Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Witham sword recreation from Kevin CashenProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joss Delage

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Witham sword recreation from Kevin Cashen         Reply with quote

So, I've been pretty quiet for the last few years, for a variety of reasons. However, I have remained interested in the field of custom knives and edged artifacts. Recently my interest in Western-style swords has come to the forefront. When Kevin told me last May he might have a spot available I took advantage of the opportunity to discuss a sword commission. As I have very little in my collection in terms of Western swords, I was pretty open minded, which is sometimes the best situation to be in when discussing a project. I wanted a 1-hand Western sword, with a double-edged, symmetrical profile. We had a couple back and forth discussing various options, including a type XIV. However, when I asked Kevin for his input he suggested we look at the Witham sword, which is at the British museum. It's a Type X sword, and you can see it here:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collect...p;partId=1

I loved this idea. This is an awe-inspiring sword, which retains some characteristics from previous generations. Kevin felt that the inscription was a bit much, and I agree with that. On my side, I suggested a different pommel shape and we settled on a Brazil nut shape. We agreed on materials (L6 for the blade, wrought iron for the fittings), and we were go.

The sword was finished in November and I asked Kevin to ship it to Jim for him to do his usual outstanding photography work. The blade is 32" and the sword overall is 38".

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is great to see this posted!. Kevin had posted to his Facebook but just with a general description of the effort and a few forging shots. The net end result looks great, congratulations.. L6 has been a favorite for Kevin's swords.

Cheers

GC

https://www.facebook.com/KevinRCashen/?pnref=story
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a great looking sword. Gael Fabre also did a version of the Witham sword with a Brazil nut pommel but this one looks more authentic.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very, very nice! I bet it feels great in hand. Love that pommel shape...my fave. I like the grainy texture of the leather on the scabbard...gives it a tough, no-nonsense look............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ohhh....cool. Just now really noticed the hammered finish on the scabbard chape!.....Sweet... Wink ......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a great looking sword and scabbard! Congratulations to both yourself and Kevin. The Brazil Nut pommel goes very well with the design of the rest of the sword.
Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I with I had thought of this myself. The more I look at it, the more I like it. The hilt is reminiscent of this early Peter Johnsson piece (second from left):

Attachment: 48.96 KB
PJ1.jpg

Attachment: 68.99 KB
PJ2.jpg

Joss Delage

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks all. It was fun to get back and forth on this with Kevin. We ended up with something much, much nicer than what I had started with, and I also think that the brazil nut pommel looks better than the original disk-shaped one.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Witham sword recreation from Kevin CashenProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic