Customized Albion 15th century bastard sword
Hi guys,

Other than making full custom pieces, I also offer a sword customization service. Here's one example of what is possible.

This Albion Squire line bastard sword (http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/squire/sword-squire-bastard.htm) was reground to give it a proper blade/edge geometry, sharpened, re-polished and then fitted with a new waisted and facetted grip.

Quite a beautiful sword now...

Great work. Sexy grip.
You've given this sword life and pizzazz. It looks like it could fit right in with the rest of the Albion Next Generation line.
Really is a nice transformation.
I'm glad you like it. The Squire line swords can really be turned into something special but it is a good bit of work. Fitting for capable DIYers or, of course, custom jobs.
Squireline
Hi Lukas, what exactly is the problem/difference between the Squireline Bastard and the NextGen Mercenary? Dont want to argue or something, just curious...i have them both right here and besides better polish and gripwork i fail to see any difference?? Am i too blind to see them?
Re: Squireline
Holger Mahling wrote:
Hi Lukas, what exactly is the problem/difference between the Squireline Bastard and the NextGen Mercenary? Dont want to argue or something, just curious...i have them both right here and besides better polish and gripwork i fail to see any difference?? Am i too blind to see them?

I am pretty sure they are in fact the same sword.

The only difference between Albion's Squire Line and their Next Generation is that, besides there being a greater diversity of blade shapes and hilt forms in the Next Generation, the NG swords tend to be better finished and fitted overall.

The Squire Line on the other hand are the same blades, not ground down nearly as finely, with thicker edges and cheaper hilt construction (guard and pommel being quite adequate though, by 'cheaper' I mean they don't wrap the hilt nearly as nicely). In particular that wide type XV blade is one they use quite a bit-- SL 15th C. Bastard, NG Mercenary, Castellan and Constable.
Squireline
Thanx! Yes i am aware of those specific differences. By the way, that reshaped Roven handles like dream now...
Re: Squireline
Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Holger Mahling wrote:

I am pretty sure they are in fact the same sword.

The only difference between Albion's Squire Line and their Next Generation is that, besides there being a greater diversity of blade shapes and hilt forms in the Next Generation, the NG swords tend to be better finished and fitted overall.

The Squire Line on the other hand are the same blades, not ground down nearly as finely, with thicker edges and cheaper hilt construction (guard and pommel being quite adequate though, by 'cheaper' I mean they don't wrap the hilt nearly as nicely). In particular that wide type XV blade is one they use quite a bit-- SL 15th C. Bastard, NG Mercenary, Castellan and Constable.

Indeed, as Jeff wrote, the Squire line has rougher fittings, a plain grip and the blade isn't ground down to sharp but left with a thick 1-2mm edge. The main functional "issue" is the edge thickness that especially on these narrow blades needs substantial regrinding across the entire bevel to bring down to a proper edge. The way it comes it's hardly usable. Hilt modifications are largely aesthetic on the other hand, functionally there is little to complain about.

I'm glad the Roven is working out for you ;)
Yeah the Roven works cool now...strange thing with the Bastard i bought from Bill...that edge is pretty good. And also my Squireline Vinland came from Albion Europe advertised as "butterknife sharp"...and i dont want to get hit with that edge! Not really sharp enough to cut but way under a milimeter for good!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: