Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bad luck with KOA.... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Bad luck with KOA....         Reply with quote

Man, did I ever make a mistake. I ordered a full set of the Dark Drake armor from them just for the hell of it. I ordered everything by their measurements, all medium. Just as one example: the breast and back plates. They say the breastplate will fit a 46'' ....maybe it was 48''. I pulled it out of the box.........and that damned thing would only fit 'Mini-Me' from the Austin Powers movies. And buckles and straps........Good Lord. No wonder knights had squires to help them put on their armor. Impossible to do by yourself. I also ordered the darkened sallet helm to match. They sell it in medium and large. I think the medium was 26'' in circumference. My head is 23'' . That helm wouldn't fit a cantaloupe it was so small. I didn't even bother with the rest of it. It's now boxed back up and on its way to KOA . But....I haven't given up on them yet. I just ordered a round/flat/riveted/darkened haubergon from them, as well as a matching coif in a large. They say the haubergon is for up to a 50'' chest. Well...my chest circumference is a little over 41''. We'll see how that goes. I'm not wearing a gambeson under it.......not in Texas weather.........just a cotton tunic.....also in a large size. Take some advice from me............Know EXACTLY what you want , even if you have to make someone there go get it and measure it right out of the box. Don't get me wrong in any way....I still love and trust KOA. Anyone is allowed to make mistakes from time to time. This time I just took a different approach........better a little too much than not enough. Big Grin .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is this really a KOA issue or a Dark Drake issue?

If they go by manufacturer sizing...

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would say the prime offender is Dark Drake if the standard measurements on their armour is that far off in reality. However, KoA should also take some time to check over such products and make sure that they are being delivered and then selling products that match the item descriptions posted on their website.

Better luck next time!

-Gregory
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I won't deal with KOA anymore because their customer services and mangers are not competent and have no vision of customer loyalty

Last edited by Harry Marinakis on Mon 29 Aug, 2016 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
I would say the prime offender is Dark Drake if the standard measurements on their armour is that far off in reality. However, KoA should also take some time to check over such products and make sure that they are being delivered and then selling products that match the item descriptions posted on their website.

Better luck next time!

-Gregory

I agree...during my 14 years in the sword and knife business I checked every piece that came in before it was tagged for sale. During that time I found a lot of needed repairs and a lot of stuff went straight back to the vendor for replacement. KOA, especially considering the variety of their wares, should inspect and be satisfied with everything they sell before offering it to the public.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah I had to stop buying anything from them after the last three swords I ordered from them were WAAAAYYY out of spec..to the point of being almost unusable...and not just out of spec from their measurements but from other examples of the same sword that I have owned or handled....called their CS and was basically told to go !@#$ myself
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shawn Henthorn wrote:
....called their CS and was basically told to go !@#$ myself

That was my issue as well.

After buying numerous swords, I bought $15 worth of buckles, advertised as 1-inch buckles. They were half-inch buckles. I sent the manager a photo of the buckle with a ruler to show the advertised size was completely wrong.

Customer services responded by saying that a 1-inch belt would still fit if you cut the belt down to a half-inch. Then it isn't a 1-inch buckle, is it?

CS wanted me to pay a $15 restocking fee to return $15 worth of merchandise that wasn't as advertised.

When I finally got to speak with the manager I was basically told to go !@#$ myself.
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Has something really critical changed in the "who or how" of Kult of Athena's business practice? After years of such high praise from customers, it seems that there is a growing trend of bad reviews. I think that it is important to assess a business by their current practices and not the past, yet I have not seen anyone bold enough to step out and say "hello, KoA is not what it used to be" and collect enough reasons to make people believe so. If there is something negative going on with their practice, then that should be recognized and referred to potential patrons.

In the past I always had great service from KoA, after making perhaps a half dozen different purchases, usually comprising several items. But it has been at least three years, so my experience really shouldn't mean anything at all right now.

-Gregory
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah it seems almost like a switch was thrown around 2014...I did couple thousand dollars with them almost every year since 2006 with great results and cs...then starting around Yule of 2013 things started to go wrong...don't know
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I asked the KOA manager if they were willing to lose me as a loyal customer for $15 worth of merchandise, and she said she didn't care whether or not I remained a loyal customer, she simply wasn't going to let me return the merchandise unless I paid for return shipping and a restocking fee..

So now KOA has a very vocal and very dissatisfied former customer.

This happened about 1-1/2 to 2 years ago, as a matter of fact.
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't know if U.S. law is very different than Australian in this regard, but here if you ordered a thing and what a retailer gives you is not the thing, it is very much their problem to fix it. We have public servants with Norwegian titles that look after this sort of thing so you can not have to worry about the issue yourself.
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did you guys speak to Ryan or did he quit KoA? Ryan has always been good to us customers.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My last purchases at Kult of Athena a few months ago went O.K. , so the problems mentioned I haven't experienced myself so far.

Is Ryan still in charge ? Are there new employees who have a bad attitude and seem rather arrogant if I take some of these complaints as accurate?

Pissing off people who have been repeat customers spending thousands of dollars for a $15 restocking fee seems rather short sighted and stupid to me .... I can see where a low level " bad employee " might not care either way, but the owner of the business should have a good hard talk with " Customer Service " if they make him lose good customers, and years of an accumulated good reputation for great customer service.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:
I won't deal with KOA anymore because they're a bunch of idiots

It should not be necessary for me to have to explain this. You should already know that this type of post is not appropriate here. Namecalling and personal attacks of any kind are not welcome. Take the time to type a few sentences instead of just having a namecalling outburst. Not only will you stay in bounds here on this site, people may actually read your post without dismissing you immediately.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:
I won't deal with KOA anymore because their customer services and mangers are not competent and have no vision of customer loyalty

Satisfactory to you?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:
Harry Marinakis wrote:

Satisfactory to you?

Yup... and it actually tells your story, too.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
My last purchases at Kult of Athena a few months ago went O.K. , so the problems mentioned I haven't experienced myself so far.

Is Ryan still in charge ? Are there new employees who have a bad attitude and seem rather arrogant if I take some of these complaints as accurate?

Pissing off people who have been repeat customers spending thousands of dollars for a $15 restocking fee seems rather short sighted and stupid to me .... I can see where a low level " bad employee " might not care either way, but the owner of the business should have a good hard talk with " Customer Service " if they make him lose good customers, and years of an accumulated good reputation for great customer service.

If I were the owner, I'd also be very concerned about a manager who dismisses customer concerns over small issues, regardless of who is to blame. As they say, the customer is always right.

I also wonder about Ryan, who was the only person I can recall dealing with. He was very helpful and reasonable in my experience, especially when it came to taking in trade-ins at wholesale price.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally, I can recall dealing with Ryan and... Ashley, I think? Nothing but good things to say about either of them, at any rate.
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
I`ve had very good dealings with Ryan. I hope he`s still there. KOA has allways been the go to place for things sword-ish,unlike others who dont actually stock anything,when KOA sells something, its on hand.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W ell.....I started this, now maybe I can have a little sunshine on a rainy day. Yes, the 'Drake' order probably was the manufacturers fault, or a wrong size label on the box, or who knows what. But, KOA took it all right back. I haven't spoken to Ryan in a while, but Ashley is always happy and helpful when I speak with her. She has gone out of her way to assist me several times. So has Ryan. I recently ordered a haubergon from them with a matching coif, as well as a long sleeve tunic, and some 'Dark Warrior' greaves and bracers. I ordered it all in large size, and guess what........it all fit perfectly. The haubergon was advertised as being able to fit a 50" chest. My 41" chest pretty well filled it up. It came to just below my elbows and knees, just like I hoped it would, and the bracers and greaves come to just inside. Perfect. If a guy with a 50" chest COULD get it on, you would just about have to cut him out with tin-snips! Laughing Out Loud Other than the 'Drake' thing, I have never had a problem with KOA, its managers or staff. I'll admit that a small problem presents its self every now and then, but none have ever been anything that I , or KOA couldn't fix. Hey....everybody has to groan and gripe about something most every day. I guess that was just one of those days for me. KOA is still my 'go-to' place, and until a better one comes along, I'm gonna stick with 'em. OH...by the way.... All that Dark Drake, Dark Warrior, King, etc. is made by Epic Armoury in Denmark, but I guess y'all knew that. Anyway, everybody have a great day. Don't feel alone.... I've been told to go 'F' myself too....Just not by KOA ! ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bad luck with KOA....
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: