Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Lutel sword question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christian Short

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Lutel sword question         Reply with quote

I'm relatively new to this and am wondering why I don't see more of these swords around. I've been to their site and they look like they're put together well. But I'd really like to hear from more experienced collectors.
Christian
Mark S

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've owned several Lutel swords, and I have nothing but praise for them. They are not as "perfect" cosmetically as an Albion, but that's just a matter of taste. I would put them in the same category as Arms & Armor. Beautiful hand-made swords with authentic character and accurate dimensions, weight, balance, etc. Highly recommended in my view, and obviously a lot of other people agree because their wait for a sword is now about 8 months! Hope this helps.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Lutel sword question         Reply with quote

Christian Short wrote:
I'm relatively new to this and am wondering why I don't see more of these swords around. I've been to their site and they look like they're put together well. But I'd really like to hear from more experienced collectors.

Part of the problem is that a couple years or so after they appeared, the owner of the website and the makers whose work he sold had a major difference, and they parted ways. Thus there are *two* Lutel websites, which has undoubtedly confused quite a few people. I believe the artisans' website is "Lutel.eu" rather than "lutel.com" which is the original one. The general recommendation is to purchase from Lutel.EU as customer service has been spotty from lutel.com and apparently he didn't treat the makers fairly...

For whatever it's worth, the pieces I have seen here that were purchase from Lutel (either one) seem to have been of reasonable quality, worth the money paid at least.
Guillaume Vauthier

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In fact, the "real" Lutel is Lutel-handicraft.com, not Lutel.eu.

I ordered various stuff at Lutel-handicraft: a rapier and dagger set (SB007 on their website), a custom sidesword (then added to their catalogue, no. 14020), and a rondel dagger (10001). The work is actually very nice, the finish is great, and it seems fairly good quality.
Actually the only defect I noted on the rapier was blade thickness. On original swords it is quite thick, like 8 or 9mm (about 0,30/0,35 inch), so the strong is quite stiff... and on the Lutel rapier the maximum blade thickness is 5mm (0,2 inch). As a result the blade is a little floppy and very flexible.

But if you want to begin a collection and not pay a thousand dollars for your first swords, you can go, that's valuable for the money, in my opinion!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sometimes you can find them in the after market. If the price is right they can be a great pickup. Pay attention to details in the photos. Shaping can matter for expectations with some of the items. Otherwise rugged and reliable products. More than a few that I've had and passed on that I would not mind still having!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guillaume Vauthier wrote:
In fact, the "real" Lutel is Lutel-handicraft.com, not Lutel.eu.

I ALWAYS mix those two up! Thanks for the the correction.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Lutel sword question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic