Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > KoA / Lord of Battles aluminum maille... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: KoA / Lord of Battles aluminum maille...         Reply with quote

Does anyone have any aluminum maille from KoA, made by Lord of Battles? Or by GDFB, for that matter. My question is: Do they use aluminum rivets, or steel rivets? I'm thinking of getting a hauberk and coif for Ren-Fest wear, since my back feels like it's made of pure pain most times. It just seems to me that aluminum riveted with steel would be sturdier. WTF?! Then again, steel would add weight....and light-weight is the whole point. Soooooooo....... Question ..........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Olivier L-Beaulieu

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a maille shirt from KoA and it is all aluminium riveted. I am doing LARP with it and I have no problem. Non-anodized aluminium is quite dirty... Be prepared! Happy
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured as much. One of the reviews clearly states to wash it. WTF?! Carwash? I wonder what would be a good way to seal it once it's cleaned? Maybe a dip in some kind of clear coat, then let it drip-dry outside? WTF?! ..........McM
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Yeah, I figured as much. One of the reviews clearly states to wash it. WTF?! Carwash? I wonder what would be a good way to seal it once it's cleaned? Maybe a dip in some kind of clear coat, then let it drip-dry outside? WTF?! ..........McM

A large bucket of water with some dish soap should do the job. Put some string through the sleeves from side to side and tie it together so you have something to hang on, dunk in and out of bucket a few times, hang to dry. It's aluminum, so rust shouldn't be an issue, it will leave grey marks on your clothing though. A clear-coat would just flake off. I'd use a light oil in a spritz bottle. Yes, the maille will be a little greasy. It's a choice between grease marks and grey metal marks...
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm...........Maybe I'll just wear a gray undergarment! Laughing Out Loud .........McM
Alan Schiff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got the Lord of Battles aluminum hauberk. The rivets are aluminum, but I've had no problems with links opening up. Much nicer to wear for 6 hours at the Ren Fair than my steel haubergeon was! The rub-off is pretty bad, after 3 washes and bleach my shirt still has marks on it. I attempted to prevent this with both WD-40 silicon spray and acrylic clear-coat, but neither one worked 100%. I've read of people using acid to etch aluminum maille, but supposedly it changes the color.

Hope that helps,
Alan
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm.....I wasn't planning on wearing anything really fancy under it. Anything I wear over it, like a tabard, should only get any bad marks on the inside, in my thinking anyway. Oh well....Still got plenty of time until Scarborough. I'll figure out something...even if it's ponying up the extra dough for the anodized GDFB. The only thing I don't like about the GDFB hauberk is that it doesn't have the bottom splits. Could make it a bit difficult if I had to take off runnin' ! Laughing Out Loud That's okay though...I've got a pair of metal snips. Wink ....Thanks..........McM
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Take your time and try to find or make something in more pliable leather like mine. I have worn it for quite a while to the Tex Ren Fest and have had no issues(even in the hot months)..obviously I am in Texas as well.

PS...I have some cool extra pieces that I will be posting in the Marketplace at the beginning of
the year (after I finish adding more detail to them).PM me if you are interested and I can send you pics for an early preview.

Attachment: 314.38 KB
[ Download ]

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Phil.....I'm pretty set on mail....but....PM sent. Big Grin .........McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you can't post pics in a PM, my wifes mail is pjoymoore@gmail.com. Thanks again.....McM

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > KoA / Lord of Battles aluminum maille...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic