Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Wallace A479 German longsword repro Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I was focusing on that one, too.

I won't be using this then, but I'll keep the idea of the throat extending above the roping, applied to the first example above. Will you go for the cut out heart shape? I would't, would never hear the end of it when showing the sword to friend/family - I'd swap that for a fleur de lys or whatever Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I was focusing on that one, too.

I won't be using this then, but I'll keep the idea of the throat extending above the roping, applied to the first example above. Will you go for the cut out heart shape? I would't, would never hear the end of it when showing the sword to friend/family - I'd swap that for a fleur de lys or whatever Happy

I don't know what the final design would be. I have some thinking to do on that.

I do like heart motif though because they're historically appropriate. It's so commonly seen.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien Messenge wrote
Quote:
Now I'll say this right now so it's out of the way: Tod's reproduction is outstanding,

Thanks Julien for your very kind words and all the other very nice things you said; also very well defined on how the blade and sword feel.

Personally I think this is one of the best pieces I have made and its great for it to get such an appreciative reception - thank you.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
J. Nicolaysen

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice! Great work Tod, and Julien, it's been a great thread to follow. Scabbard will be exciting to see. Great review and pics also, Julien
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Well I was made an offer for the last of these swords and I weakened and so I am back to the weapon maker without a weapon; so I decided on the scabbard I was going to have for myself anyway.

My tastes in scabbards are generally pretty plain and so I followed my instincts on this one. I went for a lashed suspension system that is fairly common in German swords and again is fairly plain; it is retained at the top with a prominent riser and at the mid point by passing the straps through the back of the outer.

The scabbard is made from a poplar core with a stamped veg tan outer and stamped straps. The chape is fabricated from iron and all the belt fittings are in bronze.

I hope you like it.

Tod

Attachment: 39.99 KB
IMGP8788.JPG

Attachment: 51.54 KB
IMGP8783.JPG

Attachment: 105.33 KB
IMGP8786.JPG

Attachment: 112.87 KB
IMGP8787.JPG

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Leonardo Fontenla

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Impresionantes!! Chapeaux!!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An absolutely perfect pairing and execution (of course)! I share your taste for simpler scabbards, and yours shows that these need not be plain or crude. There's just enough decoration there for the piece to stand on its own, but not so much that it takes away from the elegance of the sword. Also, it's always great to see scabbard and sword paired according to culture and period. I see many sets with elements that could be separated by a century or more, stylistically. This one looks like it could have been taken directly from one of the ImaReal images.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is absolutely stunning! I too share a love of semi-understated scabbards. Of course, I'm pretty much a minimalist anyway. That is first rate! Not too little, not too much. Bravo!!............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You sir have upped your game! Bravo!
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Julien M

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Picture perfect Tod - I wish mine will turn remotely as handsome Happy
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

HI All,

The scabbard is made from Veg Tan leather which has been stamped and dyed oxblood and fitted with a chape based on one from the Wallace Collection. The Wallace chape was fitted to a thinner sword so this is not a direct copy but made in the 'style of'; the chape was made to suit the locket.

Both chape and locket are fabricated from steel and have the heavy roped sections brazed on and the rest of the decoration is filed and pounced (punched) in.

As is common for any metalwork for a Landsknecht, it is both overblown and busy and I hope you like the result.

Of course any questions or comments are very welcome.

Tod

Attachment: 30.2 KB
IMGP8893.JPG

Attachment: 92.36 KB
IMGP8894.JPG

Attachment: 81.05 KB
IMGP8895.JPG

Attachment: 137.98 KB
IMGP8896.JPG

Attachment: 117.08 KB
IMGP8898.JPG

Attachment: 49.66 KB
IMGP8899.JPG

Attachment: 61.79 KB
IMGP8900.JPG

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh my goodness gracious me..........It looks even better. I love that color....and I don't have a single weapon with it. THAT may have to change! Fabulous work!..........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Julien M

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This fits the bill perfectly Tod - having put some thoughts into this myself it's obvious you have a gift to come up with appropriate period accurate designs (and that you have the skill to execute them!). I see many modern scabbards done with inappropriate techniques or drifting very far from historical sources but yours are consistently bang on. Your metalwork on scabbards is also second to none, and a very unique offering on the current market.

Period aside, I'm curious, why do you associate the sword with landsknechts?
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Mark and Julien for your very generous comments - I really appreciate it.

I think when I referred to to Landsknecht, I really was talking about the scabbard ironwork, which may or may not be Landsknecht, but stylistically it screams this at me. I guess the sword could have been, but I have neither looked for nor found a picture with Landsknecht wearing this hilt type.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like both executions you've done in this topic: both scabbard and sword sets. They both are distinctive but in the same family. The first one, I suppose when compared to the second one, is understated and elegant. When I first saw it I thought it was a perfect compliment to the sword.

The second set, the one with the oxblood red scabbard, is just about my favorite scabbard/sword set I've seen. I'm biased for a number reasons, not the least of which is that I tend to really be interested in late Medieval/early Renaissance complex-hilted longswords right now and the scabbard compliments the piece perfectly. The heavy roping on the fittings really seals the deal for me and ties it together with the sword. The tooling/ornamentation on the leather itself is the perfect amount, as well. It could have very easily gone overboard and competed with the rest of the details of the set. It shows the right amount of restraint and lets the other details shine through.

Really great work all around.

I'm eager to see what Julien comes up with for the last remaining sword! I know it will be awhile, but I know it's going to be good. I wonder which direction it will take and how it will fit into the group! Something to look forward to!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I'm eager to see what Julien comes up with for the last remaining sword! I know it will be awhile, but I know it's going to be good. I wonder which direction it will take and how it will fit into the group! Something to look forward to!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Nathan Happy And you are right, it will take time for sure.
I'm still undecided for mine. Since Tod has produced one with a broad metal shape, I will revert to my first idea to bring in some variety. As a main inspiration, I'll use this sword scabbard seen in the musee de l'armee below.

My pictures are so bad that it will imply another visit there before I can tell, but the main components are by-knives & pick in front, including a leather cap to fully enclose them (if anyone happens to have better pics, please PM me!). I will adapt the design, as I think that the by-knives cap is actually fitted on the guard and I'm not keen to do this.

The all thing will be fully carved - which implies a lot of research (think early cinquedea scabbards, Like the one Martin did here: https://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=33516, one of the best DIY projects I've seen in a long time).

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien-
I'll be excited to see the full treatment with the by-knives! That sounds great.

Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've mounted one of Tod's A479 guards on a narrower blade (HT Bastard) that resembles the type found with other such hilts. This allows me to make an observation about the "finger" protection. Although the narrower blade does allow the user to put an index finger around the blade, the side ring would have to be much more open to make this practical. I have relatively slim hands, and the side ring digs into my knuckles before I can get a secure grip with my index finger around the blade. Looking at other examples, I think the side rings are all too small to allow this.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Wallace A479 German longsword repro
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: