Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Refurbishing a Windlass "Homildon Hill" SwordProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight Victor. I can confirm that the guard and pommel are NOT pot metal, when I disassembled my sword I drilled out the peen and the pommel is a solid alloy, and I also noted that significant hammering did not damage the material. I can't however identify exactly what this alloy consists of; it definitely has copper, tin, possibly zinc, etc, so it falls somewhere on the scale of brass-bronze, but I'm not sure where. I've seen bronze that's alloyed with certain metals that make it shiny enough to look like brass(which is what my pommel looked like). The exposed raw material is slowly tarnishing, so eventually how it patinas might help to identify exactly what it's made of.
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a side note Victor, are you planning on documenting your experience when you start working on that Windlass German War Sword? I, and I'm sure others would definitely be curious to see how that particular model's construction holds up compared to other Windlass products.
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I actually do it, I'll document as I go and share if I don't completely screw it up! Laughing Out Loud

Certain simpler tasks (which I can never seem to get to - no real workshop space or ownership of the "right" tools) are likely to go first - like shaping a haft and mounting a ~1400 AD halberd I got from Lutel, as well as a similar project for a spear I purchased from a Polish maker who made a splash here a couple of years ago then seemed to fade away. I'm hesitant to mount it since I was sent the wrong spear (a leaf blade style vs. the winged I said I wanted), and, while nice, the leaf blade isn't really of a type that fits in with the preferred cultural background within my collection (Germanic/HRE - just because of my ancestry).

One thing that I keep using as an excuse for the halberd is that it came with modern wood screws, and I'd dearly love to find some more period appropriate cut-head or rose-head nails of appropriate size, but I have generally only found small, decorative nails. I might be able to Dremel a modern nail to get the right look on the head after mounting, but they typically are too large in the shaft and not of a proper length to do the "bend back" style of mounting that you see in originals (at least those originals x-rayed for Waldman and a few pictures I've found elsewhere).

Once I get started on something, I usually get through it pretty efficiently; the problem is always convincing myself to start and that it really isn't as daunting as it seems before I get going...
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup, it's sharpened and they actually did a nice job on it, too. I'll try to take some pics and post them.
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know what you mean Victor; sometimes you just have to jump on a project as soon as you get a chance, or it'll never get started... or finished. I look forward to seeing it complete. On another note, I've decided after I finish the new scabbard, I'll put the sword up on the marketplace. I think I'll start it at $250 and see if it gets any takers, although I definitely won't go much lower than that; after working on it, this sword has been growing on me...
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry it took such a doggone long time to post photos - the digital camera was broken and seriously - please don't laugh - I barely know how to use a cellphone and it's camera. Any suggestions on how to correct. fix, or upgrade this beasty along the lines of what our thread starter did would be greatly appreciated. I actually don't want to lose the sword, I just would like the cross to look more normal.

Bob

PS. Yes, that's a real 1995 IBM/Lexmark Model M keyboard in the photos. I'm old school. I have a 1987 model M at work!
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Sat 24 Dec, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert, that is one warped crossguard. I actually just put the tips of mine in a vice and bent them back to straigh. I've also since then redone the grip and stripped the faux antique finish, I'll post pics when I get a chance.

The first step beyond that simple fix is disassembly. Like Sean explained earlier in the thread, take a chisel down the center line(side of the grip) and pop the wood core off. A good look at the tang underneath will determine the next steps.
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Sat 24 Dec, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is the best photo I can muster with no natural lighting on Christmas Eve

Attachment: 26.95 KB
rsz_img_20161224_1829134_rewind.jpg

Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 24 Dec, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks great, T ! I have yet to understand why anyone would want to cover up beautiful, natural bronze with a faux finish. Natural patina looks much better...but that's just me. Happy .......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Sun 25 Dec, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is gorgeous! I agree on the faux patina, as it really does nothing for the hardware. I'm leaving on vacation in a few days and will have a go at the grip after getting back. That pic really has me inspired.

Thank you!

Bob
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Mark and Robert! Robert if you've had a chance to pop that grip off I'd be very interested to see that tang and the peen it had. After perusing the construction database over on SBG I noticed a different Homildon with a pretty close tang to mine. Windlass doesn't always do a great peening job but so far the Homildons I've seen have all had some pretty solid peens(recessed and smooth over the pommel) Hope you had a good vacation

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Refurbishing a Windlass "Homildon Hill" SwordProduct Review
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: