Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rondel Dagger Blade Types Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Toni Leivonen

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Rondel Dagger Blade Types         Reply with quote

Do we have any idea about how common sharp bladed rondels were compared to ones that were just spikes?

What would the blades have been used for? Was it to help in combat or for all sort of utility work?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rondel Dagger Blade Types         Reply with quote

Toni Leivonen wrote:
Do we have any idea about how common sharp bladed rondels were compared to ones that were just spikes?

What would the blades have been used for? Was it to help in combat or for all sort of utility work?

I don't have hard numbers, but I've seen far more sharpened rondel daggers than ones with unsharpened spike-like blades. Of the common dagger forms, ballock daggers and baselards are depicted more often in civilian contexts than rondel or quillon daggers. So, I'd say rondel daggers are most likely to have a military use rather than a utility purpose. But you'll find exceptions to every rule.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was always under the impression that the 'spike' daggers were used to penetrate mail and the gaps in between plate armor. They wouldn't need to be cutting sharp for that. I'm sure that the sharpened single-edge types were certainly used for day to day life. AND......I could be wrong about all of that. Wouldn't be the first time... Laughing Out Loud .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are cuts recorded in the rondel dagger treatises so sharp edged rondel daggers were common enough to have a martial art built around them. The use of the point is emphasized, though.
Alex Indman

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just IMHO - a true rondel (with typical big diameter rondels) would be plain inconvenient to use for any "sort of utility work", no matter what blade type...

Alex.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Indman wrote:
Just IMHO - a true rondel (with typical big diameter rondels) would be plain inconvenient to use for any "sort of utility work", no matter what blade type...

Alex.

This is quite true. Every person back in the day would have carried a common knife for eating and utility, and the rondel was a clear fighting weapon. There may have been superstitious feelings about using such a dagger for common tasks, and being such a specialized weapon that's hard to use in any other way would only emphasize this.
Toni Leivonen

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Ruhala wrote:
There are cuts recorded in the rondel dagger treatises so sharp edged rondel daggers were common enough to have a martial art built around them. The use of the point is emphasized, though.

I'm quite interested in learning more of these dagger cuts, could you possibly give some examples?
Fisher Lobdell

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I doubt there being superstitions about the use of different knives. WTF?! It just sounds ridiculous.
People didn't have a superstition for everything. Plus some (if not most) didn't believe stupid superstitions. But there are some crazy superstitions out there. Laughing Out Loud

"Absence of evidence is not necessarily the evedence of Absence." Ewart Oakeshotte.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the bottom line is that if you have tried to use a rondel for pretty much anything that is not martial it is almost useless, so yes you could use for other things, but the eating knife you also carry will likely be a better choice, or better still your friends bauernwehr or similar.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken, in German there is a term used specifically for daggers that are meant to pierce armour, and the term seems to be typically reserved for the so-called "spike" rondel: panzerstecher. Assuming I've used the term correctly, it might be useful to for the sake of clarity to distinguish between the two types by terming one the rondel (blades that can slice and stab) and the other the panzerstecher.

Edit: From my image search, it looks as though panzerstecher is a generic term in German for any sword or blade specialized for piercing armour, whether a rondel, estoc, the peculiar dueling swords from the Solothurner fechtbuch, or some other weapon. So maybe not the best term then.
Alan E

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
I think the bottom line is that if you have tried to use a rondel for pretty much anything that is not martial it is almost useless, so yes you could use for other things, but the eating knife you also carry will likely be a better choice, or better still your friends bauernwehr or similar.

Tod

Well I have one of your lovely rondels Tod and have found it excellent for carving larger lumps of meat! In the absence of a dedicated carving knife it is better for this than my eating knives because it is large enough (and wonderfully sharp Wink ).

Member of Exiles Medieval Martial Arts.
Currently teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rondel Dagger Blade Types
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic