Polearms, Pollaxes and Poll Hammers
I have been getting interested in Polearms lately. After watching a video showing an A&A Knightly Poleaxe's haft failing at the socket from a blow to a helmet, I l have been looking into different manufacturers of pollaxes and pole hammers and polearms. There are a number of them in Europe that I have found little information on. So... I am looking for people's views and reviews of replicas and manufacturers from Wulflund, Lutel, Arms and Armor from Czech, Windlass, Arms and Armor (US) Etc.
Thank you.
I do not own it, but the Windlass Pole Axe has always appealed to me, and looks to be very well built. I also like the Deepeeka Bec de Fauchon. They are both currently in stock at KOA. Just fwiw..........McM
BTW...The Windlass Pole Axe is under the 'spears' category, just in case you look for 'axes'. :) ........McM
I actually own those two. The Windlass poleaxe seems like a halberd on a short pole. The Deepeka is nice but seems like it is a 2/3 to 3/4 scale weapon. It is small.
Greg E wrote:
I actually own those two. The Windlass poleaxe seems like a halberd on a short pole.

That's because it IS a halberd. A pet peeve of mine is the misuse of the word "pole" and "poll". Medieval weapon terminology is a lot easier to understand when one learns that we use some words differently today than they did at the time. A medieval hammer was a spike - what we would call a "pick" today. What we call a hammer today was called a poll at the time. The type of shaft is irrelevant - "poll" and "pole" are completely unrelated words. The etymology of poll can be traced back to a word that means "head" (hence the words "poll tax" and "election poll"). Sledge-like hammers were called "mauls". The word "mallet" literally means "little maul".

[ Linked Image ]

The weapon on the right is a warhammer. The pick-like spike was called a "hammer" while the flat bludgeoning part on the back was called a "poll". This weapon was also called a "pollhammer" - a hammer with a poll on the back. Most hammers had much shorter spikes. The weapon on the left was called a "pollaxe" - an axe with a poll on the back. Most weapons that are called pollaxes today should really be classed as halberds. If it doesn't have a poll then it can't be called a pollaxe.
I included the word polearm to hopefully encompass the different terminologies attached to these weapons. The replications and manufacturers of these weapons are the focus of my investigation. I have seen the discussions about the names of these and hope this will not override my topic.
Check out Baltimore Knife and Sword. They make several different types of these weapons, mostly un-mounted. They will also make anything you want, to your design-historical or not. Their steel is great quality, tough and durable. :D ....McM

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

All contents © Copyright 2003-2006 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Full-featured Version of the forum