Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Annual server fund drive. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another " BUMP ": It's not over until Nathan decides that the yearly fund drive is over ...... so ' I'm sort of like " THE TERMINATOR " I will not stop until my " programming " is changed or someone has me falling into molten steel like in TERMINATOR 2 ...... Mostly joking .... Wink Razz Cool

Note in a recent new Topic about the joys and perils about buying and selling in general for their collection, but there where many comments about how useful having " The Market Place Forum " on this site, and just a reminder about one of the really good reasons why someone should support this site. Wink

Good Topic to have a look at: http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=315340#315340

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some donations still trickling in, thanks to those who have continued to donate. Big Grin Cool

So ........... Please Donate ........" OR THE BUNNY GETS IT ".......... Razz Eek!

( Disclaimer: No bunnies where hARMED with this " BUMP "......... LOL, sorry couldn't resist a very bad pun Wink )

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again to people who have made some recent donations, I just made another small donation myself to push the amount over the $2,600 line ..... only $380 more to a nice round number of $3,000 which would be close to the average amount raised in previous years: The highest amount was a few years ago and just shy of $4,000.

Like I've written before in previous posts any extra money is a cushion against unexpected expenses and it also gives Nathan some room and cash to enhance the site with an occasional contest prize.

So, this is another " BUMP ", I try to keep these in intervals of at least 3 or 4 days so as to not be too annoying ..... Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

Also, I do put my money where my mouth is by giving the donation drive another little personal push.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just anther regular " BUMP " ..... at the moment the Topic has gotten about 2,900 views, but this may be a lot of the same people looking at the posts more than one time to see if there is anything new.

I generally try to also add some motivational stuff, but most of it has already been said in the above posts, but maybe there are still some people who might want to make a donation who haven't seen this Topic before.

In short, to recap: The minimum objective has been achieved, extra money still helps the site in case of unexpected expenses and gives Nathan some cash to have contest(s).

I also think that any extra money does help in keeping Nathan motivated to keep this site active considering the " ENORMOUS " amount of unpaid time he had put into creating and running this site for more than 12 years or so.

If over this " decade plus " he probably earned an hourly wage 1 cent an hour ..... if even that Sad

In addition any money was put back into the site and in actuality he never paid himself a salary and run this site as a business ..... so I consider any extra money raised as a thank you to Nathan, and as a sign of appreciation by people who enjoy the site.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just an ' It's not over until it's over BUMP " ........ Wink Razz Big Grin Cool

Keeping it short(er) this time: Donations have stalled again.

Oh, and a note referring back to the early posts on this Topic: Many of the professional makers who get free access to " A FORUM of their own to a built in audience of potential buyers haven't proportionally contributed relative to what they get from exposure on this site ..... Sad ( Except for a very few who did .... thanks ).

Also anyone who has bought or sold on the Marketplace Forum, or might want to sell or buy in the future have access to the same people here and it it in their interest to support the site ....... without this site finding a buyer or a seller it would be more difficult just posting to the general public rather than to people more likely to be interested and willing to pay what some of the collectables are worth !

Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is pretty clear that Nathan's generosity is being taken for granted. It might be time to charge a subscription to the Makers and Manufacturers subforum. No donation = no posting rights. Eg. $10 per year lets you post to any thread in this subforum. $50 per year lets you start a new thread in this subforum.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All done (Anonymous donation of course - seems to be the default when submitting Happy). Damn...the pound really has taken a hit vs dollars. Thx for pushing this forward Jean.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
It is pretty clear that Nathan's generosity is being taken for granted. It might be time to charge a subscription to the Makers and Manufacturers subforum. No donation = no posting rights. Eg. $10 per year lets you post to any thread in this subforum. $50 per year lets you start a new thread in this subforum.

I've noticed a curious paradox. With a few notable exceptions, (Tod, Brian K., and Tomek come to mind, and my sincere apologies to anyone else I have left out), almost none of the makers and people who can make revenue from this forum donate and help to support its upkeep. By contrast, many people who won't make any money from this website are happy to contribute to support its existence. Why is it that people who have no financial stake in myArmoury are more likely to value it, while many who do gain direct, tangible benefit do not? It's almost as though when there's money involved your willingness to see and appreciate value goes down. I laud every maker who does provide support; I am saddened by every maker who does not.

PS: I have made a donation to this site in the past three months, so I'm not asking the makers to do more than I have.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
All done (Anonymous donation of course - seems to be the default when submitting Happy).

The donation isn't really anonymous if you announce to everyone that you donated.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:

I've noticed a curious paradox. With a few notable exceptions, (Tod, Brian K., and Tomek come to mind, and my sincere apologies to anyone else I have left out), almost none of the makers and people who can make revenue from this forum donate and help to support its upkeep. By contrast, many people who won't make any money from this website are happy to contribute to support its existence. Why is it that people who have no financial stake in myArmoury are more likely to value it, while many who do gain direct, tangible benefit do not? It's almost as though when there's money involved your willingness to see and appreciate value goes down. I laud every maker who does provide support; I am saddened by every maker who does not.

PS: I have made a donation to this site in the past three months, so I'm not asking the makers to do more than I have.

Looking at the " Industry Professional " user group there are a bit more than 200 registered members: I assume that not all are still active and currently still posting Topics to the Makers and Manufacturers FORUM ......

But if we lowball the active members to 50, if each gave a yearly contribution of $30 that would raise $1500. If there are 100 active this would raise $3000 and cover the yearly hosting costs.

Any extra money coming from the general membership would permit Nathan to have many more contests and prizes.

One solution might be that all " ACTIVE " Industry Professionals should also have to be a member of the " Benefactors " user group and that would generate a regular source of funds for the site.

Nathan seems to feel that asking for money might compromise the ethics of the site because of some perceived favoritism to Industry Professional having to pay for membership ?

Since all of them would be paying there should not be any issues with favoritism in my opinion.

Another reason is that he wanted to have a many Industry Professional on this site as a resource for the site and he may have considered that charging a fee would limit or reduce the number of Industry professionals showing up here !?

I don't think that Nathan is interested in having this site being " A Cash Cow " or a commercial entity, but it should at least be self-sufficient and raise operating funds as a " Non-profit " site.

Note: I think that any money paid by Industry Professional could be deducted from their taxable income as an expense and thus costing them a lot less than the small annual fees they might be paying. Wink

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a closing not quite " BUMP " as The amount total statistics is not now showing or being updated, I assume that Nathan considers the yearly donation drive closed ?

Thanks to everyone who made a generous contribution, and even the smallest amounts where generous and appreciated. Big Grin Cool

Just keep in mind that donations and upgrades to membership can be done at any time during the year and that usually some donations do trickle in all year long ..... so anyone motivated to give a donation is invited to do so at all times. Wink

Gregg Sobocinski

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for your efforts toward the fund drive, Jean. We really do appreciate it.

And yet another "thanks" to Nathan for creating and maintaining this site.

Not to be overlooked, I really want to recognize how well the moderators keep the discussions respectful. Top notch work!

Thanks for another great year of myArmoury!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who participated in this year's donation drive. It really helped a lot. I wasn't able to pay the hosting bill as a single annual payment this year, so I've been paying monthly. This costs more, so it sure was nice that we passed the donation drive goal by a bit. The "annual" rate offer starts in July based on when my contract started, but I just went ahead and used the donation money to pay off the rest of the year's bill through July to get it off my plate.

Cheers to everyone.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Annual server fund drive.
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: