A question about gorgets and helmets
I`m not too experienced in armour but I was wondering if the gorget was worn under or over the helmet and also how the helmet and/or gorget attaches to the rest of the armour.

Thanks
Ben
Re: A question about gorgets and helmets
Ben Brewer wrote:
I`m not too experienced in armour but I was wondering if the gorget was worn under or over the helmet and also how the helmet and/or gorget attaches to the rest of the armour.

Thanks
Ben

Typically it was worn underneath the helmet. Consider the direction of over-head blows; you want the helmet to overlap the gorget, so that points cannot enter between the gorget and helmet.

The gorget might attach to the armour by points, but likely if it was a two-piece gorget (front and back), it was simply strapped together and rested on the armour around the neck. A single-piece gorget, like the 'bevor', was typically strapped around the neck. The helmet simply rests on the head; most types would have had a chin-strap for security.

EDIT to note: Only a few helmets were actually attached directly to the armour, and they were almost always for the single purpose of jousting. Otherwise, you require a pretty decent degree of head mobility in order to look all around you, especially considering that most helmet designs will restrict your field of vision pretty sharply...
Ben, the answer to your first question is 'yes'. You have to specify a particular type of armour. Early 15th c. English? Mid 15th century Italian heavy cavalry harness? 17th century cuirassier armour? Grand bacinets were worn in the field by both English and French in the first half of the 15th century (and later, in some cases), and they don't even have a separate gorget.
Arguably though a bascinet uses its mail aventail in place of a gorget...
I always forget to mention the period when talking about arms and armour.

Thanks for the replies I wasn`t too certain before but now it is a bit obvious.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: