there were brass pieces where the rivets would go through.

Some details of a somewhat different hilt, with a terminal screw thread, are to be found at http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.p...How-to-Fix
Thank you! I know many Middle Eastern ones have a full tang that goes down into the pommel but I suspected this might not always be the case with Western versions, considering the tang shapes on most Western blades. This might give some indication.
Do you remember if the guard was attached to the slotted brass?
I think the guard and frame were one piece. Long time ago that I saw it, though.

At least sometimes, the guard was a separate piece. But Western mameluke sabres don't usually have the wire wrapping that's very common on shamshirs/saifs with similar separate guards to keep them fixed to the hilt without moving, so one-piece might be usual Western practice.
Well that does leave me with some options then. Thank you!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: