Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Mail (male?) skirts..... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Mail (male?) skirts.....         Reply with quote

And I ain't talkin' about a kilt..........Anyway, I was thinking today.....What if you had a breast and back plate harness, but you didn't want to wear a fauld and tassets. Well, that would leave your butt hangin' out in the wind.(Not to mention OTHER parts.) So, you decide to go with a wrap-around mail skirt. How would be the best way to keep the skirt up around your waist? Would you run braided cord or leather through it, or would you actually attach it to a belt somehow? Would the belt need suspenders, reckon? Also, what do you think would be best if the mail links were just butted, instead of riveted? I thought, maybe, sew the whole thing very well onto a piece of heavy canvas the same size as the skirt. Yes? What would you guys do? What was historical? Anyone?......................McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They're known as paunces or pans of mail. What limited documentary evidence I've seen calls for them to use belts, so I would expect them to be sewn to the belt in the same manner as aventails are sewn to the leather hung from bascinet vervelles. Obviously there is a greater chance of butted mail coming loose, so more stitching or thicker lacing might be desirable. How often mail was lined is debated. It was certainly done with aventails, but I've seen no evidence for it being used with paunces, though it might have been.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Matt......I'm thinking of going with the idea of sewing it to a padded fabric skirt. They have a $30-ish 'paunce' on KoA, and a padded skirt for about the same. The mail is butted, but I think I can get enough string sewn through it to make it hold pretty well. Either that, or I'll get a riveted one and use leather lacing to thread it onto a leather belt. That would give it a little more 'swish' when I walk. (Sorry....been wearing a kilt too long. Laughing Out Loud ) Anyone else have an idea, or some pics??......McM
Randy Cieszynski

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What about lacing directly to your arming doublet?? That is what I have done with mine.No need to add the extra bulk of a belt under a breastplate.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea, Randy. Because of the way my armor is constructed, I don't wear a doublet or a gambeson. I wear what I call a 'reinforced tunic' that I made myself. Too hot in Texas yet for all that padding. Not to downplay your idea, but as far as my armor goes, a belted skirt (excuse me...paunce) would fit under it easily. I'm kinda shaped like a 'V', with the exception of a slight potbelly. I'm more worried about the thing staying up around my waist. My wife accuses me of taking that drug.....Noassatall. Laughing Out Loud I think some suspenders might be in order for me. They would be hidden under my plates. Thanks again.....McM
Randy Cieszynski

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark, no problem. Suspenders will work. I used to use them to suspend my leg harness before I started using my arming cotte. And I can definitely appreciate trying not to overheat. I am putting together a more light weight kit for fun. As I am getting older my back isn't what it was so I am looking into lighter weight alternatives.I picked up a few helmets from a company called wyrmwick out of England. They are polyurethane and unless you pick them up they look like real metal! Bottom line ....Have Fun!!!
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like we're in the same boat, Randy. I have back trouble also. May be time to have a house-cleaning of armor and just get a set of aluminum mail. I've been on this Earth for fifty years, and hard work and hard living have set in. Cry ........McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, Randy.....That Wyrmwick armor is waaaaaay cool!!!! I've never heard of them before. That stuff is awesome!...McM
Randy Cieszynski

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

I know!! Glad you liked Wyrmwick. (no affiliation, just a happy customer) Like I said I have picked up 2 of their helmets recently and I am very impressed with the quality and finish of their work. They look like real metal! I think they are a great alternative for someone with back or neck issues. My only criticism is that they don't offer different sizes, but they seem to be growing and adding new things all of the time, so who knows. Now if I can just find the pvc maille like in the Lord of the Rings movies:)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Mail (male?) skirts.....
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic