Germanic Spatha 2nd Century
Hello,

I have in plan for a future purchase a Germanic Spatha for the 2nd century. I have recently found this website and this Spatha.
I am not in anyway knowledgeable of detailed types of steel and I would humbly like to request advice from people here which are are extremely knowledgeable.

The type of fighting which I will subject it would be tap-fighting, eastern-style combat so it will very likely be hitting helmets, other weapons, shields and such and would like to know if based on the description and the metal type it will easily survive this. As far as I understand, springsteel is a flexible and resilient metal but I'd like some more info on the specified type in the link bellow.

Also, if the website itself has a bad reputation (I'm not saying it has so no disrespect to anyone here if they are associated with them) I would like to know so I do not waste my money.

http://astor-versand.eshop.t-online.de/German...Blunt-SK-B

The help would be supremely appreciated. I have been busting my brains for the past week trying to find sources for the weapon and a place to buy it.

Thank you,

Mihai
I am not familiar with that website, or the advertised maker. I would put my main concern with this particular sword in its hilt construction. It appears to be peened, and looks well made. But, the hilt is all-wood. For a sword used in blade-to-blade and blade-to-armor contact, this could wind up giving you problems in the long run---loosened parts and stress cracks. Many historic swords used all-wood construction, and were all capable of doing their jobs, no doubts there. But I'm also pretty sure they suffered the same problems eventually. Maybe someone else can chime in better than me. Good luck!......McM
Sorry....I didn't read far in enough. The hilt is wood-and-cow horn. But, the same problems could still arise. Sorry again...my bad for skimming the product description..........McM
Hello Popa Mihai. Like Mark, I don't know anything about this company. All I can tell you is that the steel used (EN45) is very commonly used for blunt reenactment blades. Also this style of spatha better represents a 6th century sword, rather than a sword of the 2nd century.
I see , so the wooden part would be a structural problem.. Understandbly so.

@Stephen Curtin

Could you perhaps recommend me a style of blade better suited for 2nd century? I have encountered this ''type'' of spatha on several sites and they always mentioned ''1st to 6th century''. It did quite bother me the huge time difference but I did find similar designs throughout the period.
Any other suggestion would be very much appreciated. Preferably with clear pictures of the hilt as well if possible.
gday,

I own one of these swords. It is made my Ulfberth and you can also buy it from Celtic webmerchant and viking shield

the sword will hold up to combat. i have been using mine in re-enactment combat for a few years now.

as previous people have said the guard and handle have wood components and does damage. My cross guard has cracked and a piece of wood broken off and the handle is no also loose. the handle is made up of a metal, horn and wood stacked together and glued but does not fit tight to the tang. so with use the handle pieces come unstuck from one another and you cannot really do anything about it.

when i purchased mine i think it cost me like $120 USD so for the price it is a good sword and has served me well. just be aware that the wood components will not hold up and become loose and break off.

other then that i think it is a great sword for re-enactment and if you are so inclined you can always (when the handle is loose and broken) grind the peen off and put in a solid metal top and bottom guard and make a 1 piece handle.

Cheers
Mick
Hello Mick,

Thanks for the info! That really helps a lot but can you tell me for what century it is? Like what type of reenactment are you doing?
As someone else specified earlier it would seem that the century for it would be a bit late and I might be looking for a 2nd century one.

Thank you,
no dramas mate.

i was say be the style and look of it that it would be arounf 5th - 7th century germanic. it is a very basic and generic design.

i do migration period Germanic (Alemannic) re -enactment

if you are after an earlier period germanic sword i would perhaps think about something like this one

https://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-germanic-cherusker.htm

one day i will own one of these, love the look of it
Hello again,

isn't that a bit too early?
I am going to be making a kit for 2nd century during the Dacian Wars and will play my role as a Germanic Auxiliary for the Roman army.
I think Roman Spathas could also work here.
Can you provide any information on this specific context?

Thank you!
would love to help mate, but that time period is a bit to early for me to be able to really be of much use.

but i think if it was a germanci person in the roman aux perhaps something more closer to the roman spathas of the time?
Yeah I think it would be ok + they'd also loot a lot of equipment so it would fit regardless if it were Auxiliary or not.

Perhaps something like this would be good.

https://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/decurio-photos.htm
that to me looks pretty good
Well as for 2nd century specifically, I'm not aware of any finds, but single edged blades, similar to the one that was linked by Mick, have been found in Vimose, which I believe have been dated to the 3rd century. As far as 2nd century spathae, as far as I know there wasn't yet a distinctive Germanic style. What spathae were being used by the Germanic tribes would have been acquired from the Romans.
You may want to look for something in the style of the Albion Decurio or Auxilla. They were inspired by swords depicted during the 1st to 3rd centuries, and their size and form were said to be inspired, at least in part, by the types of weapons preferred by the Germanic tribes recruited into the legions.

One of the common elements of both, though, is wooden hilt components. Many of the swords you find in this time frame would have used organic components rather than iron or bronze. That isn't necessarily a great thing if you will be regularly engaged in full-contact combat, but it is consistent with the actual weapons of the time.

I haven't done much searching for similar weapons, but if you use the terms "Roman spatha" and give the time frame, you may come up with similar weapons at a price more in the range you would like. I'm linking the Albion offerings, and also a Kult of Athena Deepaka offering that is similar to the Decurio in form an size. It claims to be battle ready for under $100. I know nothing about its quality, though, so you may want to inquire.

https://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-roman-decurio-spatha.htm
https://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-roman-auxilia-spatha.htm
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...m+Gladius+
KoA also has a 'Feltwell' sword in the 'new additions' section.....fairly similar to the sword in question. It fits the time range, and the price is RIGHT. ;) ..........McM
Well, maybe not so much the time range, but the general looks. :) Pretty nice little sword for the price. :) .....McM
I'm not sure how much you want to spend on this sword. Deepeeka might be the place to look. While most of their stuff is not considered good quality, their Roman swords are fairly well regarded. Look here at Kult of Athena for a list of spathae. You might want to look at the Del Tin there as well - DT2040, though it is unsharpened, not blunt.

http://kultofathena.com/s_results.asp?search=...mit=Search
Mark Moore wrote:
KoA also has a 'Feltwell' sword in the 'new additions' section.....fairly similar to the sword in question. It fits the time range, and the price is RIGHT. ;) ..........McM

haha i also have only a few months ago purchased this sword.

once again it is a great blade and will serve me well. only problem with it i can see is the all wood guard handle and rear guard.

i am expecting this to break really soon and then re hilt the sword with some metal fittings.

also the feltwell sword comes with a really good scabbard

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: